Skip to content

Who to Keep?

Keep or let go

Kashket 31/12
Gape 3/1
Blackman 3/1
Cowan -hall 31/1

And as a bonus
Pierre (expiry end of season, lets say an offer of 100k +20% sell on)

Comments

• That's an interesting point about Pierre I hadn't thought about. If we lose him at the end of the season on a Bosman does that mean we don't get a sell-on clause in his next contract? If that's the case it's an absolute no-brainer, let him go on a free in Jan if we can get a 20% sell-on for him at a League One or Championship club.

On the others - we're clearly keeping PCH, I'd be surprised if he wasn't released by Millwall in Jan so he could sign permanently for us. Kashket's only had one decent sub appearance for us but that alone is enough for an extension. Blackman we should do everything we can to keep though I suspect he'll be pushed into League One by Chelsea. I'm unconvinced by Gape, we've got plenty of other options in central midfield and he's not yet shown himself to be indispensable, like McCarthy did very quickly.

You forgot Max Muller - if we are losing Pierre and he's finally regained fitness extending his contract seems to be sensible, we might as well get some use out of a player we've been helping get fit for half a season!

• Agree with @aloysius - Kashket must be worth an extension. Seems to have an eye for goal and probably needs game time and experience to get the most out of it. The others are out of our control but would love to keep Paris, hopefully on a permanent deal. Gape has been unimpressive of late. With Brown back fit again I imagine Blackman will be off to another loan club soon enough.

• Gape has not shone as much as previous loanees like Alfie and McCarthy. I don't think his distribution is as good as McGinn but he has good energy so maybe wins there. It is a position where we have lots of cover so £££ comes into it.
    PCH i think we will be let go by Milwall and will hopefully come back to where he appears happy.
    Blackman is a no brainer to keep but I cant see a queue of higher clubs after him.
    Kashket I like. A different attacking option coming in off the flanks and with an eye for goal.

Here's an unrelated thing. Moan about our strikers as we do for not scoring. Not one West Ham striker has scored this season. I won't list them but there are lots. Amazing.

• Wonder if the 500 money will be used to make pch deal permanent

• Letting Pierre go on the cheap is probably better than getting nothing for him at the end of the season!

• I always assumed Gape was signed as cover for the injured O'Nien and Bean and, save further injuries, or him turning out to be the new Pirlo, we would not be extending his loan deal. With the injured players back, CM is one of the few areas of our squad where we have genuine depth. With O'Nien back, Rowe looking increasingly at home in midfield, Bloomfield having his best season in years, plus Bean, McGinn and the promising Freeman - Do we really need Gape as well?

No offence to him and he's done a good job, but I'd rather any funds we might have to extend his loan in January were focussed elsewhere, especially if/when Pierre goes.

• I think Gape is good. I'd like him to stay

• I'd like Gape to stay but if we only have limited funds I'd prefer a loanee to address our creative problems (or even a centre back when Pierre goes).

Ainsworth has previously given loyality more status than rotating the squad to improve areas. I expect Gape to be resigned for the rest of the season

• He would leave a gaping hole in midfield

• Naah we'd be OK. Without him the midfield would be full of beans.

• Pierre has hardly ripped up trees this season and Stewart has been his equal on most games. Are there really a queue of clubs ready to pay for him? The centre half of one of the worst defences in the professional game is not a great thing.

• Pierre's stock has fallen massively since the January transfer window last year. I'm not sure there will be that many takers this January when he'll be a free agent in the summer.

• This seems to me to be developing into a similar situation to Stewart a couple of years ago. On form and effort this season, I think Stewart would be a bigger loss to us.

• @peterparrotface said:
    He would leave a gaping hole in midfield

We need to let other bloom (in mid) field

• Plenty waiting in line to fill his place - a whole Rowe of them.

• If he stays it can only be a good thing but it would not be the end of our relegation struggle, it would not even be the beginning of the end, but I think it just might be the end to our McGinn-ing.

Coat collected , slung over shoulder and already well on way to exit.

• @mooneyman said:
    Letting Pierre go on the cheap is probably better than getting nothing for him at the end of the season!

Has that not been our selling policy for years anyway letting our best players go on the cheap not getting the best deal for the club.

• Trevor, don't you understand if we can't persuade Pierre to sign a new contract he can leave for nothing at the end of the season. Even you must realise it's better getting something in January however small. It's not as if Pierre is playing as well as last season anyway.

• @mooneyman Not sure what you are saying is actually true. Surely keeping Pierre for the remainder of the season makes us a better side more capable of some success. I'm not sure what value you put on that but it cannot be discounted as you seem to be suggesting.

• I agree a motivated Pierre makes us a better side, but if he is intent on leaving (I accept there is no concrete evidence that is the case) then I would question how much effort he would put in during his last few games.

Given that we now have no realistic chance of getting in the play offs it may be better to get some money now. Based on Pierre's performances so far this season, I am not sure his absence would lead to us getting relegated provided that a reasonable replacement was obtained. Additionally Sido did a good job in the middle when called on last season and he isn't being utilised elsewhere this season.

I do understand what you are saying, but hopefully both our concerns will be addressed by Pierre signing a new contract with us.

• Tough one for me.

He will be 24 by the summer, so presumably no out of contract compensation at end of season. Obviously we don't know what he has been promised in the summer. Hard to believe he would sign a new contract without at least exploring other options, so it may be a case of taking some (but probably with only six months to go, not much) cash now with a sell-on or expect to get nothing in the summer.

If we were comfortably midtable, bit of a no-brainer but would be a major gamble to take cash now if we are still in the middle of a relegation fight.

• It's a roll of the dice for Pierre as well. Maybe he should have a chat with Stewart about the risks.
    If our form and therefore his reputation continues like this he may get a move but where to Crawley? Crewe? He may consider a pragmatic view would be to sign a 1-year deal is better than risking the alternatives.
    Once again you hope he is getting good advice that serves him well.

• Why would he sign a new deal now or indeed until the last possible moment in the summer?

• Because he realises he needs to get his head down and get back to the form he showed for us 12 months ago. If he does that he will get the move he's missed out on up to now.

I hope he stays for a while yet. I actually think it will benefit both him and the club.

• I am sure pretty much everyone (well apart from our more feral youth) would be delighted if Aaron Pierre stayed with us pretty much as long as he wants to. I'd be very surprised to see him sign a contract any time soon - no reason I can see for him to do so.

• @mooneyman said:
    Trevor, don't you understand if we can't persuade Pierre to sign a new contract he can leave for nothing at the end of the season. Even you must realise it's better getting something in January however small. It's not as if Pierre is playing as well as last season anyway.

Maybe but this seems to happen to us way too often having too selk cheaply because of contracts running out

• And how would you resolve this Trevor?

• Offer a new contract

• Shit bet we haven't thought of that! And if he says no?

• What a brilliant idea Trevor, I would suggest you pass on that tip to Mr Howard!