Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• Dear oh bloody dear.

• 2 2 haha defensively shit

• Are you there @Wwfc2015_ ? Just that we've lost the commentary and would like to know the circumstances we conceded again?

• FFS!!

• Technical difficulties again with ifollow (or not in this case). I too was prompted to sign for monthly or annual pass. Did so without thought and now believe I've paid twice.
    Elevator music while reading live text. 8^)

• Gave their attacker far too much room for the second. We have been second best since the red card.

• Have we ever shipped as many goals in 5 games at the start of the season?

• M3GM3G
    edited August 2017

ha ha three up for us now

• Forget that 3-2 up,..who cares about the defence ;)

• @Wwfc2015_ seriously, how come you have nothing positive to say, but revel in mistakes?

• Weirdly, I thought our defense played better than our attack today, despite the scoreline. I didn't think we looked overly threatening going forward most of the time, and their goals came from a penalty and a sweet strike from distance. El Abd looked much better, and Stewart made a noticeable difference.

That's 10 scored, 10 conceded in four league games. It is still a case of both teams showing up to get at least two goals each.

• Great result... pleased that some of our issues from last week have improved.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is this the return of Gormania? You can't knock it for entertainment.

• @fame_46 what will we do if Bayo gets injured? Why can't we hang on to a lead? Can't depend on set pieces. Grimsby were no good what if GA comes up against a decent side?
    we need Dave Tarpey now! Take your pick fame!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Wwfc2015_ seriously, how come you have nothing positive to say, but revel in mistakes?

Because he's a complete and utter twat sat in his bedsit furiously refreshing live score and screaming with pain every time Wycombe score is my educated guess?

• Perhaps we should pick up Tarpey and play him in goal? And isn't it about time we had a Tarpey thread attached to the top of the gasroom?

• I assume if @Wwfc2015_ WAS there, he was too busy celebrating Grimsby's goal with 'the firm' and perhaps missed Bayo's second. My worry is that having bought an ST I'm only going to see draws and losses at narrow sided AP!!

• Ah back home by 6! Thoroughly enjoyed the game today. We competed really well apart from a 10 minute spell after their second (very good) goal when they had their tails up and we lost the plot for a bit.

Look much better with Stewart back and El-Abd did okay for most of the game though very nearly a repeat of Port Vales second near the end.

Harrison and JJ both very good today. Midfield worked hard. Bayo immense as usual, Paris in and out a bit but trying hard. CMS reminded me of Hayes - the 2017 version for the first 20 minutes but the 2015 model second half until he was taken out.

I think the substitutions were spot on and made at the right time.

Even a word of praise for the 'yoof'. Mostly loud and encouraging of the team and we all joined in with the 70 minutes applause impeccably I think.

There were 4 TV police officers there though. Been a long time I've seen that many at an away game with no real history. I assume we're paying their wages?

But a good day out

• Yep on the trans pennine express to Sheffield - a really good day - well done Wycombe and the 187

• @bluntphil Next GA interview would you mind asking what the thinking is behind our tiny pitch at Adams Park?

• Smaller pitch means lower maintenance costs!

• Smaller the pitch, the easier it is for our close you down tactics to bear fruit. More knackering the larger the pitch. Simple as that?

• I was thinking that was the general line that would be given.

• When I've broached the subject before (last season) the high pressure game was the reason given which makes sense. However, with the away form being so good it does make you think...

Spurs were exceptional at utilising their small pitch last season at WHL. WW looked pretty good on it too!

• Thing is I always think we play better on a big pitch, unless mistaken. Port Vale only 2 weeks ago was a prime example. But I suppose it goes with the players available.

• I think the small pitch is a big mistake. Overthinking a simple game with no visible results last season.

• Agreed, surely there's enough data now to suggest it's not a good idea. At Vale every one of our players was in acres of space when attacking, which meant the wide forwards had space to make runs into and Saunders was able to be a lower league Pirlo, with loads of time on the ball to pick the perfect pass. Every home game is a dreadful, attritional affair with no space to be creative, and ironically the small pitch is great for teams who want to play on the break, i.e. away teams.

• It does seem crazy...even when we had a player with a supposed 'long throw' in Thommo it was never utilised. Sign wide players and creative players and then give them no room to run or create.