Skip to content

Comments

• The official are saying its for 'family reasons'

• edited June 2017

Apparently he lives on the East side of London and was finding a daily drive around the M25 wearing.

Fair enough, decent but not exceptional player happy to take a step down to spend more time on his responsibilities as a dad.

Hard to criticise either club or player or indeed man.

• I wonder if Gaz still has Sammy Woods number on his phone

• GA: "Myles was honest in saying that the long drive round London each day was taking its toll & he needs to spend more time with family."

I dont feel like we saw the best of him - he could have had a brilliant season. Then again he may have been restricted to sub appearances etc. Surprised to see he played for us 26 times last season

• Really disappointed by this. Really thought he'd kick on this season.

• Seems like both Myles and the club have done the best thing in this situation, best of luck to him.

• Real shame, we certainly didn't see much of him! A few stand out moments, like the Plymouth late equaliser, and the run at Tottenham, but essentially for nothing.

I presume there wasn't a whisper of a transfer fee, yet we asked one for Brown!

• Not happy with this maybe he should have thought about the drive before signing a 2 year deal. I really liked him as a player offered natrual width down the left. I bet Ebbsfleet are paying him more than us but i guess if he doesnt want 2 play for us better off getting rid although I would have made Ebbsfleet pay a fee.

• Dissappointing, Never got a decent run in the team last season. Always impressed when he played, despite our narrow pitch. Hope we got a fee for him, especially as Ebbsfleet are loaded.

• Apparently no fee involved.

Wish him well.

• He didn't get started at the beginning of the season, went missing for a period after that for unspecified reasons, showed some promise here and there and now ends his career at Wycombe with a whimper.
    Unless he is getting more £££ at Ebsfleet which is very possible I guess it shows a lack of ambition IMHO but hey ho.

• He's looked a very good player at this level a few times despite limited opportunities so I'm sad to see him go.

• He won't be the last to waltz around Erik Dier !!

• If level 5 football and seeing your kids versus level 4 football and not represents a "lack of ambition" in your world, Andy, frankly I think it is you and not Myles Weston who needs to reassess his priorities in life.

• ah what a shame - I was hoping he was all set to feature strongly and have an excellent season for us next year. I thought he looked like an excellent player, and I'd agree that we never got to see the best of him in a Wycombe shirt

• We've lost three wingers now this close season and PCH is preferred up front. Which leaves Freeman as the only out-and-out winger left. Wonder if we'll bother signing any more or if we just kiss goodbye to ever seeing a 442 under GA again (excluding his narrow diamond formation, obviously).

Given we signed Weston from the league above, it should free up some significant budget for wages. So we really should be looking for a marquee signing this summer now, I hope.

I suspect the drive round the M25 seemed even longer for Myles given he was rarely a starter and often played out of position. Good luck to him but sad he's ended up dropping two divisions in two years despite being a talented player, as proved at White Hart Lane.

• edited June 2017

Although the drive from the East side of of London is a pain, what sort of hours do footballers do? I thought they finished training about 2pm, so a non-peak hour drive back around the M25 and back home in plenty of time to spend time with the kids.

• @DevC at his age he still has a good few football years left. He is capable of excelling at level 4 and probably level 3. People relocate for work all the time if they are passionate about it. People commute every day for 2 plus hours and do far longer working days than a pro footballer. So yeah lack or ambition. Lack of self belief. Lack of love of the game. Delete as applicable.

• No massive loss if we can get another winger in. If we start next season with only PCH, Freeman and Kashkett as wingers (arguably none of them are really wide players) then it looks quite silly.

• or love of his family, Andy.

many people prioritise them above reaching the absolute top level they could achieve in their careers. Not a lack of ambition, more a decent level of humanity in my eyes. Each to your own though.

• I thought we would have got more out of him this season,never mind we will see who we get next.

• This should now give GA the budget to sign a winger that can create chances for the Beast . It would be great if we could find a young loaned similar to the talent and skills of Fred Onyedinma, that we could develop.

• I'm with Morris_Ital, get on the phone to Sam Wood and get him back in. He only left because Gaz felt he had enough options with Weston and Saunders coming in. If Weston's gone then he's a ready made left footed replacement.

He's only 30 years old, has given us countless excellent performances and is easily good enough to play in League Two.

Even if he's not first choice - personally I'd quite like to see Freeman given the chance - he gives us options all over the field from left back to left wing to central midfield to upfront. And if ever we wanted to go 3 at the back - unlikely as that might seem under Gaz - he'd be absolutely perfect for the left wing back role.

• edited June 2017

As a side note, it's interesting to think of how many wingers have ended their Wycombe career early under Gareth Ainsworth. Myles Weston joins a list that includes Hogan Ephraim, Jason Banton, Max Kretzschmar, Ryan Sellers - while Sam Wood seemed keen to leave by the end, PCH was converted to a striker and Harriman converted back into a full back (having been converted into a right winger by GA in the first place). In fact the only complete success story on the wing under Gareth's management so far has been Fred Onyedinma - and he only stayed half a season.

Given Gareth Ainsworth's career was spent as a right-winger, that seems a little curious to me - and certainly disappointing for the club that developed Matt Philips, Kadeem Harris and Jordon Ibe.

• What does 'ended their Wycombe career early' mean? That at some point they left?

• I don't know the reasons why, but Sam Wood semeed to me to leave the club "under a cloud ". Pretty sure that he would not come back with GA still the manager.

• I've heard it said that managers often fail to successfully recruit for the position they used to play in. I've always thought it a load of old wives tale bollocks but others might be able to extrapolate meaning out of it.

• @lordmelchester said:
    I don't know the reasons why, but Sam Wood semeed to me to leave the club "under a cloud ". Pretty sure that he would not come back with GA still the manager.

Definitely not! Whether true or not, I have no idea but there was a suggestion towards the end of last season that Sam Wood was being omitted from side because one more game would trigger a clause in his contract which would extend it for (at least?) one more season.

@aloysius: Nick Freeman is not an "out-and-out winger". He almost invariably cuts inside well before he is in line with the penalty box and, as @TheatreOfChairs points out, he can play in several left-sided positions.

Talking to a Wimbledon supporting friend yesterday and he surprised me by saying that GA often played in midfield or as an out-and-out striker.

• Loved Weston, moved like a real player, privilege to have been there for the Thomo cross at The Lane - top memory, thanks Myles.

• It's important to see your kids of course, and no-one who regularly drives the M25 can say it's anything but a tedious wretch of a journey, let alone 50miles or so both ways 5 days a week.

But...how long is a working day as a footballer at Wycombe? Surely he'd have plenty of time to see kids and family as it is?
    Not to mention the awkward question, of was it not important to see them a year ago, when there wasn't necessarily a better offer out there?

A cynic would say he's played the sympathy card to be able to effortlessly walk into more money! Not me though, i'm 100% neutral on his departure, and that's not a good sign.

However, now we need to look at another option there, as suddenly, we're a knock to Paris/Bayo/Kashket away from having to make a fair step down in usefulness to Hayes and Southwelll (with all due respect)