Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• On a side note. Huge number of police at the game today. I left the ground quite late and heard a number of Luton fans shouting "Wycombe, where are ya?" Surrounded by a riot van and 3 horses. Did have a little chuckle to myself.

• Give Hayes an orange snood and put on bench duty

• The Hayes problem is that he will find it hard to recover the form in a team that's not suited to how he plays. He likes to drop deep and feed a quicker player, but Bayo is doing that so well at the moment.

I think that Hayes could find his form, paired with Kashket up front by themselves, but that's simply not going to happen, nor should it, with the way the Beast is playing right now.

Regardless though, Hayes has been a great player for us, he's obviously a key part of the squad, and shouldn't be yelled at the second he touches the ball, as so frequently happened today, by the terrace.

• I was told that Bayo was meant to be the "Plan B", to come on late in games and change them.

Instead, he's by far exceeded that meagre role, to by far become the only option for that role. And unfortunately Hayes isn't someone to come on and impact games.

He can still do a job, but I dare say it'll be via midweekers when Bayo needs to rest

• I agree - this is an excellent summary of the situation by @Malone - things change, give him an orange snood and we can move on

• @Malone
    No problem with your opinion on Hayes but I think some are suffering from selective memory and merging a few dips in form around injuries together whilst leaving out the games or months he's done a decent job. He wouldn't be in my front three with all fit but he will have a say in a few games before the season is out.

Dodging around to another part of this thread I though Scott Cuthbert was the best player on the pitch today. Handled our attackers well until Kashket came on and scored with one of few Luton chances. Luton will be up there if he stays on the pitch for them.

• And that's fine @Malone - my problem is, he's clearly a key force behind the scenes, and fans owe him more than a derisory yell. When he is picked to play, shouting when he gets something wrong, isn't going to help the situation.

• Cuthbert had Akinfenwa in his pocket for nearly all of the game, they marked one in front and one behind and nullified him until they went down to 10 men.

• I don't think there's any problem with Hayes, he's just a bit off form at the moment. It happens to all players! He was doing really well playing up from with Bayo & Kashket in November/early December until he was injured. As I've said before, 5 goals and 5 assists is a pretty decent return for a player who's been in and out of the team. It's worth noting that our most prolific spell of goalscoring form this season came with him in the team. Writing him off as "past it" after a few sub standard performance is a bit disrespectful of a player who's done so well for us.

• Agree and Bayo scored the first clear cut chance he had

• He is also a leader of men. You can certainly tell when he's on the pitch.

• Also, just seen the highlights. Pierre's defending for the goal is terrible. Sloths have moved faster to keep up with a set piece

• Look at pch reaction when they score.......seems to have a bad attitude atm

• I would have Hayes as target man from the bench coming on to replace the beast. Have to agree that cuthbert was excellent today. Also that Paris seems to be off the boil at the moment and his falling over and sitting there waving at the ref as play continued was embarrassing. A bit of attitude problem? I was desperate for us to score as hylton not content with feigning injury after injury then taunted our fans from the bench. He tried to get Pierre a second yellow when it had actually been jj that had touched just before his roll. I would not welcome him to ap bayo is a credit to our team what sort of example is that masked buffoon? To be fair Luton were the better team today which makes the acting and Jones defence of it more embarrassing. Very pleased to get that point. Saunders, kashket gape and Luke were excellent in that last period. Hope we don't get that shower in the playoffs. Time for me to lie down

• Hayes is unfairly criticised. I agree that he no longer offers what he did a few years ago. But he does have some ability with the ball at the feet. The trouble is he no longer has the pace of power to get around the pitch as well and subsequently gets a lot of flak simply for being a player at the end of their career, which is hardly his fault.

As for Hylton, he is a shameless cheat. But then very few players these days don't try to gain an advantage through the odd shirtpull, dive or some other for of unsporting behaviour. Hylton is constantly at it and behaves like a bit of a shit as well, which makes him easy to dislike. He is a real handful though. Good movement and although he isn't the biggest physical presence, he uses his body well to make life difficult for defenders. I think any league 2 manager would sign him given the chance.

Overall 1-1 was a fair score. Although Kashkett was desperately unlucky not to score the winner. I thought both teams looked confident and well organised. I expect both to be in the mix come the end of the season.

Paris put in a strange performance, as he did against Yeovil.

The ref actually did OK in a hard game the manage.

• I hate to say this as I think PCH should remain but his current attitude reminds me of the time he was mouthing off to his Dad in the Vere Suite about Gas wanting him to track back just before he went to Millwall

• *Gaz ............God i hate autocorrect

• Paris attitude seems to suck

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    *Gaz ............God i hate autocorrect

Yeah, it's a pain. Deletes all punctuation.

• @Malone - in ageeement with pretty well everything you've said in this thread! Remarkable.

• The Hayes selection is a conundrum that from the fans viewpoint is an easy one. Life isn't always that simple & we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I was mystified by his selection yesterday. Not because of his current form but never felt we had enough pace upfront with Bayo as well. Personally I would have chosen Weston up there, who also has pace. Hayes, from my experience is a thoroughly decent bloke & no doubt has the respect of the majority of the squad, which can go a long way. Given Ainsworths' record with us, we should respect his decision, however it was evident that after 15 or so minutes it was a struggle. Most of the group I sit with were in agreement that the game was screaming out for Kashket & Saunders. It did happen & no doubt that it changed the game. Mullins got caught out by the sheer speed of Kashket and the sending off was decided by the lino not the ref for a 2 footed tackle. I hope Hayes returns to form but it's going to be difficult for him with the squad no assembled to show it on a match day in the near future?

• Regarding the ref. Fan power got to him big time. He was making all the right calls first half, hylton shoved Jacobsen in the back three times whilst attacking the goal and the ref called them as fouls. Correctly. However, On every occasion the Luton fans moaned and whinged and then gave him a load of grief as they walked off for half time. Second half, the first incident down in the corner where the Luton fans are, a Wycombe player is fouled when trying to see the ball out. No free kick, and they score from the resulting corner. Then he bottles the clear swing of the arm on Jacobsen. Luton fans should be thanking that ref, he got them out of jail big time or they would be walking away from Adams park with 9 men and zero points.

• I have also noticed PCH's attitude problem and it seems to be impacting his game at the moment. With his loan period up on the 31st, he may well have played his last game at Adams Park yesterday. GA has a big decision to make with him, because when he is up for it he is a very good player at this level.

• He'd be very disappointed not to stay and may already have at least an inkling that he won't have his loan extended or be offered a contract.

• He's a great player at this level. I'd be amazed if we weren't doing everything we could to keep him, at the very least on an extended loan

• He will be a Wycombe player come end of Jan. Bit of poor form but he's a quality player and a match winner.

• Agree with the last 2 comments. It seems to come so easy to some people to bash a player as soon as he hits a patch of poor form. Rather than remembering what a good player they have, and can still be - it's seems easier just to label them as past it (Hayes, Thompson, Wood, Bloomfield), unfit or overweight (Wood, Hayes), having a bad attitude (PCH, Pierre), etc... Why can't it just be that they're our of form - all players suffer from it occasionally. God help Scotty Kashket when he goes through a dry spell - it seems he really is a confidence player, so if the drones ever got on his back...

I don't think I've ever seen mention of PCH having an attitude problem until the last couple of days, and now he's almost being put in the same bracket as Dean Morgan. Granted yesterday he was moaning too much at the ref early on, but I've always seen him as a player that fits right into the Ainsworth mould - hard-working, tracks back, quick getting forward, plays with a smile (usually), etc. And GA obviously thinks so too or he wouldn't be working hard to get him back.

• He's almost certainly going to be staying with us. Maybe yesterday's petulance was over a contract offer that doesn't quite meet his salary requirements? Maybe the signing of Saunders means we've less in the kitty than we had expected and the squeeze is being put on PCH to accept less than he wants? All pure speculation, of course. But a bit of petulance isn't a bad thing - it shows passion and a certain arrogance all good strikers should have. And he clearly wants to stay - maybe too much - I'm not sure what other options PCH has at the moment which is perhaps helping those from WWFC negotiating with him for a new contract.

• When Danny the dive was treated on the field in the 2nd half why didn't the ref tell him to go off the pitch after being treated?. Is there a new law about this?

• The mutual respect between PCH and GA has been manifest from day one. Petulance has not been an obvious trait of Paris's character. Hence my speculation about the possible reason. @aloysius could be nearer the mark.
    I sincerely hope he stays (as I told him at the end of last season on one of his visits to the Woodland Lounge).
    Form is temporary; class permanent.