Skip to content

Bit of Checktrade Trophy news

13»

Comments

• @FredWestWycombe said:
    I totally agree DevC . Football fans are all thick as shit (myself included), there's no way any of us have any bright ideas or talents worth sharing with racing car drivers, local construction magnates and peanut salesmen.
    If they can't be bothered to go to sparingly publicised meetings because of spurious reasons like, work, looking after children and/or partners, or having a social life outside of the football club, then they probably weren't worth listening to anyway.
    We probably should let the grown ups get on with things, eh son.

Interesting and nicely ironic burst from a slightly disturbingly named recently arrived contributor. Hope to hear from you again Fred.
    PS Yes I do realise your username is also ironic. Well, I hope so.

• So, two thirds of clubs voted to maintain the current set-up. Guess the lure of a few quid swayed it. I'd be interested to know how Plymouth voted, given the grief some of their fans were giving us on Twitter the other day for being honest enough to publicly back the inclusion of academy teams. http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/checkatrade-trophy-gets-backing-from-league-one-and-league-two-clubs-3714083.aspx.

• Money will always win the day. More football in deserted stadiums. No interest from supporters groups who apparently support this competition ?

• @micra
    PS Yes I do realise your username is also ironic. Well, I hope so.

I'm not ashamed of my name, though I did keep asking my mother why she couldn't have called me Mark instead.

• @FredWestWycombe said:
    I'm not ashamed of my name, though I did keep asking my mother why she couldn't have called me Mark instead.

I actually misunderstood! I had assumed that you were from West Wycombe. You really are Fred West. My pathetic little quip misfired. Apologies.

• edited May 2017

@FredWestWycombe, are you saying your name is actually Fred West?

Otherwise, you can obviously see why @micra said what he said!

• Not sure if people saw this summary from the Council meeting, apologies if already posted as I've been away for a few days.

The WWFC Fans’ Council would like to share a summary of the minutes of the meeting held with around 25 supporters and the Trust Board on Thursday 27th April 2017, where the main agenda item was the options the EFL had asked clubs to decide on for the Checkatrade Trophy 2017/2018. The full EFL article from April 2017 is still available here: http://www.efl.com/…/efl-statement-checkatrade-trophy-36702…#

The Trust Board wanted supporters’ input and opinion on what Option the Club should go back to the EFL with. Trevor Stroud, Trust Board Chairman at the time, now Club Chairman presented the following to supporters:

BACKGROUND:

• The EFL Checkatrade Trophy was brought in to replace the Johnstone Paint Trophy
    • There was a prize pot of £1.9m spread over the various rounds
    • WWFC won more than £130k in prize money by reaching the semi-finals
    • Ticket pricing was flexible, with a minimum set by the EFL. If a loss was incurred on a match, the EFL would make this up
    • Gareth Ainsworth liked the competition as it allowed him to play the new signings and younger players on the fringe of the matchday squads early in the season
    • The EFL have stated the Premier League ‘B’ Teams and hence a new League 3 is not on the agenda – in order for this to ever happen it would take 95% of the 92 Football League teams to be in favour

The EFL allowed clubs to vote on only three options:
    1. Run the competition in a revised version of the current format including 16 invited teams
    2. Revert to a 48-team knockout for League One and Two Clubs only
    3. Remove the competition from the fixture list

OPTION 1:

• Continue with group and knockout stages
    • Regionalisation up until at least the quarter finals – up for debate – as could be last 8, or North/South semi-finals – depending upon feedback from Clubs
    • More flexibility on match dates – to allow more Premier U23 teams to enter
    • Would still be only 1 U23 team per Group
    • This could potentially mean interest from Chelsea and Man City
    • Goalkeepers to no longer count towards full strength quota
    • Only four qualifying outfield players need be named on team-sheets
    • Most significantly, a 50% increase in prize money, to £2.9m
    • Option 1 is Gareth Ainsworth’s favoured option of the three

OPTION 2:

• Revert to 48 team knockout, exclusive to Leagues 1 and 2
    • Straight knockout – out in the first round no prize money
    • Groups give three chances of prize money
    • Checkatrade would not sponsor the competition in this format – a new one would need to be found

OPTION 3:

• Remove the competition from the Calendar
    • Realistically, is any Club going to vote for this Option?

SUPPORTERS’ and TRUST BOARD DISCUSSION

• Early Group matches – not much backing from fans, attendances small – however not a lot different to last season’s JPT attendance
    • It is hoped fans get behind the competition more next season – the Manager supports it and the format and prize-money mean much needed revenue for the Club
    • Ticket pricing could be balanced to encourages families

CONCLUSIONS & RECCOMMENDATION

• Of the three Options made available to Clubs by the EFL, the majority of those supporters present felt that Option 1 was the better option – least worst in reality!
    • Some supporters felt that the potential for more Premier League U23s to enter, but still with a limit of 1 per group, meant that many of our younger fans might want to attend
    • The preference was for Regionalisation for as long as possible, and that the EFL reconsider what it defines as ‘north’ and ‘south’
    • Trevor thanked everyone for their input, and confirmed that he would take the recommendation of Option 1 from those supporters who attended back to the Trust Board meeting
    • Having taken into consideration the views of the footballing management team, the supporters, the Trust Board, and with the three options put before them, the Club have voted in favour of maintaining the current format of the EFL Trophy for a further two years.

LATEST UPDATE – Fri 12th May 2017

• League One and League Two clubs have overwhelmingly supported proposals to allow the continued involvement of 16 invited sides in the Checkatrade Trophy
    • 66.6% of Clubs who voted, did so for Option One
    • As a result, the format – with some key amendments – will be retained for the next two seasons
    • Full WWFC article here: http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/…/checkatrade-trophy-gets…

NEXT FANS COUNCIL MEETING
    Want to join the debate?
    The next Fans Council Meeting will take place on Thurs 25th May, at 7.30pm in Monty’s.
    Agenda items to include:

• Continued discussion on Checkatrade following EFL announcement Fri 12th May
    • Feedback on Pop-Up Festival at last match of season

https://twitter.com/wwfcfancouncil
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/216804932038995/
    https://chairboytalk.wordpress.com/fans-council/

• Thanks for the summary @DJWYC14.

• Thanks @DJWYC14.

Given that 95% of football club boards would vote to rename themselves 'Chelsea 2' for a pile of cash, the assurances from the EFL aren't particularly assuring, but the extra clarity is appreciated.

• @floyd said:
    Thanks DJWYC14.

Given that 95% of football club boards would vote to rename themselves 'Chelsea 2' for a pile of cash, the assurances from the EFL aren't particularly assuring, but the extra clarity is appreciated.

Really?

• @floyd do you really believe that?

• Key point DJ, is surely that if club "boards" wanted to vote that way, they could do so regardless of what situation in Checkatrade trophy is.

Just to clarify, though, are you sure it is 95%, I thought it was 75% majority. And really 92 clubs who vote or just the 72 in the Football League.

• Sadly @DJWYC14 so do I. They might not actively change a name but in all other aspects I think they would jump at it.

• We changed our ground name not too long ago for a fairly small amount of cash, so it's not out of the question is it!

• edited May 2017

If Wycombe votes to rename itself Luton Town 2...I will not come, so I hope the powers that be take that into account.

• @DJWYC14 and @micra I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but i think the principle stands.

• @DJWYC14 where was that summary published? Cheers

• Why should we except it. Illiterate dictator.

• At Chelsea maybe, but at West Ham there should be a decent chance of the youth at least getting a look in.