Skip to content

Match day thread: Milwall (EFL Trophy)

13»

Comments

• @aloysius I'd say the switch to a 433 with Akinfenwa up top has been the turning point of the season. If you look at when Gaz started this away at Portsmouth, we've been pretty good in every game since then at using his power and strength to hold up play.

I was a huge Akinfenwa-sceptic at the start of the season, fearing another alienating presence like Dean Morgan. Yet, he seems to be the focal point of the whole team, and commits himself professionally and with absolute dedication in the sport.

• @prufrock_91 I was a little concerned when early in his WWFC career he was left out as he was late. Here we go. Here for a bit of retirement cash whilst pedalling his brand for 12 months. Couldn't be further from it. He has bought smiles to the squad and a real threat on the pitch. I am not of the FIFA playing fraternity but those who are seem to love him like a proper celebrity.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub yep it was rather amusing on Weds night to hear the ball boys in the adjacent (empty) stand boasting to each other that they'd thrown Akinfenwa the ball. I'm afraid to report none of their own Millwall players warranted such admiration!

@prufrock_91 three things really impress me about Akinfenwa - his fitness, his flick-ons and his enthusiasm. I know you're a fan of Paul Hayes - what does your gut instinct tell you, play both of them or drop Hayes for a younger model?

• Scott McGleish and Stuart Beavon maybe.

• Power rather than twinkle toes and a seemingly unerring eye for goal - tellingly mainly low, controlled finishes. (Sorry, comparing Scott K with John Akinde.)