Skip to content

Match day thread: Colchester

Comments

• @Alexo said:
    I'm so happy brown has found his feet with us!! Seems a decent bloke.

He most certainly is and, based on the commentary, Man of the Match performance.

• Five added minutes. What are the odds ColU will score in the 7th?

• Be strong blues!!!! Cmon!!!!!

• Get in!!!!! Sht on the Clu etc

• Yeeeesssss!!!!!!!!

• Huge result!

• It is nice to win a game that we did not dominate, rather than losing one we did! It really feels like at least two points gained, in large part thanks to Scottie!

• Managed the game out well in the last ten minutes or so. Very satisfying to take three points in a game where we probably only deserved one. It goes some way to compensating for the previous three games in which we were short changed.

• Bring on the Crewe! Will we have a full bench though?

• I thought it was bad getting away from A!

• After all these years, there's still not much that beats an away win at Col U!

• Interesting that the absence of some people on here when we get a good result

• edited September 2017

Just back from the game. That was a fun one! As others seem to have noted, a refreshing change to be second best and take the points anyway and also to be better second half than first. Col. U. had some real pace up front and pulled us apart pretty often in the first half with good movement, helped by an uncommon lack of cohesion by us. Much better defending second half but still had to withstand a lot of pressure - their throw-in guy was incredible!

Really happy for CMS - he was great again today; had him as my best outfield player, though I think Brown gets MOTM for at least three excellent saves and some very good work generally. He was pumped at the end and very happy to salute the crowd.

Of the new boys, Eze was OK, neither in the game nor out of it. Clearly has a great touch and some vision. Scarr, while strong in the air and thus effective when Col. U. started going longer in the second half, looked very lost positionally when the ball was played in on the ground and was caught out countless times. For my money, he was a big part of why we were pulled apart so often today compared to previous games. Also, he has Pierre-level distribution skills which, again, played a part in our failure to use the ball as well as we have done this season, especially in the second half. Young man learning his trade and all that, but I would have been tempted to put on El Abd at half time.

A really enjoyable game to watch, because of tension similar to last week's but with a (subjectively) happier ending. On a sour note, our more vocal fans remained so as they left the ground and I saw police and stewards moving quickly to the bus stop about ten minutes after the game where it seemed the idiocracy was being unable to maintain a civil aspect while it waited to leave. Highly regrettable, wholly avoidable and, of course, embarrassing to us.

• For those of us that couldn’t be there, we had the dream team of Phil and Bill back together which was as excellent as it always is. Don’t know if it’s the position of the commentary box, but the Wycombe fans sounded much louder on the commentary, to the point that when Col U scored I wasn’t even sure if it had been given as the cheer was so muted. Ainsworth made a point of saying how great the fans were today too in his post match interview. It’s well worth a listen, whether GA was just a bit hyped about the win or it was something else, he seemed a bit more forthcoming and a little less clichéd today.

• edited September 2017

It was that kind of game and outcome really, @drcongo. The last ten minutes were really nerve-jangling and I'd imagine, like me, that Gareth may have been in a particularly good mood.

As to the volume of the fans, I'd guess the mic was nearer the away end as the Col. U. goal was certainly cheered, but they made very little noise generally and, judged from halfway, the away fans would probably have been the louder. That said, there were periods of the game when there was near silence in the crowd. I could hear the players shouting at each other in the penalty area at the other end once in the first half. And, very amusingly, we heard the ref tell players to "cut it out" (as I type this, I'm questioning whether those were the exact words but it was this or something equally parental) as the usual pre-corner wrestling took place in the second half.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The starting line up should put to bed the “he should never have made El-Abd captain, as he’ll never drop him” arguments that were around after the Notts County game.

Looks like GA is picking the team he thinks best suited to beat the opposition now that he has an actual squad to choose from

• @fame_46 said:
    What a away day...... :)

First observation, nice stadia but they add absolutely no atmosphere with their crap support. Think I heard a slight murmur when they scored but us 500 chairboys out sung them all game.

Also praise for our fans, who yesterday didn't let us down and actually got behind the team at every opportunity both individually and collectively.

How many stadia do they have?

• Dont be such a peddant, @micra.

• Your forgiven.

• Just seen the highlights and some of Brown's saves were stunning like the clearance from JJ.

• @fame_46 said:
    Meant to be stadium, phone autocorrect for mr pedantic micra

Sory

• @micra. Are you sory or sorry?

• Colchester supporting colleague who was there thought they should have got a point, but pointed out that Brown had an excellent game and we were the more creative team. Which is nice.