Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• Of course I am biased, but the guy did not fall over until there was no one around him?

• 3goals yet again!!

• Up to 4th happy days!!

• Great stuff boys. It is nice to feel like your team always has three goals in them!

• Suddenly next week's game is a top of the table clash. COYB!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Suddenly next week's game is a top of the table clash. COYB!

I'd take a draw to be honest.

• Id take a week with no more injuries

• @robin said:
    I'd take a draw to be honest.

I'd take a 102nd minute penalty win.

• The boys next level.......dreaming about one of our "some transfer news coming up" tweets in January

• be lucky to keep him past January but if Holloway still incharge there will be a better chance.

• First half was quite a tight affair, with few real chances. Both teams were fairly narrow and looking to play off second balls into the centre forward. Cancelled each other out a little bit with both defences on top.

Second half I thought we looked fitter, more competitive and able to mix things up in midfield getting Eze and Saunders on the ball. Cambridge seemed to lack imagination and struggled to create a great deal. Both Stewart and El Abd did well to keep their two goliath strikers fairly quiet.

Did well not to allow Tyson's injury to disrupt things and Sido did reasonably well in place of Harriman despite one big mistake first half.

Eze's goals were absolutely superb and Umerah did well to tuck away the third having been thwarted moments before.

Great to see Bayo prompting Eze to enjoy the moment at the end.

• 2 absolute stunners loved the way he set himself up for the 2nd and the keeper was nowhere near either of them.

• One left foot and one right foot. What a player

• Thank you @BSE. Hate to say it, but he makes it look so........

• In amongst Eze's heroics and some solid defending it's easy to overlook how well Super Sammy Saunders played today. Dictated the game when he had the ball and a terrier without it. No wonder he collapsed to the ground at the end.

• Can QPR recall him prior to the end of the loan period? I sincerely hope not.

• No, he is on the same loan as Max Muller no recall.

• @rmjlondon It was absolutely clear they put on a splint before taking Tyson off. They also carried him around the back of the main stand rather than down the tunnel. It's a reasonably assumption he went straight into an ambulance and then to hospital. You are a tosser sometimes, you really are.

• edited October 2017

Meanwhile on a more constructive note. I said a couple of weeks ago that I didn't think it would be possible to play both Saunders and Eze together. Clearly I was wrong!
    Excellent away performance today, full of goal threat even without Tyson. In fact I really thought that Umerah put in a shift second half and deserved his goal.
    That said the two strikes from Eze, placed into the same spot, were a beauty to behold. Felt disappointed the keeper saved the near post effort to deny him a hattrick

• Did you mean SHIFT

• Umerah a "shit" performance, you must be having a joke!

I think you can only play Saunders and Eze together if you have Bean supporting them.

• edited October 2017

Those Eze strikes are ridiculous. Absolutely casually brilliant as if he's having a mess about with his pals down the park.

• We were great today after a first half hour when we didn't use the ball very well - hats off to both Stewart and El Abd who dealt well with a really strong front pairing (perhaps helped by some poor service from an otherwise very decent Cambridge side) - but Eze was in another league with his goals.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just got back from the match. It comes to something when Bayo - who put in a decent performance - was probably our least effective player on the pitch. He didn't really get into it until after the Cambridge player had been sent off and they switched to a back-three.

Impossible not to give Eze man-of-the-match - though I was most impressed by Sam Saunders. He totally bossed the midfield, organising those around him, harrying their players when we didn't have the ball (never seen him do that before, it was very O'Nien-like!), always getting the ball into a decent attacking position when he had it and making space for himself when another of our players did, a Hayes-esque performance of moaning at the referee and leading in the timewasting too (tying his shoelace directly after Eze's second, for example...) All-in-all a masterful display of midfield dominance.

And then we have Eze. He comes across as quite a shy and demuring chap, hence why Bayo literally had to drag him over to receive his adulation at the final whistle - orchestrating us as well! But boy does he have the intelligence to pick a pass and the talent to scare the shit out of the opposition when he has the ball in the final third. His two goals were magnificent and he was so close to getting a third just before he was subbed after a mazy run into the box.

Umerah really impressed me, especially second half when he got more into the game. Almost every shot on target and more deserved to go in. Always getting in the right position, the most aggressive attacker we had and good pace on him too. CMS was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet today but plays with such panache and threat, a real treat to have him in our side.

The defensive six all put in a really impressive display - Brown made some crucial saves and just shows how playing with confidence can transform a keeper - he even came to the edge of the box a few times and was always first to the ball. El-Abd's positioning was always spot-on and he made an effort to play it out from the back, which is often why we were playing quality football on the deck for large swathes of the match. Stewart was imperious and I think we'll be lucky to keep him in January. He deserves to be playing a league above - hopefully with us next season. Jacobson put in his usual super-cool, super-efficient, near-faultless performance. Jomabti was Jombati. Almost every time he touched the ball something memorable happened - mostly for the good! I'm so pleased he's back in the team. And Bean tidied up effectively and regularly got the ball to another of our players. He's playing a like a man possessed and is undroppable at the moment - poor Dominic Gape won't get a look-in while Bean is in the form his is in.

All in all, a rather impressive day at the office. I've not spared Gareth Ainsworth my criticisms over the past few seasons when I've been disappointed in his style of play or selections. At the moment though he's getting everything right. Great squad, great team, playing with pride and not inconsiderable talent. That's a credit to him and long may it last.

• What a strong squad we have...if we dont get promoted this season we never will!! Playing with confidence and a swagger just hope all the injuries dont bite us on the bum. Fancy us to score 2 or more every game....exeter will be a tough one however feeling confident.

• Agree we have a really good squad going forward, but we are a little vulnerable to injuries at the back. Take JJ and Sido out of the current available squad and we do start to look a little desperate.

But I really can’t complain with where the squad/team building is at the moment. It’s a real pleasure being a wycombe fan at the moment

• Bean can play right back and williams left back so we would still be competitive.

• Did you walk home @aloysius ?> @rmjlondon said:

Bean can play right back and williams left back so we would still be competitive.

Correct.