Skip to content

The Opposition View - Accrington

Comments

• Yes, we have addressed having a small budget by signing fewer players. This means we are disproportionately impacted by injuries and suspensions, and will mean we finish lower in the League than if we had better reserve options.

• Is it your time of the month righty? You are coming across as rather abrasive. Not unreasonable to ask if you can quote/back up an accusation of lies surely? Not trying to be a poo stirrer by the way.

• @Right_in_the_Middle clearly you have some kind of hard on for him in the way you always bite at him, or back at him through every post he ever puts on here. It's almost as tiresome as many of his posts themselves.

Maybe you would like to give me some examples of his lies?

• @EwanHoosaami I'm fine thanks. Just get a bit frustrated by the bully boy abuse and sometimes I just like to play.

@Chris It's all about opinion isn't it. I'd argue signing Hayes, Thommo, Bean, Bloomers, Bayo etc. Are choices to pack quality and experience in a squad. That isn't cheap but is a choice. Seems a few have made my lies comment in to something massive. Probably a post Brexit/Trump reaction but I didn't say it meaning it was a £350m NHS on a bus lie but a carefully constructive narrative based on something I don't think is actually true.

• Just talking about this "small squad".

On Tuesday, we had 17 players in the matchday squad.
    Stewart, Pierre, Kashket, Hayes and Saunders injured, with Brown, Southwell and Rowe off on loan.

That's 25 players.
    Is that really that small a squad for league 2?

• Can I suggest that Dev and Righty book a couple of sessions with Relate!

• No, it isn't Malone. 26 with Weston of course. Injury situation is probably no worse in numerical terms than at most other League 2 clubs but three of those currently unavailable are pretty important. Stewart and Pierre are rarely injured but Kashket of course has a history of ill-timed injuries. I feel very sorry for him in that respect and obviously also for selfish reasons. I hope his ongoing problem can be successfully resolved and that, in the event that he is unable to play again this season, he will return fully fit in July.

• edited March 2017

Well remembered @micra. I always omit Weston!
    Easily done probably, bearing in mind he's surely played less than 8 full games, if that!

It'd be pretty worrying if Kashket is already out for the next 3months, having been out a month or so already!

• I think it is a small squad compared to other teams, but I can't be bothered doing the research. Probably worth excluding Richardson.

Most other teams have no trouble filling the bench every week, don't they? We've been better in that regard of late but it's still not a rare occurrence.

• Presumably it's just that other clubs have some semblance of a youth team they can dip into if their similar sized first team squad has a rocky patch.

I can't believe many league 2 teams carry more than 26 first team squad members.
    Although you can argue a couple of loanees wouldn't be needed if we hadn't loaned out others, but the point remains with say, 24.

• On the "managerial drivel" front, I think I can remember some incomprehensible ramblings by Colin Murphy in the Lincoln City programme when we played them at Sincil Bank (1988 was it?) which I had some difficulty in understanding (a bit like @micra's recent weather report). Before anyone says anything I'll own up to being in a position of "pot and kettle", etc...

• I've never written a weather report on here but I did attempt to explain the difficulty of forecasting the timing, location and intensity of precipitation in particular circumstances.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I too am beginning to tire of his 'Little Wycombe' rhetoric. But I guess I have a different definition in mind when I think about the word 'lie' (also, 40+ post-match interviews this season might be a factor in my thinking it's all a bit repetitive)

• Nice backtrack righty. But you clearly suggested GA lies in interviews. Which is pretty much the same as saying he's dishonest to the press.

Being selective in what information he gives to the press (injury return dates etc) is no were near lying.

I would fully you track your statement as being utterly false, unless you can point to an actual lie.

• @TheDancingYak Little too familiar aren't you? I've given an example of what I consider to be a lie told time after time. Just because you don't think it's a lie doesn't make my statement false because in my opinion it is.
    Interesting no-one seems to be too bothered about the drivel aspect of the comment. Isn't anyone bothered that our manager treats the fans as people he can just palm off with cliches and nonsense.

• I think one of the problems with post match interviews is, in the main, there are only 3 outcomes to discuss. Win, draw or lose and managers at our level will have circa 50 interviews to give. Not surprising then that their comments are filled with clichés. Rarely, due to FL rules, can they say what they are really thinking as they risk financial penalties and further sanctions by the powers that be. So there can be little variations from the template sadly.

• Most managers talk drivel. If the team loses and plays badly, few if any managers nowadays will publicly criticise players as it does little to help team morale, so they spout clichés, blame the ref, the pitch or injuries. The bollocking goes on in the privacy of the dressing room or training ground. If we lose but are unlucky, that's another cliché to spout. If we win, of course the manager is pleased for the players and fans, another cliché. There's basically bugger all to say unless the manager is a wisecracking character or flamboyant philosopher type.

It's not just football managers either - read most popstar, filmstar or even politican interviews and they're packed with inane drivel. If anyone goes off-record they tend to get hammered on Twitter or wherever.

• It's boring but it's probably the correct thing for managers to do. Better that than a Tony Adams criticising individuals or a Jim Gannon using the media to air his personal grievances with Sky.

• There was an interesting debate on this subject on the radio this week with Freddie Flintoff. He said he totally understood the bland nature of manager and player comments to the media as everytime he said something off script he either got flack from the media, the fans or his own team. He says even now he knows the England player put up to press wil discuss team spirits if they win and positives to take if they lose.

The thing is they would be so easy to just ignore if the media wasn't set up to spend so much time discussing them. Don't Sky Sports News have whole hours and managers new conferences during the week?

• "Ainsworth the worst manager we have ever had for giving drivel and lies to the press. His secretive cliche driven nonsense infuriates me."

has in less than 24 hours apparently morphed into an acceptance that all managers are basically forced to say nothing of substance in media interviews. Well we got there in the end.

your choice of media , whatever form you prefer, has an off button. If you find manager interviews dull, (and in my view you are right to) just turn them off and don't listen. Simples.

Which leaves your lying comment, for which you have provided no evidence apart from "its my opinion so there". hmmm.

• Yeh. Game, set and match you. Well done @DevC
    If I think Ainsworth is lying about the first team budget then my comment stands. You can disagree but disecting someone elses opinions is a bit feeble isn't it?

My off button has a special 'F'' tipexed on it for moments like this.

• Its a personal choice Righty, but before I publically accused anyone of lying, I would want to ensure I had some facts to back that accusation up. Each to their own though.

Dissecting each others opinions on an internet chat board? shocking behaviour.

• Fuck me, this is a barrel of laughs isn't it?

• "Surely all football manager press conferences are best ignored?"

You've written about 10,000 words on the subject since you came out with that!!!!

• Dead right Eric but to be fair most of those words had nothing to do with that comment.

Todays statement is 'Surely all @DevC's posts are best ignored'. I think I've got two good life lessons now.

• When people get some irritated by manager's soundbites, i'd ask the question, why bother watching/listening? You know they'll never tell the real story, and are too professional/scared to say the wrong thing.

I'd be massively surprised if we are cynically "hiding" the full extent of our wage bill by masking it in unfair comparisons, such as versus the whole playing staffs of other clubs, rather than just the first team squad, and suchlike fiddles.
    Although we have a small handful of players on decent money, we also have a lot of players on absolute buttons who we subsidise by providing the player's house on peppercorn rent.
    That's before you start wheeling out the mental wages some of the top earners in our league are supposed to be on. 5/6K a week players at Luton, Simpson at Orient at on stage on double that.

• Indeed. Not many managers go on the air and say we are a big club and I'm glad we won that game/pissed off we lost that game considering the bloody money that shower are on. If only the fans knew I was using the FA cup money to get my bathroom tiled...

• My Gaz bingo for tomorrow, if anyone wants to join in... "You know me, I'm always positive", "we go again", "we pride ourselves on defending set pieces", "little Wycombe", "the squad is stretched but everyone here can do a job", "never get to high during the highs or too low during the lows", "poor call from the ref, but he's got a difficult job, you know", "we have no points target this year", "so proud of the lads today", "we're difficult to play against"...

• Might just ask Gaz about Brexit, pies and Jeremy Corbyn post match today.

• Well said @bluntphil! Encompasses the thread nicely;-)