Skip to content

New goalie shirts.

Comments

• I cant even comment on these they are that bad!

• @EwanHoosaami asks the question I have as well. If it's distracting for opponent strikers, surely it will also be for our own defenders. I guess the theory is our ones will soon get used to it. Would love Gaz to trot it out as the excuse if we lose the first couple of matches though!

Right, having read through a page of comments on the shirts, I guess its time to head to the official site to see them for myself. I shall don sunglasses first.

• Very rarely Aloysius do our defenders run in on goal and attempt to slip the ball past our GK into the corner of the goal.

• I bet the twitter engagement figures are thru the roof.

• at one point in life do football fans become so embittered that you rant about how a goalkeepers shirt design is a 'disgrace'

• Well I love them. Genuinely, in the case of the baby pink one, and for the sheer insouciance of it in the case of the yellow (with sploges of everything else) one.

But I particularly love this quote from Brown: "I’m looking forward to wearing them throughout the season". He's not going to take any loanee nonsense this time, is he? And given the humiliation the club are putting him through with that shirt, they kinda owe him a season between the sticks now!

• Well I've added the picture from the website as the wallpaper on my work PC. That should stop me opening it up and doing any work for a while.

I can't say I'm personally sold on the design but they are funny and I'm liking our tradition of increasingly psychedelic GK kits. Really looking forward to the 2018/19 version...

• I want some of whatever it was Baz was taking when they came up with that. Have they been experimenting on how to mellow him out for next season?

• "Very rarely Aloysius do our defenders run in on goal and attempt to slip the ball past our GK into the corner of the goal."
    seriously @DevC, have you ever played this game called football?

• Oh dear @prufrock_91. Most of are capable of thinking that, for example, western governments should be doing more to help Syrian refugees, and that the new GK shirts are ridiculous.

• Very very badly Ewan, although I did once keep Shaun Goater quiet for 30 seconds or so before he started scoring at will. That is a different story however.

Never did I as a defender attempt to pass the ball beyond my goalkeeper into my own net. Maybe that is why United never made the call??

• Surely our defenders will be playing far higher up the pitch so as not to get too close to the paisley explosion, thus avoiding any chance of passing into our own goal?

• I rather like the yellow shirt design, but think it is spoiled by having the pink club badge on it; would look better with the usual blue badge.

• @Uncle_T Exactly. Since when did we have or want pink in the badge. Surely somethings are sacred.

• That's hilarious...have we replaced Baz with Bez? Can't decide whether it's 'arf' or 'barf'..

• Two things about the kit. One, I am not the target market and I know that so I just look at them and go 'mnnehh'. Two, it has generated a lot of media about the club and that is something the club is really working well at improving. So job done I reckon.

• Scientific study just concluded suggests a keeper wearing all green cannot be seen by opposition strikers so they don't know where to shoot to avoid him. This research sponsored by Derek McIdiot manager at Plymouth who complained about invisible outfield kit last season. Time to reconsider our goalie tops,

• Campos sported various classics in this vein for Mexico back in the 80's - I think it's eccentric and entertaining. Clearly wouldn't buy one but how many people buy goalie shirts anyway??

• I have to say I don't find it as appalling as I was expecting from the original posts.

• Ive gone from thinking both are disgusting an hour ago to..... mmmmm... growing on me?!

• If we are going down this route, next season the goalie kit should be silver sequins for a shiny mirrored effect! One ray of sunlight and the opposition will we blinded! If the suns not out, or it's a night game, we can rely on the flood lights!!!

• Have the horrible feeling this will backfire on us. I know it's not as simple as this but you can see strikers even keener to prove a point against us and just be that little bit more accurate.

So I think we'll need to score a shed load of goals if we want to stay clear of trouble

• Personally I don't think the yellow one is as bad as the green and pink monstrosity we had last year. Should sell plenty of them as well!

Fair play to the club's media team though - they've played an absolute blinder with this one.

• @bookertease said: I know it's not as simple as this but you can see strikers even keener to prove a point against us and just be that little bit more accurate.

i don't for a moment think a striker has time to think "fuck it, that'll do" when he shoots. He's doing what he can to naturally place it somewhere the keeper won't be, or is difficult to save (with very mixed results at league two level)

If he's thinking about the shirt or being "more accurate", then that's a fraction of a second more time for the keeper to get set or a defenders boot to get in the way.

• All this "science" is going to sound pretty stupid if we're 3-0 down at half time on the first day of the season

Still, I'm sure that won't happen

• The home kit is a brilliant rendition of the 'Yellow Submarine' movie on one shirt. I just wish they had stuck a couple of blue meenies somewhere...

• dearohfkinlore, as a former press officer may have said on seeing that abomination.

• Science!

• shurely the excuse for another terrace song when the opposition don't score then !