Skip to content

Doncaster Match Report

Comments

• @clifty04 I think he was waiting for one of our players to move somewhere where he could give it to them rather than just lump it forward

• We have lots of problems but goalkeeper is certainly not one of them!

• What annoys me about Blackman is that he has no pace and his heading is abysmal. Should be scoring goals instead of hanging about in his own area.

• All of the supposed arguments against Blackman remind me of those people who repeatedly shout "PASS IT FORWARDS" throughout every Wycombe match, even when there is no forward pass on.

• And then they moan when we lump it forward and lose it!

• @Bledlow_Blue said:
    We have lots of problems but goalkeeper is certainly not one of them!

An interesting comment which, assuming that you are referring to on-field matters only, would benefit from the addition of a few examples of the "lots of problems" that you have identified. The absence of a strong, fit proven goalscorer is an obvious shortcoming (and would be expensive to remedy) but it would be interesting to know what other problems you have in mind which you think need to be confronted.

• Akinfemwa is strong, fit and a proven goal scorer.

• @micra @Bledlow_Blue I think not scoring enough goals, strange formations and late substitutions is on my list of problems above goalie...

• edited November 2016

Our full backs (defensively), our midfield creativity and our goalscoring ability would be my main issues

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Akinfemwa is strong, fit and a proven goal scorer.

I pondered that. I should have added "mobile and fit enough to play 90 minutes more often than in the absence of Paul Hayes (whose fitness is also now in question)."
    I agree with the comments by @Wendoverman (except I would add loss of shape and composure at times - eg when Barnet took the lead) and by @Bledlow_Blue especially the need for a creative midfield fulcrum in the Sam Saunders mould.

• @clifty04 I'm really not sure why you are so critical of Blackman. He's no Tom Heaton for sure but he's a decent young keeper and a really good addition to our team. I can almost hear you howling about how many points he's got us but let's be honest. we haven't got that many points. He's made some outstanding saves after being horribly exposed and has made a few errors along the way.

I think I'm going to start using the same logic as you are using for Blackman on your increasingly irritating and fanciful match reports. Let's see how it goes trying to keep up to the same level of expectation you heap on a young player making his way in the game. When are you next on reporting duty? I can't wait to start the review process.

• @Right_in_the_Middle Anytime you'd like to write one just let me know.

Hartlepool's up for grabs this month if you're interested?

• @micra If you include 'mobile' then I retract my statement!

• @Vital very happy to see this nickname supporting the match report writer. Good to hear.
    Very nice post deflecting the main point on the me giving report writing a go. Getting to be a Wycombe wide trend.
    Don't like the report. Write one yourself
    Don't like the lack of money. Give us yours.
    Don't like the treatment of OAP's. Why not come and volunteer

I'm sure @clifty04 is more than capable of being in the public eye and having the same scrutiny has the current Wycombe goalie.

• @DevC and @micra Only just seen your replies to my question. Many thanks to you both.

• Some people on here have actually said they appreciate a reasonably detailed, opinionated match report rather than the "back of a fag packet" report you get these days on teletext / BBC sport or the obligatory positive spin that you get on all football club websites

I always enjoy reading the other guys reports for sure even if I don't always agree with everything.

Looks like you're pretty keen to criticise someone that gives up their free time and volunteers to write the odd report for having an opinion. Can't you just disagree, make your stance and leave it at that?

• I'd echo that. I don't always agree with the opinions expressed in the Vital articles, but I'd far rather read those than some derisory, inaccurate, four sentence paragraph on the BBC website. It's enough of a ballache getting to and sitting through a lot of our games, let alone then spending spare time writing about them.

• I always enjoy reading the other guys reports for sure even if I don't always agree with everything.

Agreed, thanks to all the Vital contributors.

• 'Can't you just disagree, make your stance and leave it at that?'

That's pretty much what I'm doing isn't it? I've stated a few times I also enjoy the Vital posts. It's interesting that all three of the last posters don't agree with certain opinions in the reports. Same here. I've just picked on one particular one rather than some generalisation and called it out.

I'm a bit concerned by this thankfulness for those volunteering to report. They do want to do it don't they? I hope they aren't being put under undue pressure to right a report or worse locked in a dark room and forced to. I'd always thought the reporters did get a bit of pleasure out of writing them but maybe not.

Getting back to the original point though the critisism of Blackman is poor and without any justification in my eyes. I will make sure any critique I give of a report will be in the same vein.

• @Right_in_the_Middle

Just looked at the report again...

Adam wrote: "Blackman 6 - Still really not convinced. I'd play Brown."

Now that's an opinion I don't agree with either, but it's his report and he''s entitled to it.

You of course, are entitled to disagree, but I don't think his report warrants your vindictive response.

• @Vital Just for clarification it's the posts on this thread that I'm responding to. The mentions on reporting were about me finding faults with his public work in the same way he has on Blackman. We both know I won't actually bother doing this but it was the comparison I wanted to give.

Interesting that the report is actually a very much filtered down version of the posts on this thread. How do you feel about that? Would the full blown view carry more weight or is there some actual or virtual editing going on here?

Pleased you are backing the reporter. He's doing a good service. He's just so wrong about Blackman it makes me slightly doubtful about anything else I read.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Vital Just for clarification it's the posts on this thread that I'm responding to. The mentions on reporting were about me finding faults with his public work in the same way he has on Blackman. We both know I won't actually bother doing this but it was the comparison I wanted to
    Pleased you are backing the reporter. He's doing a good service. He's just so wrong about Blackman it makes me slightly doubtful about anything else I read.

Not sure quite what the above is all about, other than the second paragraph where In a Right Muddle, having questioned the need for anyone to express thanks for the Vital reports (see his earlier post below), does concede that the reporter is "doing a good service ".

On choice of goalkeeper, I have some sympathy with Adam Clift's view. It seems to me to boil down to a trade-off between experience and the greater height, reach and (possibly, we don't really know) athleticism of the younger man. The comparison is probably best left until Tuesday's match against Coventry. Two other factors may come into play - the psychological effect of Jamal's disappointing performance in the league game at Fratton Park and (highly unlikely) a refusal by Chelsea to let him become cup-tied.

Earlier, @Right_in_the_Middle said:

..........I'm a bit concerned by this thankfulness for those volunteering to report. They do want to do it don't they? I hope they aren't being put under undue pressure to right a report or worse locked in a dark room and forced to. I'd always thought the reporters did get a bit of pleasure out of writing them but maybe not.

Getting back to the original point though the critisism of Blackman is poor and without any justification in my eyes. I will make sure any critique I give of a report will be in the same vein.

Not sure if "right a report" is the same as correcting it.

• Thanks @micra . Far more analysis than my rabbling posts deserved. No idea what point you were making though.

• I need to apologise to @Right_in_the_Middle for some pretty indifferent editing of his posts but I hope the gist of what he said and my response are clear enough.

• Whilst Adam has every right to post his views on here, it is likewise reasonable that fellow posters can challenge in a polite and constructive manner. If not there is little point in having a forum.

It would be helpful if Adam could clarify why he feels Brown is a better keeper, bearing in mind he has only played once for us. He may well be, but I feel it is a very big risk to jettison Blackman who I think could end up being a better keeper than Ingram.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Thanks micra . Far more analysis than my rabbling posts deserved. No idea what point you were making though.

Just putting in my two penn'orth on the 'keeper comparison - for which we have diddly-squat evidence to go on and, on your second post, making a childish comment on your use of the word 'right'.
    I'll take me coat.

• @mooneyman - I don't necessarily believe Brown is a better goalkeeper than Blackman. Like you say, I've seen him play once for us (where he made 2 good saves) and a handful of times against us for Cheltenham.
    My report stated I'm not convinced by Blackman and I would play Brown. Potentially that could've been worded "Give Brown a try". He may well get a few games and prove to not be as good as Blackman, but at the moment we aren't really sure.
    I'm not convinced with Blackman, and a lot of you seem to disagree. I also know some people who agree. Everyone has their own opinion.

• If you give Brown "a try" now, it is likely that Chelsea would not extend Blackman's loan as they need him playing. That would then need us having to sign another keeper in January as cover/competition for Brown as Richardson is not really viable now.

Until Blackman shows Ainsworth he is not up to the job, I can't see Brown getting a look in, which unfortunately is just bad luck for him.

• Wouldn't surprise me to see Brown "given a try" in the cup game tomorrow and certainly will play in the LDV thingy. Blackman clear number one for the league. If we could extend hos loan to end of season, wouldn't be surprised to see Brown go out on loan in Jan.

• OK. So admittedly Blackman was outstanding on Saturday. 2 world class saves to keep it at 1-0.