Skip to content

Match day thread: Mansfield

2»

Comments

• Eze has to start on Saturday !

• Slightly worrying that Akinfenwa is out and suddenly the goals dry up.

• But not the chances, or even the shots on goal.

• Bayo is a possibility for Saturday apparently.
    Scarr and Ebe good games tonight. Stewart excellent. Very difficult conditions - heavy rain and windy. Rather like Saturday, if anyone deserved to win, it was Wycombe.

• We're creating chances just fine. We could have easily won this game and the last one 2-0 each time.

• Eze certainly looked good with the ball at his feet, but I'd much rather have a 4-3-3 with Akinfenwa than a 4-3-1-2 with Eze.

• Didn't see the game but from where we were a week or so the defence side of things look a lot better and we suddenly appear to have viable options all over the pitch. Two well earned and deserved points on the road against apparently good opposition and without two of our best players is impressive stuff. Credit to all.

In the 7 games so far we've had a dodgy second half against Lincoln, a dumb two minutes against Port Vale, a shambolic first half against Notts County (and some comic defending), but apart from that we appear to have played reasonably well for the rest of it.

Reasons to be cheerful...

• The only let down both tonight and Saturday was missing some good chances. Onion put a free header wide and should have tucked away the rebound on bean's effort.

Eze is very good on the ball and has more than a few tricks up his sleeve, although he did fade second half. Scarr defended well and is excellent in the air. All three loaners look capable, although Umerah is better with the ball fired into his feet than up in the air.

Having said all that, Mansfield did create chances too. Hard to tell but when their forward went down at the back post I thought the referee might award a pen. Had he stayed on his feet it looked like he might have beaten gape to the ball and bundled it in.

• Always pleased with a point away from home, we just need to back it up with a win against Luton now.

• For me it was the performance of the season. Craig doesn't seem to know where the goal is at the moment but the law of averages suggests he will get one on target and score soon, hopefully Saturday, and open the floodgates.

• edited September 2017

Eze was a joy to watch. Every time he got the ball at his feet he would start a mazy run. Josh was also superb, never stopped running. Can't see Freeman starting a game any time soon.

• I thought it was quite entertaining. Definitely a long period in the second half when neither team could seem to get the ball undercontrol, that was a bit dull. But considering the conditions we did actually play a bit of football, dominating towards the end, I thought we would manage a goal.

Seemed just the standard 4-3-3 to me though.

• @rmjlondon said:
    dire game ? we had them on the rack for 35 mins in the 1st half !

Yes we did, and we had more shots and probably shaded it. But it was still a dire game overall. Not blaming the players at all - those conditions were atrocious.

• Onion's miss brought me to tears

• Looked like he got bhajid out of the way

• Many layers to that joke

• Eze ran rings around them too

• He had their defence in a helluva pickle.

• Bean played with a spring in his step

• There was shallot of positives to take into the weekend

Have to say, I preferred Harrison Ford’s early work.

• edited September 2017

You bunch need to sauté yourselves out.