Skip to content

Update on Pierre..... No update

2»

Comments

• Mike Williamson was just a level above.
    Taller, with underlooked strength, and good on the ball too.

I'd struggle to rate any of the centre backs we've had in the last 20 years above him personally.

• Given that he was already 25 by the time he moved on and then played in the Premiership, that's not a massive call, Malone. Mawson will probably go on to have an even better career , possibly Hause too, arguably Taylor did, but they all left WWFC at a much younger age before their talent had fully matured.

• Centre back must be the position where we've had the best players in recent times (since, say, 2000).

Luke Oliver doesn't even make the top five!

• None of our players have played in the Premiership, Dev but ooh Terry Evans could've done.

• @micra, not sure if i've missed some sort of in joke there, but how do you define a player as being "ours".
    And Terry surely would have been utterly obliterated in the top flight.

• @micra are you discounting Roger Johnson? He played in the Premiership and I would consider one of ours.

• I think @micra is being pedantic about the name of the top division, and suggesting Terry Evans could have been good at rugby.

• I hope that a Championship chairman makes the decision to take Pierre on a long-term contract, but only after he has signed a deal with us........then we get some money. He can play higher than Wycombe.

• Maybe he could play at a higher level WITH Wycombe.

• edited June 2017

@Right_in_the_Middle Simple really, it's things like carrying the ball out of defence with the ability to draw the opposition midfield &defenders out of position, picking a quality pass, calmness on the ball when under pressure. Those three things alone, for me, need working on. I'm not saying that he doesn't have the potential, but there is a big difference in the quality of players in the Championship to the players in L! & L2.

• ha! Not many England international centre halves can do that!

• Centre back? Let's not forget our record international cap winner 'Ted' Rogers, much under rated, and a great bloke.

• Malone, Andy and Chris: I have only recently learnt that the Premier League is not the Premiership. So I was being a new broom and parading my newly acquired knowledge. Pedantic really. But I also made the error of saying "none of our players have..." instead of "has". (By "our players" I meant any player who has played for us.)

I believe Ooh Terry Evans played rugby but I don't know when or at what level.

My apologies for being tedious, especially to any anyone who really doesn't give a toss.

• No need to say sorry for being tedious, or approximately 50% of Gasroom posts would be apologies!

• Recalling how imperious Pierre was in the two games against Aston Villa a year or two ago, on that form he should (defensively) have been a shoe-in for a championship level club.

I agree that his distribution isn't the best, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for clubs at any level with their centre backs. I actually think his reading of the game is pretty good too, although he can be prone to the odd loss of concentration. I do however think that his form last year wasn't quite up to his previous standards (although that isn't a real criticism - he's still bloody good) and I wonder whether some of his suitors may have cooled a bit.

However, I'm sure when the dust settles and other targets for clubs don't materialise someone will snap him up. I also fear it may be the likes of Luton/Oxford. But it is obvious the club are trying hard to keep him within the restrictions we obviously have so full credit for that.

Oh. and @micra I thought it was witty, clever and well-informed. a rare treat on here

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Maybe he could play at a higher level WITH Wycombe.

Good point its sad how alot of our fans seem to want our best players to leave leaving us weaker and stuck in this league.

• @trevor not sure ALOT of our fans want him to go. I doubt anyone on here does...and to be honest the Gasroom represents...er...no-one except people who come on the Gasroom.

• @trevor I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I want Pierre to leave. However, we are currently a League 2 side. If a player is of a standard good enough to play at a higher level then we should not be seen to stand in their way. If you had the opportunity to move to a higher paid, higher level job with another employer you would not want your current employer blocking it. The difference with football is that there can be transfer fees involved.

• Plus the fact that we don't stand in players' way and have a good track record of developing players for bigger and better things makes us a more attractive proposition to potential signings, so in it's own way it works in our favour too.