Skip to content

Match day thread: Fulham (League Cup)

Comments

• What was the football like?

• @Wwfc2015_ I think you would be better supporting the likes of Billericay Town. You dont ever live in the real world do you?

• I came into the game expecting a 2-0 loss, hoping we'd nick a 1-0. We lost 2-0... can't complain.

Nothing hugely positive about the performance, but nothing overly negative.

Williams looked decent, Muller had a good game and Brown too. Defensively looked good enough for L2 but very little attacking thread. Tyson got better as the game went on though.

• How many times did Hayes find a Fulham shirt with his first touch ?

• I thought everyone did OK. The shape was interesting but we didn't have much threat going forward. Needed someone in midfield to get on the ball or maybe Muller to carry it out.

Tyson looked very sharp and has bags of pace. I also though Freeman did well in his brief time on the pitch. He really deserves a little run of league starts at some point.

Fulham looked a very decent side, second 11 or not. They were worthy winners, although we created a few openings second half and probably should have got a goal.

• @bigred87 There was certainly less hoofball, but we still need to make passes that our team can use. We were not poor, but nowhere near the level of the Fulham side

• Hope Freeman gets more game time he always seems to do well when he comes on.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    So, so poor

Does this person ever have anything positive to say?it was refreshing to see some nice passing movements and keeping the ball on the floor regardless of the result.

• I was amazed that PCH carried on after receiving lengthy treatment. He seemed to hobble very slowly to the touchline before getting the nod from Gavin Ward to come back on. He seemed to be running normally until half time but was replaced by Nathan Tyson for the second half. We spoke to him after the game. He was holding the back of his right hand in the small of his back and told us he had been knee'd in the back.
    A word of praise for two of the old boys. Adam El-Abd did a terrific job organising the defence (and defending well himself) and Scott Brown made several excellent saves.

I don't think we've heard from @rmjlondon yet. No doubt recovering from the shock of a crowd 1639 more than the 2000 he would have been shocked

• ........by in the first place. [Edit function defunct again]

• A few glimpses of the Tyson of old tonight, including a lovely turn in the box that left their defender stranded. Hopefully see more of the same against L2 opposition.

Generally decent performance though perhaps predictably Fulham's passing was superior to ours. Their keeper' s distribution was excellent.

Their fans seemed to enjoy the partridge display as much as the game.

• @Glenactico I guess, with all due respect to them, it wasn't really the most creative midfield we could have put out. Hopefully that same formation but with Gape and O'Nien plus Saunders in the hole would give us more attacking threat.

Interesting to see what system we play against Port Vale.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Glenactico I guess, with all due respect to them, it wasn't really the most creative midfield we could have put out. Hopefully that same formation but with Gape and O'Nien plus Saunders in the hole would give us more attacking threat.

Interesting to see what system we play against Port Vale.

Fair point. Id be astounded if we played 532 on Saturday.

• did any of you watch the game tonight ? we were absolutely woeful, I would say our midfield was an embarrassment as was Paul Hayes, he has gone from GA number 1 player to not even captain anymore wtf has gone on there ??? anybody ??? Im sorry but Williams is nowhere near upto it and incredibly naive but will learn with more games as looks like he has some tools to do well, Freeman was excellent when he came on and Tyson looked a threat when played through the middle but I expect that wasn't how it will be on Saturday at Vale Park.

• I @rmjlondon demand a complete and utter ban on football at Adams Park until they tell me WTF is going on!! Anybody? Anybody with eyes? You managed to completely contradict yourself in your one sentence about Williams, richie. That was his FIRST game with a new team...and you say he is nowhere near up to it...but he might be...if he gets games. The point of him being here. When it's quiet in the shop take a moment and have a think. Oh and I was there and we were not woeful. But I can see you've already made your mind up what you'll be posting about Vale...unless of course it does not go as badly as you want.

• I have not at all, he is not upto it and if JJ was injured GA would not play him.

• Not only was it young Jack Williams' first competitive game for Wycombe, it was his first ever game as a professional footballer. He played wide left midfield, hugging the touchline. One or two balls forward to him were narrowly too wide but, when the ball was played to him, his control was good and he was involved in several swift interpassing moves. He also tracked back to the left back position when cover was needed or he'd lost the ball. Those observations are based on the first half; my eyesight prevents me from seeing exactly what's occurring on the far (Frank Adams) side. I agree with @rmjlondon (unsurprisingly silent about the gate) that Jack shows plenty of potential.

• Thanks for the insight. I think you're nowhere near right, but you might be given certain circumstances and the right tool.

• I take it that was addressed to @rmjlondon, @Wendoverman.

• @micra yup that was for richie. It seems you saw what I saw with my very own eyes.

• Actually, I think @rmjlondon asks a very pertinent question there. Why was el-Abd captain when Paul Hayes started the match? Has Hayes lost his role as club captain? Is there an acknowledgement in that from GA that he won't be starting many matches this season?

It's a pretty big deal changing the club captaincy - if that's what's happened surely it's worthy of an announcement from the media team?

• Isn't Blooms club captain?

• is anyone else worried about our lack of good forward option. I see lack of goals being a bugbear again this season. Talking of which, anyone have any news on Kashket and his injury?

• Hayes is club captain and blooms vice and both started but el abd was skipper I suspect he said if I sign Im captain which has prob knocked hayesy for 6 and it shows in his performance.

• I think MindlessDrugHoover is right and Richie is, shockingly, wrong.

• Sorry Richie, Bloomfield is definitely club captain.

• "Hayes is club captain and blooms vice and both started but el abd was skipper I suspect he said if I sign Im captain which has prob knocked hayesy for 6 and it shows in his performance."

living in his own fantasy world where the moment he dreams something up it becomes the truth

• My error, not Richie's. He referred to him as 'captain', me as 'club captain'. None-the-less, has there ever been a time since he signed for us permanently when Hayes started a match and wasn't captain? Normally he would even take over captaincy when coming on as a sub. If that's changed this season, I'd be interested to get confirmation from the club.

• Hayes is always on pitch captain and its has changed for some reason and I would suggest that impacts on his performance.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Hayes is always on pitch captain and its has changed for some reason and I would suggest that impacts on his performance.

Correction @rmjlondon: Paul Hayes has always been on pitch captain (since he returned on a permanent basis). I can think of one or two possible reasons why he has relinquished that role. Firstly, I doubt very much that Adam El-Abd would have insisted on being made captain as a condition of signing. He is clearly perfectly cut out for the role (he was skipper at Shrewsbury of course) and I'm sure Paul Hayes is man enough and sufficiently self-aware to accept that his playing days are coming to an end. Nor do I see him as someone who would sulk and let that affect his game.

My final point is that I think a central defender is far better placed to be skipper than an attacker. Good as our back four has been for several years, I think you will find that it hasn't always been as well marshalled as it will be this season.