Skip to content

Who Are Ya? - Wycombe Wanderers

Comments

• A fine well balanced set of views from Hugh there. Agree with almost all of that.

• edited August 2017

No idea how anyone can describe WHL as 'the greatest sporting event i've ever experienced,' but apart from that i agree with almost everything.

BTW @VitalLincolnCity our best player is Sam Saunders, not Scott.

• Good stuff that from Hugh

• 'Honestly, no idea. Luton will be up there.' some idea

• Good darts from Hugh

• @floyd WHL was, by some distance, the most engaging sporting experience I've ever had, for the sheer weight of emotion that it engendered in me. Quite right about Sam - sorry, it was late.

• I completely agree with the word engaging.

• In the all time top ten, easily

• Top 75 for me

• Good stuff. Uncontroversial apart from another 2" off El-Abd's height and "undemonstrative" as a description of GA!
    In interviews perhaps and when answering questions at meetings but, during matches, he's like a whirling Dervish!
    Good to put a proper name to the moniker.

• Difficult to narrow down to 10 when you support 17 teams I suppose

• It's the age of the Flaneur son keep up

• Flâneur perhaps? Pretentious? Moi?

• As a recent arrivee to Bucks...19 years or so...8 or nine years as a regular at AP I've seen a lot of football over the years - European nights with Forest...important Premier league games..Championship matches and so on and I can honestly say for the level of performance, quality of the opposition and the excitement of the game, the White Hart Lane match was one of the best live games I have seen. But I am old and my memory is fading...

• It was good - but it was no Wimbledon away

• that would also make the top ten. Top three probably

• Top one for me. That game had everything.

• Got to be Filbert St for me

• Spurs will live long in the memory. Several Spurs fans I work with said it was one of the most entertaining games they could remember too, but they may have been being kind.

• @eric_plant Fair enough, I sadly had to miss that game due to illness and I still feel sad thinking about missing it. (I mean; proper ill, not just manflu).

I'd say the Wimbledon game is more or less unbeatable for sheer drama and the topsy-turvy nature of which side was on top - I must have gone through just about every possible emotion that night.

However, the Leicester game was another step up in quality of opposition and probably represented the highpoint of the whole cup run. Couldn't comment on the quality of the game other than watching the highlights, but maybe slightly better on a much superior playing surface to that at Selhurst Park. Then there was that chap Essandoh who had some sort of backstory...

• As pure drama Wimbledon is unbeatable, but in terms of achievement, winning away at a top 6 Premier League side in the quarter finals of the FA Cup will probably never be topped.

• Surprised no one has mentioned Torquay. For what it meant for the future, the unity and pride in the crowd from the start and the sheer bloody tension of trying to follow developments 100 miles up the road plus the blessed relief when news came through of the final whistle, it will always be my favourite football moment.

• I'm not surprised you have mentioned Torquay. It's 1 in 4 posts Dev

• More than that surely, but highly relevant to what this thread has become, would you not agree peter.

• edited August 2017

I am sure there have been more important, more dramatic, more exhilarating games and results...but WHL was a great game that did not depend on poor or second string opposition or a bit of luck but two teams playing really well to create an exciting spectacle. If only we had been in a tomato soup coloured away strip the day would have been perfect...

• Torquay is a funny one. We can look back on it fondly now but the afternoon itself was like torture. Never felt more sick during a game for such a prolonged period of time. Paradoxically got exponentially worse as the possibility of survival increased, as it goes.

That said, for the moment when we knew, and for the scenes afterwards, then yes I think it sneaks into the top ten. As would Lincoln in '99 probably

• Exquisite torture though mixed with hope and most of all pride and togetherness.

Tops for me, but of course subjective.

• Wimbledon for me. Agree with the WHL comments, and Filbert Street was also an extraordinary event, but if we're talking about the "greatest sporting event I've experienced" it has to be the Wimbledon game. I just wonder if, had we clung on to the lead at Spurs, my view would be different? I'm not sure it would, I think I'd still go for Wimbledon, for the drama of it. If we had clung on at WHL we would never have been behind in that game for example.

• I listened on the radio which I daresay, despite the best efforts of @bluntphil , may have lessened the emotional impact for me!

• Wimbledon gets my vote also. Being 6'2 I left the ground with the worst bruises on my knees and shins. Up and down like a yo yo! No leg room at all in that rickety old wooden stadium!!!