Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

13»

Comments

• Oh, but it surely was utilised . I remember one goal at the terrace end last season resulting from a long throw from Thommo. JJ also produced them on many occasions.

• I remember the Thommo one...but I'm hard pressed to remember any others @micra but I'll take your word for it.

• So am I to be honest!

• Think the "long throw" goal to which you refer was, oddly enough v Grimsby at home? Bayo hit both posts with the header and Anthony Stewart followed up to score. I also could be suffering from early dementia?

• It is to our disadvantage now Blackman is no longer here. He was able to come out and catch the opposition's long throws so negating the danger. Now with Brown not prepared to venture off the line and lack of height in the defence, we are going to be in trouble from long throws.

• Brown came out well on several occasions yesterday, must have been practicing all week!

• Wasn't there even a suggestion (can't remember context or source) that he'd actually handled the ball outside the box?

• Looking at the extended highlights he ended up outside the box leaving the ball by his feet inside it. I think he will have gained in confidence from yesterday, several times he came off his line to snuff out danger and was as good a league two goalie as you're likely to see. With GA suggesting more defensive practice to come it bodes well for the season as a whole if we can restrict the goals being shipped in and continue the rich vein of chances being created and converted. Certainly is rock and roll football now!

• I've always wondered how much a few metres difference can actually make.

We've all heard about the "big" Wembley pitch, but it's not bigger than a lot of pitches, it there's max and min sizes aren't there.

• @ This site has Adams Park as having the 3rd biggest pitch in League 2 - same as Coventry. With Vale Park as 2m wider. Ours is credited with being 4th widest after Port Vale, Notts County and Morecambe

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-size/#league-two.

Does anyone know if 105m by 68m are the current dimensions?

• When Adams Park was built, legend has it that Martin O'Neill asked for the pitch to be the exact same dimensions as Wembley so that, should we ever get to play there, we'd feel right at home. Wycombe had a 100% record at Wembley for the Adams Park era, until we changed the pitch dimensions.

• I think GA changed the dimensions ahead of the season following our play off defeat, actually. That also saw the switch away from a 442 to a 433. It's certainly true to say we haven't been back to Wembley since that decision was made...

• It was definitely done prior to the playoffs. Can't be sure, but I think it might have been made even smaller since.

• In fact, here's me mentioning exactly the same story in relation to our incredible shrinking pitch just before the playoff final: https://gasroom.org/discussion/comment/5700/#Comment_5700

• Sorry, my mistake. I think it did shrink again after that. We're down to the very minimum pitch size now, aren't we?