Skip to content

Moving on

I'll be watching out for team news for tomorrow. Despite the lack of transfers I'm pretty cool with the squad. However if no Kashket again tomorrow I'll start to get a bit twitchy.

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I'll be watching out for team news for tomorrow. Despite the lack of transfers I'm pretty cool with the squad. However if no Kashket again tomorrow I'll start to get a bit twitchy.

So will I.

• Someone was saying online he's out until November, but obviously that's just a rumour.

• That would be horrendous. Must say I was somewhat concerned about JJ's reference to "very little (sic) injuries so far this pre-season "

• So no Kashket and no Tyson in the match squad today. Troubling.

• Nor any of the triallists. Have we rejected all of them? They all us?!

• The only slightly redeeming context, is 3 friendlies in 8 days.
    If Kashket doesn't show in either of those it gets a lot more worrying.

• He needs match fitness as much as anyone so resting him for 2 consecutive friendlies suggests a problem.

• Rumour is that he's out until November.
    Not sure how serious Anthony Stewart's injury is.
    On a more positive note, I wonder if there will be an announcement ahead of the Wimbledon match that Nathan Tyson and/or Owain Jones have signed.

• Before neither featured today I was expecting them to be announced at Monday's kit launch. Not so sure any more.

• @micra I must admit their absence today suggests that may be less likely

• edited July 2017

Owain Jones played for Yeovil in their 2-1 win at Frome this afternoon so probably out of GA's plans.

• Aah, interesting. He was there for the last 4 months of last season and of course it's much nearer home. Disappointing.

• Just checked. He was only there for 3 months and only played twice. Still shown as a free agent.

• May I just add that I've never seen him play, but he hasn't yet been "snapped up" by a top six premiereship side, he apparently only played a few games for Yeovil at the arse end if last season, is only a trialist with both us & the pig molesters, therefore by definition must be crap and not worth the paper for his signature. Ta.

• A Premier League top six side is hardly likely to "snap up" a 20 year old lady. He has represented Wales at U17,U19 and U21 levels (evidently doesn't do even years) and (for Malone) is over 6'.

I realise you were deliberately adopting the Trevor approach @EwanHoosami but I feel you are being unnecessarily dismissive on very little evidence.

• Should read 'lad' !!

• You know Micra, when you make one of your many typos, you can just edit on the original post!

• I realise you were deliberately adopting the Trevor approach EwanHoosami but I feel you are being unnecessarily dismissive on very little evidence.
    That was the point @micra it was a jibe at the more moronic of our posters, not in any way a judgement of his ability/potential. As I stated, nevery seen him play.
    Maybe I should have put #irony at the end to make it clearer?

• Yes, Ewan, as I implied above - the Trevor reference - I knew full well that you were being ironic. I would have been moronic not to have realised that.
    I rarely make typos. I left the 'lady' in because it tickled me (and I hope others).
    Once I have posted, my iPhone won't allow me to edit.
    Your 'nevery' left me cold, I'm afraid!

• So last year's kit launch saw a certain mix opinion player sign I wonder....

• So how exciting is this? Gaz has to fashion a league winning side apparently with no decent players, no new players and everyone injured.

• What a disappointment..GA trests fans as mugs ...no updates, no new signings .....looks like a bad season is coming

• What is our financial position? Is it now so bad we cannot put together a squad to really challenge for promotion? We had the Ibe money last season which cleared a great deal of debt and we had the cup run and the supporters transfer contributions. Are we really penniless?

I am also amazed that we are talking about saving the club money by collecting our season tickets to save circa £1,000. Happy to do that but why on earth did we not charge postage? I am sure everyone would have gladly paid £1 or so extra to have the season tickets delivered, if that was their preference.

If we are in a financial mess then it would be better letting the supporters know surely? At least then we may be able to help if needed.

Can someone from the club comment?

• edited July 2017

@Blue_since_1990 I'm not from the club but I would think the answer to your first question is that the club believe we do have a squad to challenge for promotion. As probably do another dozen or more clubs in our league. We were pretty close last year despite a very poor start, a post-Spurs hangover and a horrendously punishing Feb - March fixture list. I don't think we are significantly weaker with the first XI than at the end of last year and I'm sure there will be a couple more additions before the end of August.

On your second point I'm pretty sure that the club did ask for postage if you wanted your season tickets posted (and I do as I live in one of @DevC's mysterious postcode districts and no way was I coming down for a pre-season friendly to pick it up) so I think that's just a rumour.

As for your third point we are probably still in a financial mess - just not as deep as we were

• Can we really afford to lose four senior members of the squad and only bring one person in? Has there ever been a pre-season where we're down a net three players with less than two weeks to the first fixture? As @Blue_since_1990 says, we had a very successful season for income last season. If we're struggling financially already that does not bode well. You also begin to wonder how much we're actually paying Sam Saunders, if we're really struggling to afford new recruits.

• @bookertease said:
    Blue_since_1990 I'm not from the club but I would think the answer to your first question is that the club believe we do have a squad to challenge for promotion. As probably do another dozen or more clubs in our league. We were pretty close last year despite a very poor start, a post-Spurs hangover and a horrendously punishing Feb - March fixture list. I don't think we are significantly weaker with the first XI than at the end of last year and I'm sure there will be a couple more additions before the end of August.

Whilst I agree we were close last season some of that came down to Kashket and Bayo over performing something we can't count on again. Hayes is a year older so his form loss last season might be the new norm.

Personally I think we need 3 more bodies under the new transfer window rules. Mainly attacking but a defender would not go a miss.

• I was not asked to pay postage Bookertease and the club announced that any season tickets not collected by Wednesday the 26th would be posted out. That to me means the club are going to take on some expense related to postage.
    As for the recruitment and squad strength, aboysius as made our position quite clear. Maybe it will change with a few more coming in and I really hope so.

• @Wwfc2015_ not like you to be so negative. Like @bookertease I also think Gareth believes he has a decent enough squad for this season...and I think we are not far off myself...but we have obviously been unlucky with injuries. I'm expecting some exciting loans. The problem we have is, as with PCH and Kashket, both of whom can be exciting players when they are on form...do we dump them as they are injury prone or take care with them for the skill they bring when they DO play? It's a tricky balancing act for a club in our position. We might have a bit more money than we did...but I cannot believe it's an open chequebook position yet..so cutting cloth etc etc.

• Why do we feel WWFC are entitled to challenge for promotion every season? We should aim to of course but expect to? Why?

With Tyson not having signed (yet?) and Kashket looking sadly like any playing time will be a bonus, we probably are a little light, I suspect GA is trying to bring in one or two new attacking heads. Sadly the guaranteed 20 goal a year men are outside our pay range, so its a promising kid or a old head coming to the end of his career. Fan ownership has negative as well as positive consequences. Deal with it.