Skip to content

Match Report: Cambridge

2»

Comments

• @micra said:
    You won't change Sido or "coach out" the idiosyncrasies. He's too old, stubborn and eccentric for that. For that reason, GA may be reluctant to regard him as first and foremost a central defender next season. But with Harriman seemingly a fixture at right back, Sido may well spend a lot of time on the bench and that would be a shame (as it was for quite some time recently) because he is such a great crowd pleaser.

Absolutely. I'm always happy to see Sido playing as he brings some much needed entertainment. As long as we are happy with having to put our heads in our hands as often as in the air when he's there I'm all for it. (And there is not a hope in hell that Ainsworth would trust him there as a permanent fixture - especially as Hayes is unlikely to be around as much to shout at him to go back and defend)

(If that comes across as critical is Sido I've worded it badly -

• edited May 2017

I don't understand how people who go to Wycombe games every​ week for years and years can't see the difference between bad form/fitness and lack of ability. I missed the Pompey game admittedly, but I've not seen a single positive from WDH.

He'd have to come back a completely changed player or he's not worth a spot as 4th choice.

Muller needs to come back half a yard quicker (fitter), and I'm hopeful of that actually happening.

• I'm very surprised at some of the negativity ascribed to Sido's play. He has been a revelation at CB, compared to his often impetuous play at RB. For sure, he plays tight on his man, but he has been turned very little. He may have missed a challenge for the Morecambe goal - he made a couple of mistakes in the second half on Saturday too - but he has made countless well-timed and high quality tackles in high pressure situations in the past few games at CB and been up there for MOTM in every game.

He pulls wide and looks for the ball when Blackman has it, which, since he is capable of delivering better quality than Pierre and Stewart, has given us an extra dimension that has helped our play significantly. I have noticed he is often wide defensively, but it has not seemed to affect our shape nor to be anything outside the desired pattern of play. He controlled the big Cambridge CF on Saturday completely.

@Right_in_the_Middle Your one-eyed antagonism, especially your belittling of the younger supporters of the club, is becoming quite tiresome. I don't know where you watch games from, but I stand on the terraces and find the younger fans to be supportive and good-natured in a way that is absent from many of your posts.

• Garreth, give us a wave!

• @HCBlue Couldn't agree more. Sido stepped up and did a great job. If only we'd played him there a bit earlier.

• @HCblue I don't think we are too far apart with our view on Sido as a centre back. It just seems to me he has alot more credit in the bank compared to our younger centre backs who have been pilloried by some for similar mistakes than you acknowledge Sido has made.

Not sure how I'm supposed to know which posters are younger, supportive and good natured terrace dwellers. I will though stand up to posters of any age or standing/sitting that slag of younger Wycombe players above and beyond what I see as reasonable. @Malone (again no idea if he is old or young) said yesterday that he doesn't slag of WDH at games but does it online instead. I disagree with that stance. @clifty04 attacks on Blackman were awful on social media and I disagreed as strongly as I could.

I think you can probably work out where I sit from my forum nickname. I guess that means I see games differently but not less passionately.

By the way are you guessing how old I am to gauge if these other posters are younger or older?

• @Right_in_the_Middle Forgive me: I slightly conflated two points. The reference to the younger fans was intended to reference your use of "drones" as a pejorative catch-all for younger, more vocal, fans rather than to describe your attitude towards some posters - like you, I don't know how old they are.

Malone said nothing about caring to slag off WDH online rather than live, nor did he do so. The worst he has said in this thread is that he thinks he is unlikely to make it in League 2. Nothing he has said has suggested he wished him ill, nor has he expressed the desire that we be rid of WDH, or Muller.

On the whole, I've found comments here to be largely supportive of Muller, with many noting and appreciating his desire to play football, even if we are unsure if he has quite got enough to succeed at this level. WDH has received adverse comment for a lack of footballing ability but, again, I've not especially noticed any vendetta. It's just that, in this current conversation, @Malone seems to feel, as do I, that Sido is a much better player at CB than either of those two, at least at the moment, and is likely to remain so next season. Saying so is not unreasonable, even if you disagree. It's your characterisation of Malone's comments and your earlier reference to "drones", in the most dismissive context imaginable, that seem off and appear antagonistic.

• edited May 2017

Is saying someone clearly isn't up to league 2 standard "slagging" someone off? Again, using over emotive terms to try and drive an argument.

If saying someone isn't up to league 2 is "slagging" someone off, then, i guess every single one of us has been guilty of it at some point in the past.

You have to give players a chance, but how long before you say perhaps it isn't going to happen? I'd say a season is a decent shot.

Southwell i'd say is slightly different, as although i can't pretend he's even vaguely impressed me in anything but work ethic, he clearly played a lot of his games with a limiting niggly injury, and very rarely in a system that suits his style

Freeman i think looks very tidy on the ball, always looking to play an intelligent pass with good movement. Whether we can make that fit in our set up is all to be seen.

Muller for me gets a bit more time to prove himself, bearing in mind he spent about 7months injured. Gets caught out position wise a fair bit, but has some decent raw material.

• Posts simply reflect the writers opinions on players and mostly have some reasoning behind them, excepting the ridiculous pilloring of Blackman by @clifty04.

• @mooneyman said:
    Posts simply reflect the writers opinions on players and mostly have some reasoning behind them, excepting the ridiculous pilloring of Blackman by clifty04.

Criticism was pretty warranted at the time (how it's dished out is a different matter), he was making a mistake a game for a period that was directly costing us points, and it was doubly frustrating as everyone knew he was a good keeper, but was just badly out of form.

Quite simply of Blackman didn't have that dip in form we'd be in the play offs, but equally if he was that consistent he'd never have been out on loan to us, as he's usually much better than our level.

• @HCblue Not sure I've ever pinned an age on the term 'drones'. That seems to have come from you. Fortunately my season ticket means I don't have to be amongst them and I ration my away games and where I watch them from based on a desire not to be anywhere near them.
    I do though know a couple of terrace dwellers that I'd class as 'drones' but not call them young.

All the rest is down to perception. I consider some of the comments on this thread as slagging off. You don't. End of really. Won't stop me questioning them though.

• @Right_in_the_Middle By all means question. But if you acknowledge the possibility of differences of perception, perhaps be a little slower to presume the intent behind comments.

• @Username - I'd warrant Blackman saved us far more points over the course of the season than he ever cost us.

• Absolutely

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Username - I'd warrant Blackman saved us far more points over the course of the season than he ever cost us.

I'd agree, maybe not at that point in the season though, he finished strongly.

And the fact he's so obviously extremely talented made it even more frustrating as you knew he definitely could do better and wasn't just incapable.

I hope by some miracle we do get him again, his goalkeeping ability is far above league two standard, and his concentration, consistency and confidence are only going to keep improving the more games he plays.

• It'd be incredible if he came back on loan again with the rumours of his wage!

Either Chelsea would want him to get a better level of football if they think he can properly make it, or if they decide he won't, and have boobed over the wage and length of his deal, they'd want shot of him to anyone paying either cash, or a decent wage contribution.

We're neither option.