Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Lots of positives today. The result was a kick in the teeth but we got caught out a bit playing to protect our lead.

@mooneyman my mate saw a punch too but can't fault the ref or linesmen for not seeing it. Thought the ref did well overall but did get a big niggly. When did Bayo get booked? Was it at the end? And what was that about?

• Hylton has previous for many things - including an 8 match ban for a racist rant so who knows what he said to Bayo when they scored the winner. I have never seen Bayo look so angry. Biggest mistake today keeping Bloomfield on when his legs were shot. Craig MS was simply immense today. We played very well - just gutted about the manner of the loss.

• Cant believe we have come out of the last three performances with only the 1 goal and 2 pts. Incredibly frustrating.

Still feel very positive about our chances over the season. Gareth got the shape spot on first half and we probably should have been two in front.

• Best I've seen us for a long time, Brown, el abd, bean and cms all motm for me.....again the only thing was leaving blooms on he was fucked in the 50min....i left in the 87min wtf happened?

• Hylton certainly said something towards our bench when they scored the second before waving at the home end. I have never seen Bayo react like that.

A draw would have been fair. We ran out of steam and made the subs far too late. Frustrating as we were excellent again first half.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Such a good display for 89mins. So sad to let it go, and then manage to lose it too.

Maybe it's just written that we'll never beat Luton at home.

Shouldn't be too harsh on Tyson. It was his first game back, we're against one of the best in the division, and we weren't exactly in peak mode by that stage.

It was a bit of a shame that all the breakaway possibilities we had were with CMS not Tyson, as they might have been really stretched with him to chase.

• Hate to be negative having been to every game this season so far i dont think Ainsworth is learning its no surprise we havent won a single game in the 2nd half yet. I dont think its down to fitness its down to awfull subs Blooms should have been taken off on 60mins for Eze who by the way has been brilliant in the 2 previous games. Josh umerah who has also showed in the previous games that he has pace and can look after and hold the ball up well would have been perfect to bring on but what do I no im just a very frustrated fan who travels up and down the country hoping things change. We have a great squad this season for god sake Ainsworth use it.

• It was gutting seeing Scarr being readied as the obvious counter to that tall goon Luton brought on...while said goon scores the equaliser!

"sit back down son"

• Shades of Tottenham there, lots to cheer about the whole game and then giving it up at the death. We must be more clinical when on top and defend to the end.

Need to get other players on the scoresheet - what happened to the free scoring of the first few matches?!

Gutted to lose today.

• Incredible how we conspired to lose that one, we looked good in the first half, though we tired towards the end. Luton didn't have too much about them aside from Mpanzu (who looked good to play at higher level) though they exploited the acres of space on the wings exposed by our anorexicly narrow formation and we paid the price for sitting back and not being able to hit them on the break.
    The result was gutting, however there's plenty of positives to take from what was largely an enjoyable performance. We just need to steel ourselves mentally to see the tight games out.

• We threw the game away by sitting so incredibly deep in the 2nd half. Not for the first time we've come out so abjectly after the break. Lumping the ball over to Mackail Smith is hardly an amazing counter tactic.

Bloomfield needed to come off, although his engine is useful the lack of end product is draining to watch - and he let the man go for their first which led to the goal.

Also, I've no problem with Hylton giving it some at the end. He's a horrible player, but if you'd taken dogs-abuse for 90 minutes, you'd probably be happy at some retribution too.

• Deja vu for me. I went to see Barnet v Exeter last Tuesday. Barnet bossed the game for 75 minutes but a couple of smart substitutions by Paul Tisdale changed the game & Barnet were mugged by two late goals. I thought the players played out of their skins today but the substitutions (apart from Saunders for Gape) were appalling & cost us the game. Sorry to be blunt but it's not the first time.

• Oh Bollocks

• @prufrock_91 , dog's abuse? All I kept hearing was some song about how he'd "done it again", which seemed remarkably nice natured for our drones. He even looked like he was smiling.

He's a sneak of a player, but fairly soft for such a tall guy. I couldn't imagine him winning many actual fights. He'd be the guy in the background kicking you in the back and running off.

• Given Bayo and Gape picked up injuries I'm not sure what the alternative was to bringing on the most direct replacements we had available.

Also the way we set up was absolutely bang on. Man marking Berry and Mpanzu out of the game and going round their narrow midfield to find JJ and Harriman in space.

Just seen the replay of the winner and it doesn't get any easier to watch. Bean slips on the goal line and I think if he'd left it El Abd would probably have made the clearance behind him. Really though were drawn to the nearpost marking space when three Luton players are at King the far post.

• @bigred87 said:
    Best I've seen us for a long time, Brown, el abd, bean and cms all motm for me.....again the only thing was leaving blooms on he was fucked in the 50min....i left in the 87min wtf happened?

Good to see some positivity from you @bigred87, also nice to learn what the number in your username refers to.

• No problem with those subs @Glenactico but CMS and Bloomfield worked their socks off and were blowing after 70 minutes. Bloomfield nowhere near his man for their first goal for example.

No reason not to bring on Eze or Scarr for Bloomfield to freshen up the midfield in the last 20.

• GA always favours experience over form or young gun enthusiasm when it comes to teams he thinks we may struggle against.... he always makes subs too late also. No time to make a real impact.
    Having said that, I'm still optimistic for the season. Still a long long way to go. Players are still learning about eachother and still Learning each other's ways.
    I feel that GA feels the need to protect a lead in the second half..... and it goes wrong every time! We have an attacking team this season. We need to keep up the charge for goals from start to finish. We have sooo much potential for goals throughout the squad. Don't sit back second half?!!! Fresh legs if needed and pile forward again!!!!

• Was really enjoying it until 89 minutes. Excellent from Bean, Saunders, Bayo and Harriman. Gutting but feels completely different to after Notts County

• For Luton's first, Ainsworth had noticed that Cuthbert had been pushed up front and had Scarr ready to come on at next break in play. Sod's Law, next break in play was their goal. With hindsight, perhaps Scarr should still have come on to try and keep a point. Bringing Paris on instead to go for the win ultimately cost us.

Regarding the punching incident, I was convinced at the time that Berry threw a punch at JJ. JJ had been grappling with Berry, who wriggled free, ran round JJ and punched him in the face. That's how I saw and remember it.

• Also, even though Brown had a good game - he completely fell apart for the winner.

It's an much told tale that when Brian Clough signed Shilton, he knew he had a team capable of winning the league - not just because Shilton was one of the best keepers in the world at the time (obvs) but because it gives the whole team confidence that it's taken care of.

Now, although we're in a hard position to go out and find another Peter Shilton - GA has made an error in not bringing in a new keeper. I'll concede that possibly we were trying our hardest on deadline day to bring 1 in, but having a keeper that players have to go up to and pat on the back to reassure him he's doing a good job, simply isn't good enough.

• Despite the gutting defeat, really proud of the lads. My biggest concern is that we could easily have won all eight league games so far, and instead have 3 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses. If we had only held on to a lead today and scored at either Newport or Mansfield, how different the table would look. For now, I am hoping it is just a tough run of games, but I am a bit worried this lack of seeing out results will continue to bite us.

• Saunders coming on for Gape was a mistake from GA and also shows no respect for the players who has worked there nuts off while he has been injured. got what he deserved which was nothing hopefully he will think on this next time he decides to pick his mates.

• Now that we haven't been thrashed by Luton as predicted, do you think we're going to have a good season @richmayes999 ?

• had the penalty been scored and not missed we would have been.

• Well plsyed Harriman today, playing well after a loss of form, and a Beckham style cross for the goal

• If we hadn't conceded two goals at the end we'd have won, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

• I actually think with the benefit of hindsight if they had scored the penalty WE would have gone on to win. By sitting back to protect the lead it allowed Luton to get up a head of steam. If they had equalised earlier the likelihood would have been that GA would have made more positive substitutes and as the first half showed we could outplay them

• Talking about the penalty, it really is a shocking decision. A complete and utter dive. Not touched by Jacobson. The point of dive is outside the area too. A nice retrospective ban by the fa needs to be issued if they are serious about tackling diving.