Skip to content

Match day thread: Newport

13»

Comments

• On reflection a really good game yesterday. Very positive to see Pierre taking responsibility for the goal, this great run of form has been a team effort and you can really see the togetherness.

Sam Wood really earned his goal and man of the match award, and showed there is plenty of competition for places at the moment - a very determined performance in an unfavoured position (his best football for us has been as an ordthodox left winger, not in a central attacking midfield role).

Also recalled a couple of fantastic back to back block tackles from JJ in an advanced left wing position second half just after we scored the first - great commitment and it got the crowd up after subdued atmosphere in the first hour or so

This is presumably the best run of form in our history and the players & management deserve a lot of plaudits.

• Think the best run we had was under Gorman?

• Now you've started something!!.

• Looking back at the highlights, how can between them the ref & the lino not give a penalty for the defender stopping Westons' cross with his hand? So blatant plus you can usually tell from the reaction of the defender. Straight away he spun round & looked as guilty as hell in the direction of the ref. As it happens, it didn't affect the outcome of the points but it's understandable that managers and players become so irate.

• I was also amazed that the ref deemed the studs up challenge that thudded into Gape in the 1st half not even worthy of a free kick. Gape was very lucky it was not his standing leg that was caught.

In fairness I did think the ref coped well with Newport's timewasting and their 'injured' players and also with us after we'd taken the lead. PCH tried that tieing his shoelaces trick after his goal, but was immediately and correctly told to get up by the ref.

• Thought the ref yesterday was pretty decent; it was his linesman on the Beechdean side who didn't have a clue - missed the handball and repeatedly didn't flag for throw-ins until he saw which way the ref had given it.

• Agreed re the ref. All refs err, but I'd rather have a ref who erred on the side of letting play continue, than one who constantly stopped the game.

A thought on the Gape tackle - it's not the first one like that he's copped this season, I know, but if the ref had shown a red card yesterday wouldn't it have been the same story as Mike Dean yesterday? It looked a 50-50 ball to me, and Gape's a player who goes for those in a fully committed way.

• @EwanHoosaami , there might have been a better run of "form" under Gorman, if we're talking performances, but the actual record since we became a league team was the 8 wins in a row under Lambert in 06/07 strangely enough (I'd forgotten it), and now matched by this team.

• Didn't we go on a really good run under Waddock when we got promoted with him?

• We went 21 games unbeaten under (I think) Gorman, or possibly Taylor.

• edited January 2017

@Vincey , not really is the answer to that.
    In the seasons 2008/09 through to end 2012/13, we only put in 1 run of 5 wins in a row, and or 3 4wins in a row.
    Good runs, but nowhere near the excellent run we're on now.

• @Jonny_King , Gorman took us ages into the season before a 2-1 defeat at Bury killed it.
    But we drew soooo many games.
    The quality that team had we should have had a 10-12 point lead.

• Thanks username, we needed someone to try and put a bit of a downer on things...we've been missing some of our more dour posters since we've been winn....hang on a minute.

• Don't understand how it's a downer? If anything it shows we've got the rub of the green as well as playing well atm, can only be positive.

I'm just being honest and not looking at it through blue tinted glasses!

• Unbeaten runs are massively overrated if they contain a lot of draws. This current run is so spectacular because we just keep winning

It's extraordinary. And I personally never saw it coming, which makes it even better

• Worth a look back a few pages on here to the post-Barnet match comments. @eric_plant I don't think anyone on here saw this coming

• Put into the context of that performance it's all the more remarkable. We played like relegation candidates that day

• The Colchester performance was truly dire also. I made the mistake of bringing a friend that day - "the worst I've ever seen them play" was his verdict and I found it hard to disagree.

• Some of us were quite confident that actually being able to field our first choice team would improve us a fair bit.
    But I don't think anyone would have thought it'd be by this much, stumbling across a great formation, beautifully playing to the front 3 strengths.

• Of course delighted with the unbeaten run but I felt that before the cavalry arrived with the triple substitution it was a very average performance. Against a rubbish team we were dragged down to their standard, we just didn't seem to create much through mid field on the ground . Am I alone in thinking O'Nein has hit a flat spot in his development? As for the front line! Perhaps a lone spell at Sunrise Care Home in B'field might help Thompson and Hayes? That said at least Gaz now knows what his best starting line up is.

• Hayes will play if fit, GA has proved that over the time he has been at the club.

• Quite agree with your match assessment @perfidious_albion think I posted similar earlier. Along the lines that until Ainsworth was "forced", (by virtue of how ineffective we were up front & needing to score to get level), that the mood changed both on the field and in the stands.

• I thought we were ok in the 1st half, no more, no less. We upped our game in the 2nd half though, even before the subs were made. The Newport goal forced GA's hand for sure, but I think it was a positive that the front 3 and Blooms were able to get some rest.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Am I alone in thinking O'Nein has hit a flat spot in his development? As for the front line! Perhaps a lone spell at Sunrise Care Home in B'field might help Thompson and Hayes? That said at least Gaz now knows what his best starting line up is.

Re O'Nien, yes I think you are. Spot on with Sunrise Care Home though!

• @bookertease said:
    Worth a look back a few pages on here to the post-Barnet match comments. eric_plant I don't think anyone on here saw this coming

That was the afternoon I gave up on this season. Which makes this all so much more delightful.

• @DevC was pretty strong on the criticism of Ainsworth being unfair at the time.

I tried to get some cash off a chap talking about relegation but @Vincey wasn't having it

• @Wig_and_Pen I took my parents to the Col U game. Probably my dad's first in 5 years. I doubt he'll be back again any time soon.

• @peterparrotface - Proved a wise move! haha

• Hope your mum is less fickle @bill_stickers !