Skip to content

Bit of Checktrade Trophy news

Seems like clubs have already voted on the future of the FLT, phoning them in rather than meeting centrally to vote.

So far Oxford have told us they voted for a return to the 48 team, no B-team format, and Notts County have told us they voted for the competition to stay as it was last year.

I wonder what @AlanCecil can tell us?

Comments

• I assume we are waiting to gauge opinion from supporters and Trust members before voting so the club has all the information with which to make a decision.

• Wasn't there a fans council about it a couple of weeks ago? I'm assuming clubs all had to vote at the same time, but maybe not.

• I assume if the vote goes to exclude B teams the prize money will be drastically reduced.

• Confirmed on Twitter - we voted in favour of maintaining the B Team format used this season.

• How did the Fans Council meeting alter the club's thinking on this? What was it before & what was it after?

• Shameful. Did this reflect the mood at the fans council?

• For context, so far Chesterfield, Oxford, Walsall, Blackpool and Bristol Rovers voted to just involve L1 and L2 teams whereas Notts County and Oldham have joined us in putting money over integrity.

• This is disgraceful.

• Im in agreement with @floyd & @bill_stickers on this one, not happy.

• @bill_stickers - Like you I don't like it, but with no sugar daddy we unfortunately have to have a pragmatic financial approach. If not, we can't realistically compete in this league.

• Indeed, Mooney. it is a lot easier to maintain a perceived principled stand when you are not the one desperately trying to balance the books. Easy money, only downside a couple of meaningless games.

• Worked very well for us in money terms, but contributed to a massive slump as the games built up later on.

• You really come alive during the close season eh Dev?

• No idea what you are talking about Eric. Boring.

• @Malone - Not sure it was solely that which caused the slump, bearing in mind half the team playing were only squad players. It was really the FA Cup games which killed us.

• Does anyone know how many deans formed this fans council consultation? Are there any minutes published to their meetings?
    I think more would go to future meetings if they were published better. The Trust gave described attendance as disappointing. Seems to have sound impact but seems a bit secret society to me

• edited May 2017

@eric_plant , yes, very vociferous recently.

• Can anyone from the Fans Council explain a bit more?

I see they have 65 followers on Twitter so maybe some of them post on here.

• I didn't make this meeting but understand that when the voting options and facts/ figures were presented to those that attended, it was unanimously agreed that this was how the club should vote.

I'll endeavour to get some more detailed info and share if possible.

• All fans were invited to the Fans Council meeting to discuss this but few chose to turn up.
    Those present did push for an extra round of regionalised games after the group stages making TWO such rounds in all against the EFL's proposal of just one regionalised round.

The club's finances did very well out of the Checkatrade Trophy this season with unbudgeted prize money part of which was invested in additions to the squad.

Having B teams in the League remains off the table.

• @StrongestTeam - Agreed, but it means we are better off financially than Conferance teams and potentially getting the same rewards as Div 1 teams. At the end of the day if you are successful in the competition (as we relatively were this season) it is a considerable financial advantage. However if you treat the competitions like the Lutons of this world you get fined so are worse off.

If the under 23 teams aren't included we would still have to play the games but get peanuts.

• edited May 2017

Given the fixture pile up caused by our 'success' in this competition was at least partly to blame for our slump in the early part of this year, is it worth asking whether we'd have made more money making the play-offs and going straight out of FLT.

I know what I'd have preferred.

@AlanCecil Shouldn't there be some sort of quorum for these events if they're going to decide club policy?

• M3GM3G
    edited May 2017

94.5% of Notts county fans said no but they said yes!

Clubs don't give two shits about supporters views. They would rather play in front of an empty stadium and pocket the cash in a pointless competition. I am telling you now with the likes of Charlton, Blackpool, Blackburn, Leyton Orient, Coventry all having massive ownership issues its time these governing bodies were given a vote of no confidence. Vet owners, abolish agent fees, have wage capping in all divisions. Come on, the game is being driven out of the supporters hands.

Wycombe you have really let me down on this one.

This all ties in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39857490

When will Shaun Harvey explain this one

• How the hell is this club even allowed to be considered from promotion to the football league?

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/forest-green-rovers-made-losses-of-nearly-2-5-million-in-2015-16/story-30107550-detail/story.html

• Another Rushden & Diamonds is my prediction.

• Slightly surprising that those teams voting against the status quo are choosing t go back to how it was before rather than binning it?

• @floyd The Football Club decides on club policy but invited the fans to express their views on this subject via the Fans Council.
    There were only 3 options put on the table by the EFL:
    1. To continue with existing format but to suggest some amendments (which is what was done)
    2. To revert to a straight knockout competition (asper the JPT) - which Checkatrade would not sponsor
    3. To scrap the competition altogether

• Hi @AlanCecil
    You have said above few choose to turn up to the Fan Council meetings. How many people have been to the last couple of meetings and do you think that more might turn up if you actually published agendas and minutes to those meetings so people could make an informed decision as to whether it is something of value.
    At the moment it sounds like an unwelcoming secret society to me but think it could be of real value with the correct diligence and communication.

• The LDV Thingy meeting was publicised by email (if you are a trust member) and on the trust website and no doubt by twitter and facebook for those who have nothing better to do. What else do you suggest they do?

Frankly do you really feel so strongly about one vote about one tournament to want to give up a couple of hours of your time. Evidently the majority concluded no.

• Is there any possibility of holding the Fans Council meetings on a match day or providing remote access via teleconference/webconference in order to allow more people to take part? I would make an effort to attend these sessions if I lived locally to High Wycombe, but I am not going to make the 200+ mile round-trip from my home just for one of these.