Skip to content

Scott Brown in talks with Cheltenham

Reportedly in talks to move back to Whaddon Road permanently, subject to WW getting a fee!

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cheltenham-town-agree-personal-terms-86540

Comments

• Weird - why would we let him discuss terms with them before we've agreed a fee?

Also, I assume we have someone else lined up if we're considering letting him go. Dare I dream it might be Blackman for another year?

• @13arnesy Does seem a bit weird.

"Scotty wants to come and we have reached an agreement with him," Robins chairman Paul Baker said. "But he is still contracted with Wycombe and they are now asking for money, which could be a stumbling block."

The wording of that makes it sound like we agreed to let Cheltenham speak to him, but then came back later on saying we wanted a transfer fee. Pure speculation on my part of course.

• edited June 2017

We of the "rinsed" in many a previous transfer are asking for a fee for a lower league 2 level keeper? My word.

• I read it as Brown and Cheltenham had agreed something off their own backs and then gone back to Wycombe. Seems an odd story to me. I'd assumed he'd be back as our keeper next season.

• Surely we'd only agree to this if we already had someone else already lined up?

• Perhaps he wants to permanently move back to the area. No point keeping an unhappy player.

• The article says he is based in Wolverhampton, so not particularly local to either Wycombe or Cheltenham.

• Hmmn. Cheltenham's an hour closer, according to Google, so might have some appeal.

• Yea clearly Cheltenham is way closer to home than Wycombe.

Must have been hard work doing that drive to Wycombe every day, unless he was able to rent somewhere down here in the week?!

• Can't really blame him as unless he'd been told categorically that he'd be first choice he must feel that we'd probably try any get a similar loan keeper in to start next season.

Good to see that we are going for a fee for a contracted player - although I agree with @Jonny_King that the timing is weird.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Good luck to him though. He was unlucky here with us

• I agree that we should ask for a fee. Even if it is only enough to buy some more balls.

• I think Cheltenham are confused we are owned by a supporters trust not a charitable trust

• Sam Slocombe who was supposedly a target last year has been released by Blackpool.

• He must also be a cricketer as I see from Wikipedia that he made over 130 for Blackpool. He will be 29 tomorrow so he is 6 years older than Jamal and (please note @Malone) 6" shorter.

• Did his mother work for Grace Brothers?

• @mooneyman said:
    Did his mother work for Grace Brothers?

She had a very nice pussy

• Don't impugn his mother, please.

• I'm pretty sure it. was his grandmother.

• This bit stands out: "They realised they had a very good goalkeeper and no other keepers available so they will keep him."

• IF true and not part of the negotiating process, suggests we had another GK lined up (Blackman? Ingram?) but that has now fallen through, so we will stick with Brown, presumably as a better bet than other loan options. I am slightly disappointed tbh.

• Im happy id like to see Brown have a proper chance from all the reports and the little ive seen of him he looks a very solid keeper. I still however think we need a back up keeper we need competition for places.

• I hope Brown still wants to be here after all this. He could be more than forgiven for thinking he wasn't wanted.

• We should have let him leave if he wants to stay with Cheltenham. Pointless keeping an unhappy player particularly one with no likely sell on value. Good keeper but there are others around.

• Maybe he is not that unhappy? Cheltenham may have been his preference but it doesn't mean he wont get his head down and do as well as he can at Wycombe. He did sign here only a year ago voluntarily remember!!

• This is the wording that really stands out for me:
    "became Cheltenham-ified".
    Will he now have to go through a programme of now being "Wycombised" & will it take longer as he will have to be "de -Cheltenham-ified" first?

• I think you'll find that being Cheltenhamified is very different from being Cheltenhamised or Wycombised. .Scott is a great guy and will be just fine.

• That's a very interesting turn of events!

Unless we've descended into pure amateur behaviour, that does suggest our first choice keeper has fallen through.

• Another possibility, @Malone , is that Johnson is spinning the story slightly, to cover up a possible 'jumping of the gun' on their part?

• Personally I'm pleased if he stays and gets a chance to cement his place in the team - he was damn unlucky last season but handled it with great professionalism. From the one co-commentary I heard on Player he sounds pretty grounded with a nice line in self-deprecating humour. A good person to have in the squad.

It does however suggest this summer could get even more boring when it comes to transfer speculation. If Pierre ends up signing too we could just have a few squad filler players coming in. Thin gruel indeed.