Skip to content

Match day thread: Tottenham

Comments

• It was lovely to see Hayes, Thompson and Akinfenwa use their experience to such good effect today. Jacobson and Jombati were both immense against some of the best wingers playing in Britain in Sissoko and Son. Dier was totally outclassed by Gape and O'Nien, who make such a formidable defensive midfield partnership. It was a shame we didn't see more of Kashket but he's the sort of player Premiership defenders know how to handle - he'll be back to banging them in in the league soon though.

Stewart and Pierre (mostly) showed great composure against Son first half and Janssen second half. Wood was at his lively best and justified his inclusion ahead of Saunders. Blackman pulled off a wonderful save at the end, though he should have stopped their first. All in all, a wonderful performance. Now we get to concentrate on the two competitions that really matter - promotion and at least one Wembley final.

• On the train home now. Packed with Wycombe. Nothing but pride in a superb performance.

• What an incredible game. I think Woody and Stewart both deserve a special mention, though every single player was superb. Weirdly, I bumped into Joe Jacobson on my train home.

• I cannot sum my feelings up in words. So proud of WW today. Injury time was overkill. 7 mins?

• Fantastic performance gutted for the team. Behind me pundit before kick off: Hayes? The name NOONE wants on the team sheet! Then later: Thompson ? Ainsworth just playing his mates again

• Ha, bloke near me was calling for Hayes to be subbed off at half time. After he'd scored two goals.

• unbelievable from everyone Woody was immense and what was great to see was players who maybe haven't been at their best in recent weeks in the league were phenomenal Hayes thommo Weston our 3rd was a brilliant counter attack goal hopefully that'll give Weston the confidence to go on and show his best form in the second half of the season and be like a new signing

• Also what train is jj on I'd love a picture! And where did the 6 mins of stoppage time come from utter lunacy

• A long cup run would have been an injury-inviting distration from our priority: promotion, promotion, promotion.

So the result was for the best. Or so I keep having to tell myself after an electrifying, astounding, roller-coaster of an afternoon - with its cruel ending.

But the game will be remembered for as long as there's a Wycombe Wanderers. Like everyone else, so proud of the team. Few others if any will put three past Spurs this season.

Now we dust ourselves down and move on

• Absolute quality, I was in the Spurs end and some THFC random said it was the best away performance he'd seen at WHL this season. Spurs supporters clapping our team off says a lot.

• @PBo said:
    Absolute quality, I was in the Spurs end and some THFC random said it was the best away performance he'd seen at WHL this season. Spurs supporters clapping our team off says a lot.

WW deserve all the accolades they get from that game.

• @na104 He was on the Overground, off to visit a mate apparently. Had a brief chat, he was a lovely fella.

• @HomeGameRegular that is EXACTLY how I feel

• Truly a team to be proud of. Now to get to Wembley at least once this year. Perhaps some Gasroomers will also note that our Goal Scorers were Hayes and Thompson. A wonderful day out for all fans Well done to Gareth and his Squad.

• Can't believe we have been undone by 'fergie time' so proud though.

• What else could I add. A simply brilliant performance that took the world wide audience by surprise. Everyone expecting a L2 side to park the bus, not dare come out of their own half & hope to nick something from a set piece. Well that 1st half they tore into Spurs on the break repeatedly. The Spurs defence just couldn't live with Bayo in Beast Mode. I have watched WWFC in all the so called big games against the Premiership big boys. This was the 1st time that we didn't play like underdogs and had a go. This should give the whole squad a massive injection of confidence that they can live with the likes of Pompey, Luton etc for the rest of the season. I believe that GA is really going to earn his corn trying to re-energise the team for an away match at Exeter on Tuesday. Trying to get that performance level in front of a sub 2K crowd on a cold damp Devon night is a tough ask. Given Exeter are on a fantastic run themselves, I would take a point now.
    As others have already stated, very proud to be a Chairboy as ever, but especially today/this evening . Take a bow Gareth and the squad, enjoy a day off, enjoy the moment & restart Monday as there is 2 massive games coming up in the next week.

• Well I have to own up that I was disappointed to see Hayes start but how wrong can you be. No wonder I am bottom of the fantasy football league.
    Hayes and the rest of the lads were brilliant. So proud of everyone and our support was brilliant. What a club!!! I for one will be going to the Coventry game to cheer the lads on to Wembley. I know the competition has its issues but these lads deserve our support.
    DevC - you missed a cracker!!!

• I'm not one to get emotive over football but I really felt for ainsworth when he came over to the fans. He doesn't deserve to be a nearly man all his career. Hopefully we go up this year.

• Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Hayes was also terrific at Villa Park and seems to really relish the big stage. Let's hope this perks him up for the remainder of the season as he can be a class act and we'll need him.

Overall though my MOTM was Sam Wood who was absolutely inspirational, however he was run close by pretty much every other player.

What an afternoon!

• Ditto on Woody. A superb MOTM performance. Great to see him back at his best recently.

• Woody was simply brilliant today ....

• BTW, TTID you are a true gent and genuine football fan. I hope Spurs go on to win the cup for you mate.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    BTW, TTID you are a true gent and genuine football fan. I hope Spurs go on to win the cup for you mate.

Thank you. Good Luck to WW for the rest of the season. You deserve it.

• When Hayes hit the bar in the first minute, who could have imagined what went on to follow!
    We set the tone with that first chance, and were well worth our lead!

Just a shame we conceded those 2 goals so close together. How that first one ended up in the net from that angle I don't know. And Pierre learnt a bit of a lesson, that you might be able to do those sort of blocks in the lower leagues, but not against wily premier players.

To go 3-2 up was against literally everyone's wildest hopes though! But to not hold on from there will be one of those long time regrets.

Can't remember the exact run for their third goal, but I think I remember a debatable free kick in the build up. Either way it seemed too easy for Alli, who also had a teammate handy if he'd needed.

That last goal though... don't think it was even going in before JJs desperate clearance.

Killer blow.
    Not quite of the pens in the play off final, or Col U missed promotion season pre league, but still a burner.

• Yes on the subject of true gents it was great to see so many Spurs fans standing up and applauding Bayo off the pitch when he came off.

People love to see a big man play his heart out and present a real physical challenge to the two centre-halves, who'd probably never seen his like before.

Great to hear that his contracts being extended, hope his injury isn't too bad.

• Surely in the world of 'glorious defeats' for the team this is now number one? My previous vote was for the League Cup defeat to West Brom back in 2000 but this far outstrips that.

• @Malone I think Blackman kicked it straight to him for the 3rd goal - hence the time/space.

But what a game. Such a strange feeling at the end. Overwhelming disappointment/overwhelming pride. (Bit like Middlesbrough 40 odd years ago - but more so - and probably a few more since that don't come quite so regularly to mind).

I blame the synchronised bootlace tying after our 3rd goal for most of the injury time - though I did enjoy it at the time.

@EwanHoosaami if GA can lift the team to get a result at Exeter I think he would seriously be challenging St Martin. If we think how bad we feel it must be far worse for the players

• That ref was a complete tosser second half. Wycombe you did us proud just hope more fans turn up now for normal league games.

• Oh and @TTID can I echo Blue's comments. I've much appreciated your time/advice/banter on your brief appearance on our forum. And - I can't believe I'm saying this - I hope you go on to win it too

• @bookertease said:
    Oh and TTID can I echo Blue's comments. I've much appreciated your time/advice/banter on your brief appearance on our forum. And - I can't believe I'm saying this - I hope you go on to win it too

Thank you mate.