Skip to content

Ainsworth to Port Vale?

13»

Comments

• I'm sure what you are saying is right but I fail to see a link to the Trust wanting the contract renegotiated.

• Loads of threads on their forums including from the originators of the motion to the Trust AGM. Trawl your way through if you are that way inclined.

They wanted rid of Tisdale and wanted his employment contract terminated to facilitate this.

• @DevC I thought my post showed I did understand how it works. I'm most put out. Though I am a Gent.

• edited September 2017

@aloysius , I remember Lambert repeatedly doing it horizontally across the pitch. Saturday was more a diamond, and not too regularly done anyway.

Gaz really needs a big season this year. Otherwise that incredible play off season is slippng further into everyone's memory, and would have been followed by 3 fairly average (in most people's eyes) if we end up outside the play offs again.

It would be interesting to see how our budget actually compares across the division, and whether it's a like for like comparison. For instance, are other team's youth teams factored in, of which we don't have one!

Otherwise, when we repeatedly bring in the likes of Saunders, Bayo, Tyson, Mackail Smith, when some of them have been on huge money elsewhere, it doesn't strike me as pauper material really.

• Our recruitment policy seems to be kids and experienced pros. Selling point to experienced pros at the end of their career seems to be, come here on lower money but we will give you the security of a two year contract and you will work with a manager who treats you like a grown up.

my guess is that our playing budget is bottom six and that we have a manager who consistently exceeds that such that supporters are beginning to take that for granted.
    I may be wrong though, who knows.

Acid test I suppose is how the next chap gets on once GA does eventually leave.

• I thought it was interesting on Saturday that the list of our players on the back of the programme was as long as Luton's.

I'm not a great student of Gareth's quotes, so not that well placed to judge, but from what I have seen this year he hasn't seemed to push the 'little club' line quite as much as he used to.

@Malone I think "average" for last year is a bit harsh. If we take the quality of football on display for long periods of the season out of the equation (which may not be that fair, I accept) we did have a decent run of form where there was genuine excitement, a classic exciting cup-tie away at Spurs and I think it was only fatigue, coupled with injuries that stopped it being a really good season.

@Right_in_the_Middle Sorry, I usually hate taking sides, but I can remember reading the comments about the boring/dull football Exeter were playing (when they kept losing) last year and how a lot (for that read contributors to forums like this) of supporters saying Tisdale should go. There are plenty of times when an @DevC comment probably does deserve attacking but you do seem to have it as an automatic response to anything he posts, however uncontroversial or not it actually is.

I would imagine within the game GA is viewed quite highly for what he has so far achieved at Wycombe. There are legitimate questions about his adherence to gamesmanship but probably less concern about the style of football, as he has shown (occasionally) he is not simply a John Beck advocate and his teams are quite capable sometimes of playing decent football. But success, relative or not, is something that generally opens the wallets of chairmen/chairwomen, so that would be by far the biggest criteria. A well of goodwill towards a former well-liked player or manager is also a little bit of insurance for the chair from the fans if it all starts to go pear-shaped.

I think how he is viewed on the terraces is more interesting. I would imagine a lot of fans (of teams who have played us at our worst) going 'oh God, no' if they heard he was being appointed, but I think most would be fairly supportive, given his obvious passion and commitment on the touchline - we fans all do seem to value that highly in a manager.

• @bookertease, average in "some people's eyes", who may only take note of the finishing position. 8th or 9th (i forget now), isn't pulling up trees to outsiders, as lower half the year before wasn't either.
    We very definitely should have done better last year, as you mention there was a spell we were really hot stuff, and on such a roll we were looking at autos.
    Maybe this year we can do better, as Bayo aside, we can cover missing fowards a lot better

• @bookertease - It's all very well having a larger selection of forwards, but the critical problem is that they can't find the net without Bayo's assistance!

• I think that Premier League and Championship clubs trust him with the development of their young players says a lot for his reputation in the wider game.

• @mooneyman I think PCH and CMS carry a goal threat in Bayo's abscence, CMS has been a bit unlucky, but once he gets a couple...

• DevC - Rather a sexist comment addressing your post to "gents". However it is hardly surprising having read your self-opinionated views for so long!

Strewth, the bores are out today, eh?

• edited September 2017

@tewkesburychairboy I think you'll find the bores were out yesterday. Today we're all dead interesting...