Skip to content

Alfie Mawson

How long till he is playing in the Premier League?

Comments

• judging by recent mistakes quite along time .... he is no mike williamson !

• he'd never played a minute of league football until he made his debut for us this season, what a stupid comment to make. Anyone who knows anything can see he has the potential to play at the very highest level. One of the best I've seen in a Wycombe shirt

• Ah, the dragging down has begun, eh blue? For his age, his character and his performances so far this season Alfie will have a great career and we have been lucky to see the start of it in my opinion, especially if the season ends in celebrations.

• I sometimes wonder if he'll develop into a defensive midfielder rather than a CB. He's so good on the ball and so loves to get forward. I agree we're lucky to have had him, however the season pans out.

• @Wig_and_Pen I agree. I think he is a cracking centre-back like everyone else, but I feel his composure and passing is not being used to it's full potential.

Perhaps he could even the answer to the Scowen conundrum? Sitting in front of a back four of Jacobson, Pierre, Rowe and Jombati?

• I'd take either Rowe or Mawson in mid field (with the other at centre back) over Beano anyday

• intriguing idea Wig...with any luck and L1 football Gazza might be able to swing another season and we can find out...

• Bean wasn't in the game against Accrington. I said to my mate, he must have a bet on Accrington. Pushing Mawson forward slightly would have made a huge impact on that game.

• Mawson/Pierre telepathic CB combination. Do not disturb! Rowe sitting in front of them sounds a good shout.

• As we have struggled since Josh went...and Rowe was looking decent last season and did okay against Luton that is worth a try, Micra. I assume Gaz is thinking that 'experience' is required in the run-in so he is taking less of a punt on the youngsters than he has done in the past?

• Absolutely agree about the importance of experience. Sam Saunders epitomises that. Like Paul Hayes (wonderfully in control skipper) he's "been there and done it". Jacobson and Jombati are also in the experienced category of course. Only others are Woody (first on any manager's teamsheet?), Bloomfield and Bean. I've the utmost respect for Matt but neither he nor Marcus are players that I'd worry too much about if they were unavai1lable. There will be room in that area for Max Kretschmar in due course - intelligent (on and off the pitch) skilful and creative with plenty of potential.

• I hope you are correct 'micra', Max K blows hot and cold, he did claim 13/14 would be 'his season' after a couple of good games / goal - then fell away, as he had done this season before injury. Would like to see him feature in the run in though on better grassy pitches with the sun on his back

• I think I'd like to have four Mawsons in the team if I could. Two at centre back, one in central midfield, and one up front.

• Alfie Mawson is absolute class and as good if not better than any centre half Wycombe have fielded since joining the football league.
    If Roger Johnson and Mike Williamson played in the Premiership then Mawson is a cert.
    Better than both at this time in his career in my humble opinion.

• I doubt he will play higher than the Championship, most of you have no idea how good you need to be to play even that level. League 2 is poor and League 1 isn't much better.

• Or is it more a case of you don't have any idea how good Alfie really is?
    We have been very fortunate over the years to watch some really good centre backs and Alfie is up with the best of them.

• Not sure why Blueh_w decided to join this forum today simply to put Mawson down. Sad individual. The lad is great and hopefully has an exceptional future in front of him.

• judging by recent mistakes quite along time .... he is no mike williamson !
    @blueh_w - 12:46PM

You're no Bamber Gascoigne either. If Mawson keeps improving, stays free of injury and working on his game, he'll surely make it into the Premier League.

• lets wait and see shall we, if he was that good brentford wouldn't be playing tony craig as centre half for most of the season and using alfie, craig was pretty useless when he was here I believe so shows you don't have to be that special if the manager fancies you

• I've re-read this a number of times and each time it appears that you are saying that you saw Tony Craig play a few games when he was 19 and he wasn't very good, therefore 11 years later his playing regularly in for Brentford in the Championship is not proof that Craig was better than you thought, but that Alfie Mawson is somehow rubbish. Have I got that right?

• Also Craig was an excellent left back when he was here. I think Mr h_w is just not that great at spotting a decent player.

• For me player of the season with 9 games to go. One of Gareth's best signings

• blueh_w might be part of a bizarre conspiracy to convince Brentford that Alfie's too rubbish to take back, so that we can nab him like we managed to get Aaron off them last season.

• @blueh_w - are you Trevor in disguise?

• I wonder if the penalty against Stevenage had gone in after a ridiculous foul and if he hadn't scored in the last two games would you be saying he is so brilliant and also when he plays without Pierre he looks like a little boy lost at times ...... I also think Danny Rowe deserved to keep his place after the Tranmere performance but Pierre walked straight back in and lets not forget he will get to 15 yellows and we will run to Danny again then which seems slightly awkward considering he could have done no more to keep his place !!!

• I think we are in agreement that Danny Rowe is a little too good to be on our bench all season. However, the reason he has been is that Mawson and Pierre have both been outstanding. Yes, they have made a few errors, but even the world's best defenders make mistakes.

Even if Mawson hadn't scored in the last two games we would still say he is brilliant. But he did score in those games - so let's give him the credit for that, as well as his defensive performances all season.

• Surely this is a wind-up?

Mawson oozes class and we are very lucky to have him. He's on a completely different level from some of the more recent CBs we've had and in my opinion his introduction has had the greatest individual impact in overseeing our turnaround from last year.

On another note did anyone see Dave Winfield's mistake to gift Mansfield an 87th minute winner on Tuesday night. Absolutely comical and we can thank our lucky stars he didn't accept the contract we offered him back in 2013.

• Dave Winfield left this club in brilliant form, had he stayed I feel he would be a better player now. He wanted to play League 1 Football and wasn't good enough at the time which was proved by the fact he has played about 15 games since he left and 5 of those have come in the last 4 weeks while on loan at AFC W, he has since been recalled by York

• I wish we had distribution Dave back, his positioning was exceptional also

• He is only a kid, cut him some slack b_w, sure Alfie has the odd lapse in concentration, given how much we depend on him they tend to show up more than mistakes others make (think Beano), when Alfie strolls out of defence with the ball at his feet looking around imperiously for the pass it reminds me of a young Bobby Moore, yes I did see him play, watch the pass Moore put in for Hurst's third goal in '66, got Mawson written all over it.