Skip to content

Admired Opposition Players......

Just a little counterbalance to another thread. Snag is I can't think of any candidates!

Comments

• Joel Grant.

• Going back a few years...but..Scott Mcgleish

• I think Steve Thompson is the only opposition player I've actually asked to sign for Wycombe.

• Reality is that in Lg2 there is such a turnover in clubs (25% per year) and playing personnel that opposition teams are rarely more than 11 anonymous men in red or whatever.

Only real exceptions are ex-players, the increasingly rare star from the Premier still playing in his old age at lower level or the very rare real character. Akinfenwa is probably one of the latter for opposition fans. Ken McKenna was the best I've seen in this role - how much more enjoyable was clinching promotion against Runcorn that McKenna was hamming it up for the opposition?

• I liked Steve Fletcher for Bournemouth, a character on the pitch and had a couple of long stints at the club.

If we're just going on "can take the banter" Tony Roberts for Dagenham & Redbridge was one of the best.

• Luke McCormick.

Of course what he did was absolutely heinous, and I'm sure people will miss the entire point of my post and say I'm disgusting for admiring someone who killed a mother and child but...

Everyone deserves a second chance. He served his time, and has come out the other side a model professional now captaining the side, all the while taking dog's abuse from self-righteous morons up and down the country. Decent keeper too at this level.

• Not a player as such but I quite like Martin Allen. I think he enjoys the pantomime villain role and always has time to chat and joke with fans behind the dugout, particularly during the game.

• Excellent post Bill. Couldn't agree more.

• Graham Kavanagh, he used to run the show from midfield whenever we played against him.

• I always enjoy watching Jon Parkin. And Akinfenwa before he joined us.

• In suggesting this topic, I actually had in mind players that we would love (or would have loved) to see playing for Wycombe but did not (or have not yet) come our way. Some of those mentioned above did eventually come our way and, if I broaden the terms of reference to include admired opposition players who eventually signed for us, a lot of names spring to mind, including Mooney and McGleish, mentioned above, Nicky Evans, Noel Asford, Keith Barrett, Kevin Durham (Enfield/Barnet) and John Hutchins(on), Bernie Bremer and Keith Searle (all at Wealdstone when I followed them in the '60s.

• Ok @Cyclops, I forgot the closing bracket!

• George Boyd really stood out for me playing for Peterborough against us. I also recall Jermaine Defoe giving us a torrid afternoon playing for Bournemouth at Adams Park.

• Don't know if friendlies count, but Patrick Bamford absolutely destroyed us in Matt Bloomfield's testimonial. Hope he smells the coffee and seeks a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge, rather than spend the rest of his career going out on loan.

I'd agree with Dagenham's Roberts - always took his grief well. I remember Carl Muggleton, then of Chesterfield, being similarly good humoured and joining in with the terrace (back when the terrace was a genuine source of good-natured humour).

• @micra
    John Maskell our then assistant manager brought in Kevin Durham from Oxford City as an unknown quantity, im not sure if he'd ever played against us. He signed for Barnet after a number of years at Loakes park and Adams Park, he never played for Enfield.

• Dean Windass, great striker, who scored probably the best ever goal at Adams park for Hull. 2-2 if I remember correctly...

• Gareth Whalley for Crewe was good to watch.

• George Berry playing for a midlands club in either the conference or first year in Lg2 came across as a thoroughly decent guy when given a little good natured stick about still playing at his advanced age. Mr Berry of course was famous for jumping into the crowd and beating seven bells out of one of his own supporters who was racially abusing him. Which further qualifies him as a thoroughly good egg in my book.

• @ChasHarps said:
    micra
    John Maskell our then assistant manager brought in Kevin Durham from Oxford City as an unknown quantity, im not sure if he'd ever played against us. He signed for Barnet after a number of years at Loakes park and Adams Park, he never played for Enfield.

I was referring to the players listed being from those two clubs but I can't recall in all cases who came from which.

• But Kevin durham didnt come from either of those two listed, and how could you admire him, if he had never played against us ?

• I really rated Tommy Rowe when he played against us for Stockport in the play-off semis in 2008. Couldn't believe he's already back in League Two when he popped up on the Doncaster team sheet the other week.

• Darren currie....then we signed him great player

• I liked Clayton Donaldson when he played for Brentford

• Dean Windass is a good shout. Best goal I've ever seen.

• Martin Bullock was stunning playing against us, such a shame it didnt work in the quarters. Others that never came but I wish they had, Robbie Savage whilst at Crewe, Kemer Roofe at Oxford, Robin Friday at Reading and one for the oldies John Swannel at Hendon, but I wouldnt have wanted him to replace John Maskell.
    PS. I agree with all the comments above.

• Lee Hodges at Scunthorpe

We tried to sign him as well. Would have been brilliant

• Also Jimmy Bullard when he was at Peterborough

• Forgot Dave Colyer for Woking.

• @ChasHarps said:
    But Kevin durham didnt come from either of those two listed, and how could you admire him, if he had never played against us ?

I admired him very much - so much that I'd forgotten the sequence of clubs! Time to grab me coat!

• Rowan Dodds used to terrorise us for Slough, shame that he was a pale shadow of that player when he arrived at Loakes Park.