Skip to content

Moving on

13»

Comments

• was there a sell on clause included in the transfer of Matt Ingram to QPR?

• Hope so, @eric_plant , though, since he's not playing at all, he's unlikely to attract much of a fee at present.

• I hope, for the sake of the club's finances and for the player's career, we will be fattening up Luke O'Nien ready for marketday at the end of the season. By which I mean getting him back to the skillful, box-to-box, ball-playing midfielder who wowed us all two years ago, rather than the latter-day 'clogger' @malone cruelly (though sadly, increasingly accurately) labels him. Let's get a season of wonder out of him then flog him for six-figures to Barnsley.

• I have to say that I'm not reading the same things into our lack of signing as much of this thread, well the bits that talk about our financial situation anyway.

To me, its much more down to the manager largely being happy with the squad that he's got having largely got ahead of the game during the second half of last season by signing Sam Saunders and Dominic Gape, along with an extended contract for Scott Kashket.

We've a solid goalkeeper at this level, pretty much retained the same defence as last season with El-Abd being a straight replacement for Pierre (albeit most probably not as good but that was inevitable) and plenty of quality/options in midfield.

We're quite possibly a forward light due to Weston's late change of heart and perhaps Nathan Tyson will fill that gap or maybe a loanee.

But overall, given that we can largely field the team that played so well against Cambridge on the final day of last season I'm not sure we've too much to worry about and we'll be reasonably competitive once again.

• edited July 2017

@DevC my point was that there is probably (I hope) an existing plan to pay off the debts over x years, based on gate/ST receipts and the Magic Money Tree (AKA the wilted fruits from the Premier that fall onto our barren patch in League 2). I would hope that this plan does not require one off windfalls from ex player sales or exciting cup runs.

Therefore a windfall is hopefully an added bonus we could use several ways. Paying dept back early is obviously one (and very prudent), my 'flash the cash' approach is another (and I agree not the best approach) but a mixed approach of paying some dept and maybe paying a bit extra in wages might not be a bad idea. We are in the entertainment business so actually improving the entertainment on offer could help*

*I agree there is no guaranteeing that paying extra will work but as long as we don't risk the repayment plan spending a bit of extra money we found down the back of the sofa on a takeaway could improve our hunger a little

• @aloysius I think the chances of returning O'Nien to the ball playing box to box midfielder that we originally marvelled at are pretty much zero. I think that badge will be reserved for Saunders?

• I think people are forgetting that three of the squad Rowe, Muller and WDH fell so far out of favour that 'Super fan' Dave Bassett was closer to a 1st team call up.
    I can only imagine Mr Ainsworth has some top quality loans waiting in the wings.

• @EwanHoosaami I sadly fear you might be right - but is it beyond the realms of possibility to have Gape, Bean or Rowe acting as a sweeper, with Saunders and O'Nien ahead of him - the former in the creative role, the latter as a box-to-box marauder?

• @aloysius The formation you describe was more or less the one that I'd say we played when we produced our best football at the end of the season. Thus, I hope you're right and that that is the way we go.

• One can live in hope @aloysius but not necessarily in expectation.

• @ChasHarps Dave in twinkling cap was lurking near the tunnel this evening in an attempt to catch the gaffer's eye.

• I think there has to be some question concerning Bertie Bassett's mobility these days. He never strays far from that gate near the tunnel now.

• No substitute for experience, when others are asked to "put your medals on the table"
    Quick as flash Superfan can slam down a whole cap full of lapel badges. Even the elusive Alder Valley and Jeffways little beauts.