Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

13»

Comments

• What a change of atmosphere around the place and on this site now. Although GA has obviously done really well to get in the loanees such as Eze and signing CMS and Tyson, I do think our current and exciting attacking approach as somewhat been a result of injuries to key players such as Gape and O’Nien etc. The beneficiaries are the two youngsters who have been thrust into league football and they are both relishing their chance.

I for one did not think we could play the amazing Eze alongside Saunders but it is working brilliantly. Praise must also go to Bean who is playing like a 25 year old.

It was also the right time to part company with Hayes, Wood and Thompson and again GA surprised me as I really didn’t think he would take those tough decisions.

• Apologies @aloysius. Your post was excellent. I just stupidly assumed that you live in the Wycombe area.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Bean can play right back and williams left back so we would still be competitive.

Good point. I forgot that Bean could fill in in defence

• @Blue_since_1990 good post. I’m tempted to make a slight counter-argument that a key to the more successful attacking approach is CMS though. We’ve now got a player you can give the ball to anywhere in the opposition half who can hold it and then make intelligent choices.

Aided by two classy, attack-minded midfielders and a centre forward who sucks defenders in and can see why we are so much of a threat. Imagine adding last years Scotty Kasket to that mix!

• @micra I live in London, just 50 mins from Cambridge. But I took the opportunity after the game to meet up with some friends who live locally and sample some of the city's wonderful public houses.

• Apologies, I can't remember who made the point yesterday but I thought what someone said about Akinfenwa sucking the defence to him, giving the wealth of other attacking players we have the freedom to roam was such an important and insightful point. It proved exactly true yesterday. He's like a flame to the opposition defence's moths. He had a quiet game but without him on the pitch Eze probably wouldn't have had the space to score his brace. When Cambridge went down to 10 and were forced to switch to a back three to chase the game they were simply overwhelmed by our attackers, Akinfenwa ended up being single marked and started getting chances to score. We could have banged in four or five more in the last 10 minutes, especially with the fresh pace and attacking intent Nick Freeman provided.

• Footnote: if you're playing Wycombe, and 80 minutes or so have gone, you really don't want to have Nick Freeman off the bench and running at you. You really don't.

• Good point Bookertease. CMS is excellent, fast becoming my favourite Wycombe player.

• @bookertease said:
    Blue_since_1990 good post. I’m tempted to make a slight counter-argument that a key to the more successful attacking approach is CMS though. We’ve now got a player you can give the ball to anywhere in the opposition half who can hold it and then make intelligent choices.

Very true. He uses the ball well and can be a threat from any position. Having him in the side has given us an extra out ball and taken away the need to always play through Bayo.

• Good to hear the "tie laces up after scoring" routine is still going strong.

• Probably the first thing newcomers learn in their Wycombisation training!

• Just after the "how to react to any challenge higher than the ankle" lesson.

• Just after the "how to react to any challenge higher than the ankle" lesson.

• You've just done a micra, HCblue. Grounds for divorce, I think.

• Ooh. That's interesting. Didn't notice that had happened and certainly don't recall hitting Post twice.

Still, fair's fair; divorce it is. No complaints. Had a good run.

• I think it's for the best.

• So sad when soulmates break up!

• Would the rules allow Micra to bring a new soulmate in on loan?

• Back on topic, it is clear to me from the highlights that Jombati lacks competitive minutes, his crossing was woeful! He is still a good player and I am sure his sharpness will return with time, just hoping his Sido side doesn't present opportunities for Exeter that lead to goals. Tbf GA must see this and will have training lined up for him I presume. Excited for Exeter, that will be the sternest test thus far. COYB!!!!

• Back off topic. I'm looking for a concubine.

Seriously, I agree with you, Norseman, that it probably wasn't just Sido being Sido and I'd like to think that even he, stubborn idiosyncratic Sido, will acknowledge the error of his ways. He should also now get a lengthy run of games and become match fit. And, as has been said elsewhere, his height will also be valuable.

What happened to Nathan Tyson was horrible. Worse, in a strange way, than if it had been the result of physical contact. I think it was Richie who commented prophetically a couple of weeks ago about the risk of a recurrence (?) of his knee problems. I may have got that wrong and he may indeed have been referring to CMS. Either way, the upside is that, at least pending any further ill fortune, we now have capable cover.

I disagree that Exeter will be the sternest test so far. They are a good footballlng side and I feel confident that we will "outfootball" them.

• As has been stated elsewhere we have yet to win against a top side and like at Tottenham, letting in goals at the end means we walk away with nothing (Luton at AP). It will be great if we can get the points against Exeter, they have not been playing at the top of their game I hear but are still winning most of their encounters. As long as we can keep the shots raining in on target I am positive for Saturday. COYB!!!!

• The key will be whether Exeter can tame the Beast.

• @mooneyman said:
    The key will be whether Exeter can tame the Beast.

I think the only time he has been tamed to any extent was when he was carrying that hamstring problem.

• Having by watched 'goalcam' footage of the chance they had following the Sido lapse, it was well saved by Brown but Beano's chase back getting just enough pressure on the striker to put him off was fantastic, playing so well at the moment.