Skip to content

Max Muller loaned to Morecambe

Comments

• We need competion for places if Muller aint good enough get someone in who is. Certainly another keeper aswell we must be the only club not to have a proper 2nd choice keeper its crazy Brown could play awful week in week out and know hes not loosing his place.

• I have serious concerns about the weekend now with an already weakened defence now even weaker, surely somebody else must be coming in, this on paper seems an insane decision

• @fedup1980 why? There was no way on this world that Muller was in contention to start this weekend.

• Midlander, that is if Stewart is fit! Otherwise Muller was our only alternative to a centre back (El-Abd), who had a nightmare game against Notts County.

• Barry silkman rumoured to be on trial with us

• Stewart is fit.

• El Abd and Stewart will start on Saturday with Sido as cover from the bench surely? Perhaps with Rowe among the subs to cover at the back or in midfield? Doesn't feel that crazy to me.

And even if it is a risk, you have to balance that against the opportunity to have Muller play Lg2 football for half a season without any risk to us - if he makes a few cock ups it costs us nothing.

Having Morecombe take that risk instead of us is a great luxury. Likewise with De Hav at Aldershot.

We may find that by the end of the season we have two fantastic young central defenders in our squad that have benefitted from their loans.

Equally, we might find neither is up to it but at least another club will have found that out for us!

Without a reserve team we are going to have to accept players going out on loan, even if it risks leaving us a bit short. We can't expect Muller to literally not play a single game all season while he waits around because the 3-4 players ahead of him might get injured.

• @Glenactico Excellent post. I was surprised at the news, but now I've had a bit of time to think about it, it does actually make sense and as I said before will hopefully help MM make huge strides towards being ready to come into the Wycombe side on his return.

• The other angle to this "Our defence is crap we've conceded 10 in 4" of course, is that Muller can't even get into that defence!

Hope he plays straight away at Morecambe though. I'd suggest it's not a guarantee though, as their manager cannot have seen much of him, no-one has, so it's seemingly all on Thommo's recommendation!

• @Jonny_King . Not fair: I made the same post as @Glenactico a couple of hours earlier. Praise me! Me, me, me!

• @HCblue So you did! My apologies.

Excellent post HCBlue. Gelactico can do one!

• I was going to say agree 100% @Glenactico but in the interests of balance and appeasement I agree 100% with @HCblue

• I disagree with all of @HCblue, @Glenactico, @Jonny_King and @EwanHoosaami. We don't have enough strength in depth to send Muller out on loan. We're one injury and one suspension away from having no cover at the back at all - and the idea that WDH will be ready for League Two after a handful of matches with Aldershot, given some of his displays at the end of last season, is in my opinion fanciful.

Muller always impressed me last season and apparently looked really good in pre-season. Maybe he should have been given the opportunity to show what he could do here before being sent on loan. Last season he had the misfortune to be paired with WDH more often than not when he played - I would love to see him given a run of games with Stewart or Jombati so he could demonstrate why he should be an automatic selection for the team.

Instead he'll spend half a season working with unfamiliar defenders at Morcambe. And if he becomes a success up there, will he really want to return to us with all the uncertainty that ensues? All the while we're left with less strength in depth and less opportunity to drop players not up to scratch (here's looking at you, Adam el-Abd). A poor decision by Gareth Ainsworth. Trust your instincts @Jonny_King - not your six hours of tortured mental arithmetic trying to justify this perverse decision!

• What young centre-backs do Southampton have who are looking for some serious game time this year? That would be where my 2/6d would go

• @aloysius Tortured? I wish my mental arithmetic was as good as that!

I do see where you're coming from, but GA seems to want to persevere with El Abd, who to be fair we can't really judge after three games. Lets see how he does with Stewart. If it's not working out then we can either recall Müller (no idea if there is a recall clause or not) or get a loan/free agent in. It's a game GA plays well, so I'm not going to worry - yet.

What's Roger Johnson up to these days?

• Seems like from soccerbase and Wiki he was still at Charlton at the end of last season. Looks like he's without a club at the moment.

• Thanks for that @floyd. I should clarify I was half joking, but only half.

Sad to see how his career has fallen apart since going to Wolves and it's easy to forget how superb he was for us and indeed how successful he was at Cardiff and Birmingham. No doubt many managers would view him as a poisoned chalice, but hopefully he's put his personal problems behind him by now and could still do a decent job for someone.

If El-Abd turns out not to be the answer, perhaps Magic would be willing to take peanuts in exchange for getting some game time at a club he knows well? I'm sure this will get me laughed at, but he's big, strong, experienced, superb in the air, scores goals and as I recall not too shoddy on the ball. If he's fit and even half the player he was five years ago then he would arguably be a decent addition. I don't actually think it would happen, but we could do a lot worse.

• Remember, you're not allowed to abuse me now.

• edited August 2017

I think we can, @Jonny_King . We just can't call you a f****** g**** c***. Just remember who buys your fanzines and make sure you direct your posts to them first, that's all.

• @aloysius said:
    I disagree with all of HCblue, Glenactico, Jonny_King and EwanHoosaami. We don't have enough strength in depth to send Muller out on loan. We're one injury and one suspension away from having no cover at the back at all - and the idea that WDH will be ready for League Two after a handful of matches with Aldershot, given some of his displays at the end of last season, is in my opinion fanciful.

Muller always impressed me last season and apparently looked really good in pre-season. Maybe he should have been given the opportunity to show what he could do here before being sent on loan. Last season he had the misfortune to be paired with WDH more often than not when he played - I would love to see him given a run of games with Stewart or Jombati so he could demonstrate why he should be an automatic selection for the team.

Instead he'll spend half a season working with unfamiliar defenders at Morcambe. And if he becomes a success up there, will he really want to return to us with all the uncertainty that ensues? All the while we're left with less strength in depth and less opportunity to drop players not up to scratch (here's looking at you, Adam el-Abd). A poor decision by Gareth Ainsworth. Trust your instincts Jonny_King - not your six hours of tortured mental arithmetic trying to justify this perverse decision!

We will still have 4 players able to play that position (el abd, stewart, sido, rowe). We would need three of four to be unavailable to come really unstuck. Seems unlikely to happen to me. Plus De Hav is due back in a couple of weeks anyway, right?

• Fabulous geeky chap.

• @HCblue Well played Sir!

• @HCBlue I'm clapping that one...class post.

• @Jonny_King Roger is one of my favourite ex-Wanderers, so i agree, i'd love to have him back. Can't see it happening though.

• Watched him tonight v Carlisle...

Not convinced he's a centre half, caught out a couple of times etc... his distribution was very good though and was a threat of set pieces.

Was suprised to hear he got givin MOTM.

• Reading the Shrimpers forum Max had a great game. This loan could be just what he needed.

• According to his own twitter post he did receive the MOTM award... whilst we shipped another 5 goals.

• Didn't see our game so can't comment but i dont think Muller can defend myself and isnt very good.

As for MOTM yeah he did get it, but his team lost 2-0 and could of been more. I still dont think he deserved it though. Also was at the accy v west brom game last week and the accy MOTM was the sub who come on with about 15 mins to go!!

• good business by GA to get Bentley to pay another poor players wages for a while, thanks for ya help Tommo with that btw.

• @rmjlondon said:
    good business by GA to get Bentley to pay another poor players wages for a while, thanks for ya help Tommo with that btw.

Can we get the Morecambe forum to take your posts till the new year