Skip to content

Match day thread: Milwall (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• It's not. All in now.

• @Wig_and_Pen you are correct it is a "free Draw" from now on. You learn something
    new every day

• I don't care about the Checkatrade Trophy but it's much nicer to win games than to lose them. Plus the prize money is helpful. Plus plus that some of the squad who are not in the first team at the moment have had a runout. Plus plus plus Müller has finally made it onto the pitch.

All in all, a pretty pleasing night's work

• Agreed. This trophy is an abomination, but let's just take the many positives from tonight.

• I'll be maintaining my boycott of this, though by the sounds of it, it was another excellent performance by the lads. Long may the run continue!
    Any word on how the young Herr Müller did?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    I'll be maintaining my boycott of this, though by the sounds of it, it was another excellent performance by the lads. Long may the run continue!
    Any word on how the young Herr Müller did?

Corners were tasty by all accounts

• edited December 2016

I must say, I've been an Akinfenwa-sceptic all season but the way he came on and changed the game today was remarkable. We were so drab in the first half. Limp, shapeless, just so very beige. Second half we had commitment, attitude, aggression and that was down to us being led superbly by Akinfenwa. Either side of him Wood and Thompson raised their game. He created space for Rowe to power through the middle and come close a couple of times. Then when Kashket came on we were a team transformed. The two of them were born to play with each other. Wonderful flick-ons from Akinfenwa, great pace, awareness and drive from Kashket. Those two will be a handful all season long.

The lack of any noise in the first half showed what Hayes is good at - he was constantly barking instructions and cajoling the players - you could hear him echo round the stadium all half. But that was it. No creativity, no leading from the front, no inspiration. He's not a patch on Akinfenwa for entertainment or raising the game of others. Nor does he seem to have the drive to get forward and force opposition players to concede or make mistakes, as he used to do so well. It's a shame but he really should be competing with Southwell for fifth-choice striker now. On evidence from this season I'd place Kashket, Akinfenwa, PCH and Thompson all ahead of him in the queue.

It was great to see Muller tonight. He reads the game well and looks ferocious when bearing down on a player. He was moving very gingerly though, was very slow at times and stayed on his feet when he could have gone in for the tackle on a few occasions. I assume he was taken off for match fitness reasons. He impressed me tonight - far more so than Pierre who gave away an extremely sloppy penalty, could have been sent off earlier in the move when he was wrenching a player's shirt so very obviously, and missed quite a few balls that he normally wouldn't. Fortunately the referee treated this match like a friendly and kept his cards in his pocket throughout, sensibly. Otherwise Rowe could have gone off as well for a very late challenge.

Blackman's penalty save was epic. Full stretch low to his left. In his technicolour outfit it was quite the sight. God knows how he let the Millwall goal in a few minutes earlier though. A tame cross that just avoided everyone.

All in all though an exceptionally fine second half, which was well worth the fiver alone. Even with our B-team midfield we played very comfortably and with confidence. Roll on the next round.

• I think Muller was replaced by Pierre after about an hour.
    Blackman conceded a strange goal - beaten at the near post by a shot from a fine angle and from some distance; but then made up for it by saving a penalty.
    Good win and more money in the bank.

• I'm not even sure Blackman conceded a shot. I think it may have been an indecisive cross.

• No. But then I can't see much anyway.

• @Cyclops now that was rib tickler!

• Looking at the club Twitter feed this morning, either Muller is a much loved bloke in the dressing room, or the club have issued some kind of 'social media directive'.

Every player has said what a grafter he is, and seem delighted he got a run out.

• It did seem a bit orchestrated but I get the feeling that team spirit at the moment is as good as it's been in years, and everyone is rooting for everyone else. Probably coming to the surface more now that we're on such a fantastic run of results.

• Soften the blow of Pierre or Stewart leaving in January? Or, worst case scenario, Pierre and Stewart leaving...

• or he is a really genuine guy who had crap luck with injury and has been grafting among a small squad of players to get fit.
    Today i announce my glass to be half full.

• Blackpool away in the next round. I can barely contain my excitement.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I feel my tone appeared too cynical in my first post. I definitely believe it's a very strong possibility. It just also felt all a bit orchestrated.

• How on earth did they think that taking regionalisation off this early was a clever idea!

If we're taking 50-75 or so to Millwall, will we even get half of that to Blackpool on a presumably January midweeker?!
    Unless we have a biggre set of northern exiles close by that don't mind this cup!

• At least Millwall was just about do-able after work; who, in all honesty, is going to take a day off to go to Blackpool midweek in January? The prize money has been nice but this stupid competition just got even more pointless.

• The next round looks to be the week commencing 9th Jan.

Am I missing something, that Cheltenham seem to be scheduled to play their SECOND round game v Leicester kids that same week!?

Could they not have scheduled it in the month in between, and not rucked up the next round straight away?

• This certainly isn't a competition of the fans is it. The prize money element is set up to get buy in from the clubs and offset the lack of supporters encouraged to go.

Seems the players and mangement seem switched on for this cup though so does it really matter if the supporters aren't. It may be a vision of football in the future.

• I could understand that if games were being televised but currently the only publicity the trophy is getting is for record low crowds; can't imagine any sponsor would want to be associated with that kind of thing.

• Being switched on to a competition that pays money for winning should be of no surprise to anyone, particularly as the gate money is negligible.

• It was always regionalised until the semis wasn't it?

So to take that out at the 16 team stage is bonkers.

Unless you're an absolute obsessive, are based close by, or have a reason to be in that part of the country at the time, it'll be a truly pathetic attendance.

If Blackpool are still having their anti board protestations, and have a lot of fans with similar views to ours on it, could we be lucky to get 200 in there!?

• Be nice to see us show solidarity and have no fans there whatsoever.

• Well I wont be going I can assure you and I live here!

• No real surprise as professional sportsmen with relatively short careers no matter what their opinion of this particular cups structure they just want to play and win every game, ignoring the cash best thing about it is another credit in the confidence bank of the team

• I think the players may be on a decent win bonuses for the Checkatrade Trophy. I only base this on previous abject efforts in prior years compared to this. Might be totally off the mark.

No problem with that but I do wonder how much of the prize money for each win goes in to the coffers.

The first professional football competition in the UK where supporters are totally irrelevant.

• Just watched the highlights on YouTube. Its extraordinary how much of a problem Bayo causes defences, I think the Chesterfield rag reported that defenders were drawn to him like a moth to a light and thats bang on. Also the Milwall penalty looks like a shocker of a decision. Finally the 3rd goal was about as generous as it gets from Kashket. His confidence must be sky high so no one could object to him shooting but he still had the selflessness to lay it off. Outstanding.
    Still a sh1t contest but hey ho. I told you my glass was half full today.

• In fairness, I thought both penalty shouts were fairly terrible decisions. McGinn gets a shot away and then falls over.