Skip to content

The Opposition View - Plymouth

Comments

• This from Dreadful Derek: 'We have had a very tough schedule. Wycombe have had it easier than us and haven't played the same number of games Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday."

He obviously hasn't been paying attention. I'd love them to balls it up again but given how far ahead they are, I'll settle for ignominious relegation next season with Adams sacked at Christmas.

• Also, good to see "anti football" and "tinpot" register on the cliché bingo.

• Surely the comments about ball boys are ironic considering what they have been doing at their place.

• The poor petals have been played 6 games Sat/Tue and have played 46 games 16 since start of year
    We went from 21 Jan to 4 Mar (13 games) - and played 49, 19 since start of year

• Adams is a cunt

• How does that kind of comment get left on this site? I hope the moderators will remove it soon.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    How does that kind of comment get left on this site? I hope the moderators will remove it soon.

Why? Adams is a cunt. Can't have that word being used all the time, but this is exactly when it should be used.

• Only morons use language like that. It is way beyond abusive and whilst I totally agree with the sentiment and the execution of the abuse doesn't actually lift you out of the same category as Adams. Sorry but I find it extremely offensive

• edited March 2017

'We have had a very tough schedule. Wycombe have had it easier than us and haven't played the same number of games Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday."

You can only laugh at being so embarrassingly wrong!
    Yeah, we only had about 8 weeks in a ROW with Tuesday games, most of them away

• I would like to think they will bottle it as usual and we, having surged into the play-offs with a late run of wins, will beat them over two dispiriting legs in the play-off semis.

• I absolutely loath Plymouth the manager, the team, the fans , their colours, their pitch. Everything about them is just loathsome

• It is strange how this mutual loathing has come about. When we played them in the play-offs there didn't seem to be any such antagonism. Their fans seemed to accept we played them off the park twice and were pretty sporting even in defeat. Does it all come from Derek Adams? The game when Lynch was stretchered off and Adams refused to shake Ainsworth's hand (or vice versa) seems to have been the start of it, but now it feels like we're long-term rivals. Or have I missed earlier incidents?

• Surely it came from the playoffs.

I remember their fans absolutely spewing as they left our ground. Diving, cheating, Hayes running the game etc.

• Hayes did run the game both nights - he was imperious. Oh, see what you mean...

I don't remember so much bitterness from them, though. Most of their fans seemed to take defeat pretty well. Certainly not to the levels we see now.

• I don't remember the two play off games being that bitter. Didn't it start when Adams complained about the use of the GPS tracker things at the start of the next season?

• We won several games in a row at Plymouth which didn't go down with the natives especially as they see themselves as a "big club" who should be walking over clubs like us.

Real trigger was the 1-0 "Lynch-Richardson" game where I genuinely didn't see the same game that the locals did. The reaction to that game was extraordinary, more extreme than any I have ever seen. It was a bit like the mass hysteria after Princess Diana died. I think the aftermath played a major part in their subsequent collapse out of the playoff places.

Then this season the shambolic administration on Boxing Day, and crass comments from the manager (as usual) have just hyped it all even more.

Majority of the supporters are decent enough, but they do have a fair share of utter knobheads.

Plymouth have always been my least favourite of the three Devon clubs, the feeling of entitlement and the slight edge of hostility at Home Park have always put me off a bit, but tbh while I don't usually have a visceral hatred of any rival club, currently I do for Argyle.

Looks like with the exception of the odd LDV game, our paths are likely to go separate ways after this season. No doubt that will have the effect of gradually taking the sting out of the rivalry, as an extended period of not meeting did to the Colchester one.

• Useful clarification Dev of the background to the strength of feeling that has developed over recent seasons.

• genuinely funny the comments start quite reasonably then someone throws a switch and it's one muppet after the other "meep meep meep"

• I remember Sheridan and Deano standing toe to toe on the touch line at their place a few seasons back.

• Have no feeling either way about Plymouth whatsoever

• I think their comments about our players feigning injury were valid. It is happening all too often for my liking. In addition,when we were under pressure in the second half we resorted to numerous fouls,hence the cautions tally. Presumably GA approves.

• 17 fouls to Plymouth's 9 I think I read. It goes without saying of course that those figures reflect the extreme bias of the referee! 103 yellows so far this season - that's us, not the ref! My only non- jesting gripe is the fact that very often refs give free kicks to the opposition when defenders are climbing over Bayo before falling off because they haven't got a strong enough grip on his shirt or indeed his person.

• Probably a third to a half of those fouls on Tuesday involved a Plymouth player falling forward having felt contact from a Wycombe player behind them. Whether that contact was sufficient to make it impossible for the Plymouth player to stand up I don't know, but in some cases not.

Wycombe players are themselves, of course, also very capable of feeling contact and going down. Strangely, though, despite the fact that it happens in every game, they don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that they need to be a bit wiser and not rush up to or into the backs of their opponents if they do not want to give the referee a chance to award a free kick against them.

I do think that Wycombe's high number of recorded fouls is not entirely down to deliberate fouling and is at least partly due to a lack of thought when in close quarters with the opposition. Sido in particular, as evidenced by his dismay at the penalty decision at Crewe, seems not to grasp the fact that, if your defensive tactic is to grab and hold your opponent from behind when he has the ball, there is a strong chance that he will lose his footing and that the referee will blow for a foul.

• There was a lot of wrestling to be sure and every time I see Luke hurtling desperately towards someone I have to brace myself for a card!

• @Wendoverman said:
    There was a lot of wrestling to be sure and every time I see Luke hurtling desperately towards someone I have to brace myself for a card!

Or worse, yet another injury.
    Anyone know if Nick Freeman is a free man?

• he was warming up before the match with Thommo on Tuesday @micra

• No probs. Nothing like arriving early to an almost empty stadium to watch players who will not figure running up and down.

• Don't know what their respective states of fitness are, but Thompson had the edge in pace when they were doing sprints. Can't imagine that to be a good omen, whatever the reason for it.

• Re the foul tally: I agree with Uncle_T that it's about time the players wised up to the fact that if you go into the back of a player with/ competing for the ball, the ref is going to give a free kick. The arm-raising and complaining is getting a bit tired for my tastes: professionals need to adjust their approach, do they not? And it's not like we are fighting to hold our feet when the positions are reversed.

That said, I saw no evidence of (by the wretched standards of professional football) diving or feigning injury on Tuesday. Beany clearly took a knock in the second half, as did Luke (I think) earlier in the game. Neither milked it, moaned or gestured at the ref nor writhed to a notable degree and both were back on their feet in what I thought on the night was a commendably short time.

Nor were we dirty in our play. Just a bit dim in our judgement of when and how to challenge. JJ seems to be becoming a master of giving away pointless free kicks midway into our half.