Skip to content

Match day thread: Newport

Comments

• Having been right behind Paris' goal I have to say Bayo had peeled off his man and it looked like he had tried to pick him out but as stated earlier who cares- good result at the end of the day :)

• Really enjoyable game today, we were well on top throughout. Not a great 1st half, but we had enough chances to have been ahead. A very good 2nd half performance, the Newport goal was their only chance of the match and was real mess from our point of view, with Sido, Brown & Pierre all at fault in my view. Yes the subs helped, but we were playing well even before that and fully deserved Wood's classy equaliser. Possibly a brilliant winning goal from PCH and the goalkeeper had been a long way off his line all match, but it could equally have been meant as a cross.

A very good result, and importantly we've rested some vital players ahead of the big game next Saturday.

• Akinfenwa was at the back post, the way he addressed the ball was to put some curl on it, it quite clearly shanked off the top of his foot/ankle.

He didn't celebrate it either and looked pretty sheepish. (Seen one quote that he even admitted he didn't mean it).

Would love it to have been on purpose, but it quite simply wasn't.

• Nah..fully intentional..what was he doing then ?

• I agree with @Username - it looked like PCH was crossing to the back post but fortuitously misdirected it. His lack of celebration could suggest that as well. The Wood goal was fully intentional and fantastic to watch, as was his celebration afterwards. Boy, he wanted that.

I imagine that, with the front three and back four locked down, unless someone's injured or leaves, Wood's best chance of getting back into the team is to stake a claim to the Bloomfield attacking midfielder role, and he did so today with aplomb. Interesting selection choice for GA there ahead.

Finally, O'Nien hasn't been mentioned yet but once again he was fantastic, at his tenacious, harrying best. He's just so good at being in the right place, unsettling the opposition, outmuscling far bigger guys and then getting the ball to another Wycombe player. Such a delight to watch.

• Wood's goal looks even better on the highlights! Great technique

• Newport manager Graham Westley told BBC Radio Wales Sport: "The result was fair. It was a fair reflection of the game. One team went forward with a lot more verve and penetration than the other.

Hells teeth Westley magnanimous.

I am with you Username. PCH was trying to cross the ball. But who gives a s***. 2-0.
    Looking forward to a proper FA Cup match next week.

• Westley has been replaced with 'nice' duplicate.

• Sam Wood superb today. Assume he got MoM?

• At 1-0 that was a very sticky situation which we did well to emerge from with a win.

Newport were terrible and would not have scored had we not gifted it to them.

Weston unlucky to be taken off after a decent game.

Bayo really has become crucial and we looked much better after his introduction. We must either a) invest in some ultra strength cotton wool to wrap him in b) sign a back-up centre forward c) allow some room in the squad to bring in a loanee if Bayo gets injured.

• Think Weston was probably shattered having not played much football @Glenactico but I agree he was decent today.

To be fair I thought Thomo did well when he replaced Bayo for the Orient game. Not so good today though.

Newport worst team I've seen at AP this year.

• Only one of the drone army would start moaning at some of us describing Paris' goal in glowing terms.

Sorry mate. Not enough else to moan about?

• You're confusing disagreeing with "moaning about".

I'm delighted it went in, doesn't mean I have to agree when people mistakenly call it a wonder-goal

• Good match from Sammy..Could quite easily got hatrick.

• @Username - no way unintentional, perfectly placed.

• @Grawlix said:
    Username - no way unintentional, perfectly placed.

Seconded. A thing of pure beauty (as was Sam Wood's).

• I just watched it back, it's hard to tell really, only Paris truly knows.

Bayo was round the back, where a cross would most likely have gone, and the ball did seem to just fly when it left his foot.

Therefore, i'm quite happy with my earlier description of "magic".

If that's ok with Mr username.

• Having seen the highlights I have to say that was intentional from PCH, he played the ball far to long and direct for it to be a misplaced pass. He spotted the keeper off his line and had a pop. Great finish!

• @aloysius - in total agreement re O'Nien, totally bossed it in midfield today. Guile and aggression combined in one package. He leaps like Ronaldo as well.

• Paris himself said it wasn't intentional.... Watching it back you can see he's trying to shape it into akinfenwa and the ball flies off at a different angle, you don't kick a ball like that to chip the keeper.

• Both goals in the Sky Sports News goal of the day vote.

• How great it is that all people can find to bicker about is whether a match winning goal scored from 30+ yards out was intentional or not!
    Wasn't one of the best performances today, although Newport were so poor that it was pretty comfortable until Pierre's gaffe.
    Despite a few moans I heard during the game, and comments I've read online I think the decision to rest the front 3 was justified - it gave the others a runout, and when the cavalry was needed they did the required job. Hopefully it should also mean they will be that touch more fresh on Saturday - which from the club's (financial) point of view is probably the more important game to win.

• I agree, I think it was important to rest a few today ahead of the cup game next week. It was still a good, strong side GA fielded and we really should've been ahead before the Newport goal. But even if it had backfired, I would have accepted that ahead of what is a massive game for the club next Saturday.

• Agree. A few people complaining about resting the front three, but Kashket had a knock and Akinfenwa has played 180 odd minutes in 5 days. Our small squad means they have to be managed with the utmost care and yes, Saturday is the absolute priority.

• Woody had a great game back to his best deserved MOTM

• A reasonable bank holiday crowd of 4,288 at Adams Park today - but beaten by a game in the Southern League South & West Division. 4,406 turned up to watch Hereford FC v Evesham Utd today. Hereford won 2-1.

• So standing behind the goal I was halfway through saying "wtf was that" when it went in.

Watching the highlights, it looked intentional.

2 very good goals this afternoon.

• @A_Worboys said:
    A reasonable bank holiday crowd of 4,288 at Adams Park today - but beaten by a game in the Southern League South & West Division. 4,406 turned up to watch Hereford FC v Evesham Utd today. Hereford won 2-1.

Weren't Hereford getting fairly underwhelming crowds when they were in lg2 (and lg1 for a season as well, I think?) a few years ago?

What's changed? That seems a remarkable crowd.

And what tier is the Southern League South and West!?!

• Bank holiday local derby

• @A_Worboys said:
    A reasonable bank holiday crowd of 4,288 at Adams Park today - but beaten by a game in the Southern League South & West Division. 4,406 turned up to watch Hereford FC v Evesham Utd today. Hereford won 2-1.

A very good attendance today (considering how poorly supported Newport were). Hereford are a phoenix club founded by their fans following the demise of the original club in 2014. Their promotion to the South and West section of the Southern League at the end of last season has no doubt fired great local enthusiasm and a local derby against Evesham is going to attract a lot of fans in the Worcestershire/Herefordshire area. There are no other football clubs of any standing within a reasonable distance, unlike here, so it is no great surprise that they are able to attract a crowd of similar proportions to that of a modest League 2 club. But it's great to see them rising from the ashes and, who knows, they might emulate the achievements of AFC Wimbledon.