Skip to content

Lg2 Next Season

edited May 2017 in Football

Assuming we are still there.

With Pompey, Plymouth and Donny promoted and lets say Luton, who otherwise would be strong favourites think, go up through the playoffs, its very hard to see a favourite for promotion. There are "big" teams in Blackpool, Coventry and Swindon but all have big issues that may hold them back. It could be very open.

Early prediction for top three

Notts Co, Lincoln, Blackpool.

Comments

• It's going to be tougher financially next year for the club, with lower away gates and longer away trips.

However, I'd say we have our best chance of automatic promotion since we came down, if we recruit well in the summer.

I'm not sure Lincoln will do so well. A lot of people fancied Luton when they came up, and also Grimsby, but neither pulled up too many trees in their first season back. It's a huge ask.

Notts County seem to be on the up so I'd fancy them to be Champions next year. Coventry are a bit of an enigma, and I don't know much about Chesterfield, Vale or Swindon but they aren't really on the same level as the likes of Pompey & Plymouth when it comes to resources are they?

• Dont forget the likes of Tranmere as well who I suspect will win the Play off.

• Longer away trips not necessarily. (with allowances for fairly dodgy geography)

Lincoln replace Hartlepool - shorter
    Dagenham replace Orient - sameish
    Swindon replace Portsmouth - sameish
    Coventry replace Plymouth - Shorter
    Chesterfield replace Doncaster - sameish
    Port Vale replace Carlisle - shorter

Will lose one or two bigger away attendances though, that is true.

Tranmere and/or forest green may do well if they get promoted too - M3G - indeed you could probably make a case for a dozen teams or more.

• I think Lincoln will walk our league next season if they can keep playing squad and management team together

• Lincoln champions, also promoted Cambridge, Blackpool and Mansfield. Would have said Coventry, but I think the parasites will screw them even more next season.

• Next year is surely our year. It is, after all, year four of the five-year plan. And year four means promotion.

Taking the tongue out of my cheek and already flirting with ridiculous pre-season optimism for a moment; we have the nucleus of an extremely good League Two squad with us next year. Next season O'Nien needs to kick on and reach his potential; Gape needs to show more consistency; Saunders needs to be accommodated in role that fits his enormous skill-set. Kashket needs to be kept fit; a consistent strike partner needs to be found for him (feasibly PCH; maybe Southwell) to allow Akinfenwa to become a super-sub. At least four of our five key defenders need to be kept together and Muller needs to step up a gear and prove to us he has the quality Ainsworth and Hayes see in him. Then it's just the goalkeeper position that truly needs sorting. If we can get that, and a few supporting additions here and there, we should expect to be in the hunt for promotion from the off.

Then it's just a case of - for the first time under Gareth Ainsworth - not falling away from February onwards. Maybe that's part of the year four of the five-year plan too. Fingers crossed!

• I'd love to see the side built around Sam Saunders. He is clearly our most creative player

• As always you can argue it either way. Lets balance by putting the pessimists case

GK - probably can only afford one and rely on emergency loan if injured, may be Brown - a competent but probably no more Lg2 keeper or an untried loanee youngster
    Defence - Jacobsen, Harriman and Stewart with Sido in there somewhere provide a strong nucleus. Jury out on two back ups WDH and muller. LB cover an issue
    Midfield - Gape, O'Nien and Saunders provide a strong central three, with Bloomers a competent back up. Will need one more cover (who may or may not be Rowe)
    Attack - possible problem area. Akinfenwa will surely start first choice (although that implies hoofball as primary tactic) but can he at his age have as good a season again. Talent, age or injury black clouds over each of PCH, Weston, Kashket, hayes and Southwell but salary limitations may not leave a lot of room for quality additions in this area. Unlikely I suspect to see Freeman (or Francis) here next season.

Management: First rate - consistent record of over-performing against budget - but will he still be here?

Defence clearly weaker without Blackman and Pierre. Full season from Gape and Saunders could be an improvement in midfield. Up front the concern.

With Ainsworth as manager, and given a bit of luck with injuries, could challenge again for playoffs although 10thish my best guess. Without Ainsworth more of a challenge I suspect. Having said that, If we get lucky with a couple of loanees, who knows.......... Joy of a league without big clubs should be its unpredictability.

• A lot of faith shown in Lincoln. Any reason for this? Do they have vast resources? Otherwise it's an ask to think they're going to go up a division and blitz it surely?

Notts County haven't been any great shakes for a long time either.

It'll be interesting as always though

• Surely we will beat Luton on the way to Promotion?
    How long did it take Pompey to get out of League Two?
    I think most teams will be on a level playing field next year...all possibly struggling with attendances. Lincoln will have a bounce to stay up but another promotion might be a step too far. I suppose Chesterfield, Port Vale and Swindon might be the most likely to be in the running from the start, not sure about Blackpool as they may peter out if they don't get up this year if their falling support/protests continue to bite. I think County and Coventry will continue to struggle. I'm confident we will be in the mix again.

• I'll be shocked if Lincoln don't go up again next year. I'll be shocked if any of the relegated clubs do.

• Lincoln are were debt free in January so will have money from the cup run to spend. They are also talking to people about fresh investment. I am sure they will be in the mix at the end of next season. They also have a very good away following.

• We don't have to go too far back for the last team coming up from the conference to go straight up. Our pitch invading, legal clause friends down the M4.

Any stats hounds remember the last time a team came up from the conference and went up as champs from our division?

• Carlisle?

• Those who have posted here for a while will know this is the sort of challenge I rather enjoy.

So with a bit of research, I can reveal that according to my reckoning only three teams have ever won the conference and later won lg2 (or its predecessors) and only one has ever done it in successive seasons.

Anyone who can guess the three teams without looking it up is a football knowledge god ( I looked it up). Challenge open with a bit of honesty required.

Carlisle have never won the conference, Chris - they came second.

• I'll try Fleetwood, Yeovil and Crawley, more in hope than expectation.

• edited May 2017

Little hope , Jonny - 1 out of 3.

Yeovil in 02/03 and 04/05

• I'm throwing Doncaster in the mix... Although they may just get thrown straight back out again!

• Crawley?

• Winning the Conference and then winning L2 is a tough one. I'll plumb for Rushden and Diamonds, and Stevenage as two of them, If Crawley and Fleetwood are wrong i'm really struggling, but i'm sure i'm forgetting someone obvious.

• No to Doncaster (didn't win conference) or crawley (didn't win Lg2).

On checking data, I find I missed another one several years apart - make that four.

• My memory is appalling these days, I remember Luton's ridiculous 30 point deduction and relegation, and them storming straight back up (i think)

But did they win it after that? (not immediately as per Dev's confirmation on no back to back titles)

From other memories of conference promotees, i can't recall any of us, Col U, Macc, Newport, Dag N Red, Carlisle, Hereford (?) winning league 2

• Rushden is a good spot - yes in 2001 and 2003.

Stevenage didn't win Lg2.

Two more to find, including the one in successive seasons.

• Any stats hounds remember the last time a team came up from the conference and went up as champs from our division?

The answer to the original question is Carlisle in 2005-06 though, isn't it?

• And if that's wrong, here's a wild stab at 3 more - Rushden "Dynamos", Dagenham & Redbridge, Barnet.

• @Chris , from my wording, that's right, but from what i meant (successively) then just the 1 Dev mentions (although i firstly misread his post as being no team had done it!)

• Oops, just seen Floyd has already got there with Rushden, while I had my thinking cap on...

• Rushden as above yes, no to Dagenham and Barnet, neither of whom have won lg2.

You are right chris, I asked a slightly different question to the original which you answered correctly.

• Did Lincoln do it the first year of up & down

• Just to summarise then (and apologies for the confusion)

There are four teams that have won the conference and subsequently Lg2 (included other names for both leagues). Only one has done it in successive seasons.

We have identified Rushden and Yeovil (neither in successive seasons) - two to go.

No Blue - no lg 2 win.