Skip to content

The Opposition View - Plymouth

2»

Comments

• @HCblue I agree...but I have noticed that we are getting caught out because teams are taking free kicks quickly as our players tend to be standing about moaning at the ref about decisions.

• Occasionally we get caught out, I agree, cf. last twenty minutes at Spurs. There were a handful of late ones on Tuesday that one might put down to being caught out of position due to tiredness. But the ones that get me are when someone goes into the back of an opponent 25 metres outside our own box when the opponent has his back to goal and there is no meaningful pressure. It turns an unthreatening situation into the number one way of scoring in League Two as well as creating a shift in momentum, especially if the team does it two or three times in quick succession. This seemed to me to be part of the reason why the game turned in the second half on Tuesday. Plymouth didn't seem to me to be doing anything remarkable, though they certainly improved on their lame first-half showing, but we gifted them possession and field position (yes, I'm a rugby man at heart) with some dumb fouls. Surely, some cost-benefit considerations of what to do in different scenarios must enter the minds of professional players and managers when they train and talk during the week...