Skip to content

Nathan Tyson Returns

Albeit on trial. Given a lot of his game was about pace, I am not sure how much of it he has left?

Comments

• No goals for Kilmarnock is a bit concerning. It does all rather hang on how much of his pace he still has at 35. There's no reason why he shouldn't still be fast enough - Michael Johnson was sprinting in the Olympics in his mid-30s - but there's no guarantee of it either.

• not sure he is good enough for league two tbh maybe a top side in the conference maybe .

• I'm sorry for being moany and negative, but it's seriously concerning that news of a 35 year old being on trial is the only thing we've got transfer-wise so far

• Having has a quick read of a Killie fans forum - it seems he tried hard, and still had pace - the ball just didnt fall for him, and they were collectively useless - promising!

• The thing people seem to be ignoring, is that yes pace drops off, but he had phenomenal levels to drop off from. Thus he'll probably still be quicker than most of our team!

Would be romantic to re-sign him, but only if he's still got some of the old magic

• Well, I suppose if Gaz plays old, experienced journeyman winger as often as he played the last old, experienced journeyman winger it's like for like. An assist in the Cup and then off to Ebbsfleet. ('Is it me or has this pitch got very narrow??')

• This is sensational news.

• Gary Thompson was pretty much our fastest player, and also one of the oldest

• @Wendoverman Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be) but when he was with us before wasn't NT an out-and-out striker, not a winger?

• This must be tricky for some Gasroomers demanding transfer action...we've signed a player (about time!!!) but he is old (typical!!) but a popular fan favourite (ooh dear...er....)

• He was class in a glass. Well worth a shot.

• No not at all you can certainly correct me @Wig_and_Pen as I only arrived at the tail end of Gormania, so I think he had already gone to the City Ground. I'm not sure what made me think he was a winger...ignorance...stupidity...a failure to check wikipedia before I type? Could be any one of those things. Ancient forwards haven't done too badly for us recently.

• It's also good to see that Tyson himself doesn't feel he's above a trial at a club he used to be a star player at.
    I doubt many players would necessarily fancy that!

• Your pretty much right Wig_and_Pen.

Tyson played nearly all his football at AP as a central striker but it wasn't always the case before he joined us and hasn't been since he left.

One of the reason he left Reading was that he couldn't get a game as a striker and always ended up getting put out on the left wing by the Royals, given his pace and left footedness, as often happens with young home grown players.

In the years after he left it became more and more common for clubs to play a front three (as Wycombe generally do now) and he's often found himself playing as the left sided man in a front three rather than through the middle.

So he probably offers us the ability to play in both roles, which might be handy given Myles Weston's departure and as an alternative to Bayo should we need one.

• Thanks @TheatreOfChairs @Wig_and_Pen Phew! Soothes my aging mind that I was not totally and completely wrong.

• Hopefully GA signs him because this will work I've been watching football since god was in short trousers I was right about Bayo and I'll go double or nothing on NT flying if he returns

• Also, despite my nonsensical ramblings last summer, our best player by miles last season was our oldest

• @eric_plant Barry Richardson?

• Perhaps we should run out to the Last of the Summer Wine theme?

• The age 'problem' many people have is a bit old hat really. Modern players don't look to buy a pub the moment they turn 30. Their fitness programs and the support clubs give them in maintaining fitness is as good as ever and therefore 35 is not a troubling age. At our level players that have a bit of guile and intelligence will always be stand out and I hope Nathan can bring this to us as well as his finishing ability. A combination of Bayo, Kashket, Hayes, Tyson plus another young'un maybe offers a lot of diversity and that's a big plus.

• Nothing that a couple of bottles of Grecian 2000 and a gentlemans corset can't fix

• @Morris_Ital It's not often my thoughts turn to popular beat combos of the past but your reference to God being in short trousers unavoidably brought this to mind: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/crashtestdummies/godshuffledhisfeet.html

• I don't have a problem with age @TheAndyGrahamFanClub Except my own!!!!
    Hayes was great before he had all his injury problems and Bayo was a revelation last year. Thommo worked in fits and starts...cannot work out why he did not score more goals like the one at White Hart Lane! Sometimes I think the oldies feel they have more to prove and justify their position than the youngsters, so if Tyson can power us to promotion I'm all for it!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub
    You have far more faith in Hayes than I do.
    Haven't seen anything in the last two seasons to think that he is an attacking threat anymore.

• @ChasHarps So you missed out on getting a ticket for the Spurs game then?

• One great volley, a penalty, a missed a sitter and buggered up a clearance for Spurs first goal.
    long time dining out on that !!

• I think we'll know soon enough whether Hayes has shaken off all the injury niggles which held him back last season. But I doubt he'll ever be a write-in on the teamsheet again.

• @Wig_and_Pen I haven't heard that track before and by gum I like it! I didn't listen to much CTD at the time but I'm definitely going to be giving that album a listen tomorrow at work thanks

• I recall seeing Nathan Tyson net a first half hat-trick for us at Lincoln - a game where we led 3-0 at half time and struggled to a 3-2 win if memory serves correctly. If he can play half as well as he played in the first 45 on that day he'll be a real asset.

• Hoping he'll do fine as the new Thommo. Ideal 433 player