Skip to content

Blackpool and Plymouth - two very important games

Blackpool looked very good last night. I feel we need to have Pierre and Stewart back for these two games. Muller has done pretty well but we have looked as though we can leak goals with him and DeHaviland playing together. Against these two sides we don't want to be giving them an early gift and then chasing the game.
If we can get all six points we will be right back in the hunt for the play-offs. Thoughts?

Comments

• I'm not sure Pierre and Stewart will be back.
    They are important games but so are the nine others we have.
    Seven wins out of 11 almost certainly makes the play-offs. And that's very doable given seven of our remaining games are at home.

• If Pierre and Stewart are fully fit, they will play.

If they are not, they will not and we have to play the next best choices.

Not sure there is much more to say.

• Did you see the Plymouth Blackpool game last night @Blue_since_1990 ?

Would be interested to know if Blackpool have the stereotypical big target man that I think Muller and De Hav can deal with or a more mobile strike force that they might struggle a bit more with.

Personally I think our midfield is more of an issue than our defence. A fully operational Dom Gape would be a big bonus.

• The con census seems to be that Gape as been ill, whatever the reality his form prior to being dropped has been really poor. If one or two others in the squad had made the same mistakes they would have been castigated on here and fbook.
    When we have a confident midfield dominating oppositions we are promotion contenders, so Gape, O'Nein and Saunders need to be on their A game in the run in, plus Blooms and even Beano to chip in as and when required.

• @DevC I'm really not sure it's that black and white. There are varying levels of fitness. If either Pierre or Stewart are at 90% fitness (for example), I'd fully expect them to be playing some part, and most likely starting. We pay GA (and his coaching staff) to assess such risks and take what they believe to be the correct action.

• My understanding is we won't see Anthony Stewart again this season. Hope I'm wrong though.

• That is terrible news for the promotion campaign if true. Do you know what the injury is?

• He injured himself defending Jamal Blackman against the recent abuse he's received.

• I've heard he was on crutches with his knee in some sort of brace at the last home game. Believed to be ligament damage.
    Don't take this as set in stone though..... he'll probably line up on Saturday now.

• I've heard covers a multitude of sins doesn't it?!

• That will be a big blow if correct. I do agree that our other games are as equally important but should we win our next two, then it will be a massive boost to the squad and overall confidence.

• Miller and De Havilland are settling in well and remember that we beat Millwall 3-1 at the New Den with them in tandem. Jombati has performed well there in the past but it would be another pairing with no previous experience on which to develop an understanding. The same of course would apply to the combination of Pierre (who I believe is close to fitness) and either WDH or Müller. Isn't Müller good at corners by the way?

• If Pierre is fit I'd probably go for him wit WDH. They have more minutes together.

• @bill_stickers said:
    If Pierre is fit I'd probably go for him wit WDH. They have more minutes together.

You can't be serious?

If Pierre is fit it has to be him and Muller. Pierre and WDH would be ultimate hoof ball.

• Very good Micra - especially Banana with chocolate sprinkles !!

• Haven't once thought WDH is anywhere near up to it, whereas i'm still open on Muller who I believe has a much higher ceiling.

I'd definitely go Muller and Pierre.
    After all, we waited half a season for Muller, so there must be something quality about him. Otherwise we could have signed any old 4th choice for buttons.

• I'm not convinced with WDH yet, sometimes I like what I see, others I think he looks poor.
    Not seen anything wrong with Muller yet, and will always be learning the English game.
    I'd go for Muller & Pierre if Pierre returns, as as @Username mentions, WDH and Pierre would be total hoof ball. Muller looks like he can play a bit, and puts some accuracy on his balls forward.

• Muller tries to pass it out of defence. He got caught a few times at Exeter when he was looking for a pass only to find absolutely nothing available. When he came on for the second half at the soulless arena in Essex, as a precaution against the possibility of WDH getting sent off (yellow card and a warning already given by bloody Kettle), I thought he was very good. So - Pierre and Muller for me, too.

• @Cyclops I noticed that at Exeter too. Muller also got caught a couple of times trying to dribble out of defence, which made me wonder if he was trying a a bit too hard to impress. Still, nice to see he at least has the intent to be a ball-playing centre halve, even if he does have to refine his art a bit. I think he will definitely come good with games.

• Interesting comments. Persuasive too. The point about Müller's ball-playing potential is key for me. I've only seen highlights but he does occasionally dwell a little too long on the ball looking to make a pass and getting caught in possession but that may be the result of midfielders not expecting to get a pass (!) and therefore not making themselves available. It is possibly also a lack of sharpness on his part after such a long layoff.

• @micra Without wishing to rely too heavily on cultural stereotypes, I do wonder if his being German has something to do with it as well. The English game is known for being much faster than on the continent and he may be taking a while to adjust to this.

I've watched a few games in Germany, mostly Bundesliga but a couple of regional games as well and the style of play is noticeably slower and more methodical, with players getting much more time on the ball.

He's definitely technically able, I just hope we don't ruin him and turn him into another lower league clogger.

• Ainsworth had to tell Blackman not to play it short to Muller at Grimsby after Muller lost the ball and nearly gave away a goal trying to be a little to clever with a short pass. When it comes off it looks good, but when it doesn't it gifts the opposition a chance.

If I had to pick one of WDH and Muller it would be WDH, based on his performance at Crewe. But it probably depends on the type of attackers we are facing.

• Muller hasn't been fully Wycombised yet!

• @chris if only he'd told him to hoof it as far as he could at white Hart lane we might be in the fa cup quarter finals this weekend

• If WDH has shown himself to be a superior defender there'd at least be some argument to play him, but Muller has shown me more in that area too. Won more headers in the first five minutes of the second half at Colchester than WDH had in the whole first half.

• Muller and Pierre every time. It's the closest we'll get to recreating the Matson-Pierre partnership, though the defensive midfielder does need to be expecting a pass from Muller. Only if it's Bean playing that role would I advocate a WDH start ahead of Max...

• @Username said:

How do you work that one out?

• Muller will soon learn that the centre back approach here is 2 touches maximum.

Control it.
    Knock it.

Often cutting out step 1.

• Mildly interesting that Max's USP does seem to be that he does like to play the ball out of defence and for that GA - advocate of anti-football apparently - was prepared for him to sit on the sidelines for half a season.

I know that far too often we do opt to hoof it forward but I do genuinely believe that isn't really GAs preferred option. Sadly I do think the gamesmanship is - but that's another argument

• I don't think many managers in the Football League aim to play hoofball. Sometimes it is necessary though when your centre backs have poor distribution.

We played our best football when we had Alfie Mawson bringing the ball out and I'm sure Ainsowrth recognised that.