Skip to content

Who Are Ya? - Wycombe Wanderers

2»

Comments

• @Alexo I'd forgotten that. In my memory I was stood all game and forgot that we were in seats (were we?).

On the basis that it took me longer to come down from the Wimbledon game than any other I'd probably put that top but White Hart Lane is certainly high up in recent times.

I didn't go to Torquay so can't really comment on that but the emotions there must have surpassed anything given the feeling if it had - as it so nearly did - gone the other way for us. As it was, driving along Snake Pass listening to Radio Five flit to Bristol every 30 seconds almost proved fatal

• To be sure @Wig_and_Pen if we'd held on at WHL, that would be right up there with Wimbledon and Leicester.

Interesting comments about Lincoln and Torquay. I remember never doubting we'd get the result we needed at Sincil Bank, so I was fairly relaxed, even as my dad started to console me after about 75 minutes.

As for Torquay, I was convinced we never had a chance from the moment the Bristol Rovers game was over. As @eric_plant put it, the closer we got to a result, the worse it got. I'm not sure anything in sport will replicate how I felt after that.

• I agree with @DevC on this one (although I wasn't at Wimbledon or Leicester). Although Eric's description is spot on, the feeling of sheer joy/relief as that Bristol Rovers score came in is unlike anything I've ever witnessed watching Wycombe.

• That feeling of nausea throughout the entire second half at Torquay is still a vivid memory. Getting sms messages throughout from friends up North and in Spain heightened the anxiety. I had travelled there for a wake, with no hope. I took my wife and daughter to at least "make something of the day" and my son to watch WWFC play there last ever FL game. As early in the second half, our result was never in doubt so it became a 35 minute stare at the phone screen with a horrible feeling of rising bile each time it beeped with a new message. Hopelessness turned & the last few minutes were bordering on cardiac failure. As such that made in to second spot behind Wimbledon away which is still remembered by my brother in law and his son as the very best game they have ever attended and they have been season ticket holders at Everton for nearly 30 years. Leicester third and WHL 4th for me.

• Does anyone know if video of the full match at Selhurst Park - normal time, extra time and penalties, uncut - is available on the web somewhere?

• I agree Alexo. Arrived late and a steward told us "your 1 nil down lads might as well go home" the rest was history also have fond memories of Coventry City in a cup competition when Bobby Gould was their manager.