Skip to content

Fee agreed for new signing but so far no terms

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well, I've done some browsing and still can't find this supposed news that is in the public domain. Where should I be looking @rmjlondon ?

• Hear hear @fame_46

If Ainsworth got let go tomorrow, I think he'd be the first manager picked up by another L1 or L2 club when someone else got fired.

You'll sorely miss him when he's gone, no matter who we get next.

• If Gareth Ainsworth were to get let go tomorrow, I suspect the best move for him would be to an Eastleigh or an Ebbsfleet. He needs to get a promotion on his CV before I expect many other league clubs will look at him. From what we've been hearing from the Lincoln fans in the last few days, game management and "rock-and-roll football" pays dividends in the division below. Though, of course, the Cowleys came to Adams Park with a plan B.

• The bewildering thing is that he clearly does have some tactical nous and the way the team was set up to play for the first half of the play-off season was good to watch.

but it is clear he has a preferred option at the moment of keeping it simple with no width and a reluctance to change tactics halfway through, although as we weren't losing for long on Saturday and as he would probably have been happy with a point and as Lincoln didn't really look like scoring in the last half hour (albeit more likely than us) he probably felt he didn't need to.

As others have said it will be interesting to see the tactics tonight

• He's a big enough character with plenty of connections in the game and a decent track record that he will go up rather than down once he leaves Wycombe for whatever reason.

• Any chairman wanting to get the best of a small squad on a limited budget would be mad not to consider him - whatever small means in whatever division. Promotion with us would - will - give him a dilemma; it will certainly make him more of a target for other clubs but it may also encourage him to stay longer. I sense a streak of loyalty in him which is uncommon.

• lets see how we do over the next 6-8 weeks but I would say were a mile off top 3 and playoffs unless we sign somebody to score some goals or get Kashket on the park.

• I tend to agree Rich.

• edited August 2017

@fame_46 ,i do agree with your theme in general, but Tottenham did play a reserve team against us! So while it's technically factual we were the only ones to score 3 there, it's not really any sort of proof that we had some incredible master plan that even the Premier league giants didn't have!

In terms of how we'll do this season, way too early to tell of course! And i suspect Lincoln will be a decent force in league 2 this year.
    However, unless we utilise Tyson better, and get Paris firing, more often than not I can see the limited hoof to Bayo being repelled by lanky centre backs. Southwell is absolutely redundant out wide.

Kashket would definitely help us pinch wins we don't necessarily deserve, but otherwise you can see a lot of evenly matched barren games.

• bet Hayes looks like Maradona tonight as Fulham will give us space and time to play.

• I do fear that Kashket will become an enigma or a false messiah.
    I have no doubt that he has a genuine injury but he may be one of those players who is unable to play through the pain and therefore his career will be stop start.

• I too fear for Kashket. I just have this horrible feeling that we won't see him until 2018 & he will unsurprisingly pick up other niggly injuries that is common after extended periods out of the game.
    I can see, (but sincerely hope not), him having to leave/retire from the game.

• I too am a prophet of doom re Kashket, while wishing the best for him, both in terms of the likelihood of his playing and our prospects for scoring freely without him.

Ah, happy day!

• I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the end of an era. Howard moving on (wouldn't be surprised to see him go completely by this time next year), supporters taking for granted high mid table position and tiring of the football. Possibly a more difficult season ahead. All kind of feels like might be moving to a conclusion.

Time will (eventually) tell what life after GA will be like. For what its worth my own view is that likelihood is that most will fairly quickly realise just what a good job he has doing keeping the cub competing on very low budgets. Maybe time will rove me wrong though.

In perhaps relatednews, I see that one of our competitor teams in our division has just spent 350k on a player - no doubt funded by a sugar daddy owner. At WWFC the desire is to be fan owned, play attractive football and be at the top of the league. I am not convinced all three are possible for long, arguably not even two of those three. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong on that too. lets hope so.

• If a player is already having to massively manage something at 21, chances are they'll be long gone by 25 unfortunately. Hopefully there's some breakthrough or way of still having a good career though.

I wonder though if we were aware of this problem on signing him, or thought, for free, at league 2, it's not much of a risk?

As for tonight, i dare say it'll be the way these games v champ teams have gone in recent years. Play some nice football, but not really threaten, and lose to the odd goal.

It's a little disturbing that they're not even bothering to open the Frank Adams stand, for what surely is one of the most attractive ties we could possibly have got in this round!
    Not opening stands is the domain of the LDV cup

• @EwanHoosaami Rather than having a horrible feeling about not seeing Kashket until 2018, I kind of hope we don't try to rush him back too soon and would rather his injury was given as long as it takes to get properly resolved. I remember Matt Bloomfield lost practically a whole season, due to a mysterious injury that needed a lot of careful handling to fix, but eventually came back as good, and I would argue actually better, than before, and has continued to be able to play. Hopefully, Kashket can come back strongly like Bloomfield did.

• Less than 2000 watched last years version against Bristol city, I was one of them as it happened. A game memorable now only for the antics of a comedy partridge. When birds offer more value than the football, maybe time to scrap the competition.

• While I'd share the worry about Scotty, surgical procedures are always advancing, with sports science often at the cutting edge. Also, how many times have we thought Blooms' career was "finally over this time"?

• Switched my phone on. Numerous comments to read about a new signing. Excellent. Wonder who it could be. Oh, right. Back to sleep.

Much talk about Kashket's "injury". As I have always understood it, it is not an injury in the normal sense of damage to the body incurred as a result of an accident or some kind of strain or blow to the body incurred whilst taking part in a sporting activity. Rather it is an ongoing (i.e. chronic) and relatively longstanding condition affecting the hip flexor muscle.

When I heard, weeks ago, rumours that he would be out until November, I was encouraged to infer that he had received, or was receiving, some sort of treatment or had undergone (or was due to undergo) surgery, enabling the medical people to give a rough indication of how soon he might be able to resume playing. If that were so, it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to expect some sort of enlightenment from the club. Put us out of our misery, as it were.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    While I'd share the worry about Scotty, surgical procedures are always advancing, with sports science often at the cutting edge. Also, how many times have we thought Blooms' career was "finally over this time"?

Not sure about that. These are people who use Herbalife and very expensive sellotape.

• Always worth buying expensive sellotape - the Tesco own-brand stuff is rubbish.

• edited August 2017

Gorilla tape is even better!

• Can we use it on Richie?

• At our age, Mrs micra and I have difficulty hearing one another from room to room. I called out the other day "Have we got any gaffer tape?" and got the reply "what do you want Jaffa Cakes for?"

• Gary roberts released by pompey..

• Still waiting.....

• yes aint we all not gonna be before weekend now

• Enjoying the way the person behind the @rmjlondon spoof manages to play on some of our doubts and wishes.

The thirst for inside knowledge.
    We all love to see a new exciting signing.
    It's always good to know someone is more depressed about things than you are.

I hope which ever one of the regular posters is behind this keeps going. It keeps dragging people in to the net and in a strange fake medium kind of way gives people what they want.

• Redundant 'fake' there, @Right_in_the_Middle