Skip to content

The don't know what your doing chant was not warranted

I could not believe our own support who have seen the massive transformation under Ainsworth would resort to such a chant when the subs were made.

Comments

• 99% sure it was aimed at the shambolic referee?!?

• The timing of it was during the substitutions though and even Gareth appeared to be gesturing at the crowd.

• I with @JS_Watt on this I'm pretty certain it was directed at the Ref.

• Well in that case I can understand it then.

• I chanted it but not at Ainsworth. I'm fully aware I would have bitten someone's hans off for 3rd place in april.

• It seemed to be at Gaz, which was utterly unmerited. The problem with the chanting was that there was none during the first 45. The #ladz who big themselves up hugely, were as missing as our team was in the opening half.

• Bollards it was at the ref

• I thought it was at the ref- if not it's a fucking disgrace

• I thought it was directed at Ainsworth, because of the substitution. Maybe he was resting key players for Monday? All I know looking round it was the same group that chanted Ainsworth out at the game against Bristol Rovers last year. Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to give credit to the opposition, they played really well. And somehow, we have to find room in the team for Holloway and Murphy. Would playing 3 up front against Burton, ( Hayes Holloway and Fred ) be too risky?? I would replace Bean with Murphy for Monday's game. Let's not get too disheartened, this season has been pretty surreal hasn't it and very enjoyable.

• It was clearly directed at Ainsworth. Utterly absurd. I cannot stand those idiots that start chanting for Holloway, Murphy or any other sub inside the first half if things aren't going well. We are third in the league. Third! Unbelievable. And the bloke that had a pop in the Vere after the game. Well done Matt Cecil for offering a measured rebuttal.

• Couldn't believe what I was hearing either. The chant was clearly aimed at GA. It was a poo day from begining to end, the whole team under performed, just one of those things. The idiots that chanted those words are clearly morons. How they/you can abuse the man that has got us this far is beyond me. How do you know that one or two of those subbed weren't playing with knocks picked up in training? Do we know if some players are playing whilst feeling ill? Maybe this small squad is running low on gas and maybe we as a crowd could be that twelfth man to help push us over that final hurdle. I do know that hurling negative chants at players and management, during the game, is going to do nothing to help. So, I suggest we get our derrières up to Burton on Monday and put all our vocal energy into helping the squad get the result we need. The autopsy and negativity can be done on this MB after.

• From where I was in Frank Adams, it was certainly aimed at the officials, which was totally understanding given the incompetence of all 3 of them today. Anyone who was aiming it at Gaz should rightly be pulled up for it, the man has performed miracles this season & we've got a huge game on Monday that players need to be rested for. I didn't want to see Wood or Saunders taken off, but I realise that we need them for the Burton game, as did everyone else in the crowd around me.

• Maybe it was different in the terrace but like @ChairboyTom I was sat in the Frank Adams and from there it did seem aimed purely at the official's.

• Utterly unbelievable if directed at Ainsworth. Have fans really lost sight of what happened last year and the size of the squad we have this year. To be third at this stage of the season, with every chance of automatic promotion still in our hands, is nothing short of remarkable. Clearly Ainsworth and the whole coaching team DO know what they are doing. Yes, today's first half performance was below what we have become used to but FFS most of this season the players have performed well above what was expected.
    IMHO a number of players have been running on almost empty for the last few games - quite understandably too given that squad rotation is a luxury we just don't have. I believe that the substitutions were all needed and on another day we could had salvaged a point.
    Can't wait for Monday and the chance to put today behind us.

• @Glenactico said:
    It was clearly directed at Ainsworth. Utterly absurd. I cannot stand those idiots that start chanting for Holloway, Murphy or any other sub inside the first half if things aren't going well. We are third in the league. Third! Unbelievable. And the bloke that had a pop in the Vere after the game. Well done Matt Ctecil for offering a measured rebuttal.

Why not? If changes need to be made to address short comings, then do it, what ever the clock hand says.

• I admire coaches that will react early and make a change if needed in personel

• edited April 2015

I certainly got the impression is was aimed at Ainsworth, it was coming from the pathological booers who boo every misplaced pass, and wasn't in the wake of a bad refereeing decision.

• @Ciderk1d because the way that clutch of morons deliver their opinion goes something like this:

Player x starts in the 11
    0-0 after 20 mins and player x is having a non-descript game
    Cretins chant for the introduction of player y that plays in the same position as player x

They might as well just directly single out player x and call for him to be subbed. It has happened to Craig, McClure, Bean and several others on numerous occasions.

If you pay for your ticket you're entitled to an opinion in my view. But the way some supporters go about it is pathetic. And it undoubtedly undermines the confidence of the players.

I'm not suggesting the coaching staff should not react if things aren't going our way and I think the wrong players were subbed today. However, the terrace's efforts at criticism are anything but constructive. A handful of people even audibly boo when passes go astray. WTF is that about?!?! Again, we are third. Get some perspective.

• @Glenactico, fair play, as I wouldn't be to happy if I was player x on the back end of fans fury either, but I would try and up my game, so player y can remain on the bench.

Hopefully this a shock and awe and the lads kick on against Burton.

• I'm sure it was aimed at the referree and came following a passage of play in which he failed to give us yet another blatant fowl.

Singing "the referree's a w@nker" would have avoided any doubt though.

• I was stood around ten feet away from the group of morons in question. It was definitely directed at Ainsworth after Wood was subbed off. The ref also got plenty of (richly deserved) abuse, which a wider contingent joined in with.

• You get what you deserve in life and maybe that group of so called supporters don't deserve a promotion chasing team! As for that moron who invaded the pitch, he was a disgrace to our club.

• I could not believe what I was hearing . .. to be honest I was disgusted and angered about it . Don't get me wrong if it is deserved I am not one to disagree with this form of protest but ffs , the man has turned this club around since last season and chanting "you don't know what your doing " when we are third in the league is just plain barmy . I understand people getting frustrated but that was disgraceful . I was stood in front of them and honestly had to restrain myself from becoming physically aggressive towards them . I think the only positive I can take from it was the other group who chanted "there is only one Gareth Ainsworth " in a way to distance themselves from that group . I Felt embarraced by it for sure and would quite happily meet any of the group top give them my thoughts if they are reading this .

• Some people take it to another level. There not supporters they are hooligans simple. 

• I bet Gareth and is team are wondering what the heck are we doing this for just to be ridiculed by people who are supposed to be our supporters.

I wouldn't blame him at all if he left for something better at the end of the season. If that does happen then it may signal the beginning of an exodus that could be very damaging.

• I remember Lambert making a comment that appeared to have a pop at Steve Hayes
    and Terry Evans when he left.
    It went something like, I'm a football man, but appears others at this club want to talk
    about rugby.

• Sat in Woodlands it appeared that this chant was definitely aimed at the referee. Although with some of the prize tools that inhabit the terrace, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other reason.

In a minute, one of them will be along to claim that their singing is the reason for our success this season, not the manager or the players. However, they won't take any responsibility for negative chanting - because NO-ONE FEELS THEIR PAIN AS THEY ARE THE ONLY TRUE SUPPORTERS OF THE CLUB.

• There probably should be some clarification on which 'You don't know what you're doing' chant this was referring to. I assume @Blue_since_1990 was referring to the chant when the substitutions were made, in which case it was 100% aimed at Ainsworth.

We just need to put Friday behind us and have a right old go at Burton.

• Anyone who sang that at Ainsworth is an absolute disgrace. This is someone who obviously pours his heart and soul into the job to try and do the best he can for Wycombe Wanderers - and what a job he is doing this season.
    What an incredibly disrespectful thing to do, and what a bunch of arseholes they are.

• And hooray for Gasroom 2.0 for not having a profanity filter...