Skip to content

Lg2 Next Season

2»

Comments

• Darlington?

• Correct - M3g - the only one in successive seasons - 89/90 and 90/91.

Surprising perhaps that two of the four sadly went bust in later seasons.

One more to find.

• Darlo were very good the year they played us in the conf (late 80s), so My final stab is that they maintained that run of form and went up again the following year. If not, I'm all out of guesses.

• pipped to the post sadly Leeds.

• Burton are one aren't they?

• damn - late again....

• Burton Albion?

• Indeed final one were indeed Burton Albion - few years apart this one 08/09 and 14/15.

Strangely forgettable club somehow given their remarkable ascent.

To plagiarise Porky Pie (appropriately according to my dear partner) , err that's all folks.

• My pride at finding two answers is only tempered by regret that now i have nothing keeping me from returning to work!

• All I can offer to this historical statistical conundrum @DevC is that it was Porky PIG

• Burton?

• Just to summarise results then
    1) Darlington won the conference in 89/90 and followed it up by winning lg2 the following season. Appears they got ahead of themselves and finished bottom the following season . Never troubled Lg1 again before dropping out of the league in 2010 and died shortly after.
    2) Rushden won the conference in 2001 and lg2 two years later. Too much for them too and they went down the following year too and continued their fall into oblivion shortly after.
    3) Yeovil won the conference in 2003 and Lg2 in 2005. They consolidated in lg1 before an impressive promotion to the championship eight years later possibly overstretched them precipitating a rapid return to lg2.
    4) Burton won the conference in 2009 and lg2 in 2015 and then were the most successful of all by reaching championship the following season and staying up this year. Still somehow eminently forgettable as a football club though.

Finally I note a contribution while I type this from Mooney"hislop"man only 12 minutes after Burton were got (!) and I have only one thing to say to Wendoverman - oink.

Over and out.

• edited May 2017

Burton Albion, I think. (Edit) Sorry @mooneyman I missed your post.

• I think I missed this whole page somehow. I'll go back to sleep...

• @Cyclops - I was asleep!

• Cheers for the quiz Dev.

• Can I go now, please?

• Is one of them actually Lincoln themselves? I think they were the first team ever down to the conference when Scarborough came up in the late 1980s. I think they bounced back the next year, so that would give them a lot of years to win the fourth tier title.

• Darlington is another that comes to mind, as I know they bounced back up quickly back in the day too.