Skip to content

Match day thread: Yeovil

2»

Comments

• We've knocked the longstanding Tuesday evening jinx well and truly on the head; time to do the same for away games.

• Saturday was dull, Micra, genuinely cant remember a worse game. Yeovil were IMHO worse than us, just constant hoof balls.

I don't blame you or anyone else for being frustrated by that. I don't join many (though possibly not yourself to be fair) in jumping to the "its all the managers fault - change him and all will be fine" simplistic nonsense.

My view is that it was unfair to criticise the manager when half the team were out injured
    (not to be fair an excuse on Saturday). I think we are lucky to have such a manager and we would be much worse off without him. Simple truth though that no manager (Ferguson or Guardiola or whoever is todays superstar included) who can work miracles every year.

While we insist on operating with one arm tied behind our backs, and operating with budgets in the bottom six, (probably bottom three, possibly bottom of all) it is inevitable that in some seasons we will struggle. It is highly likely that some time in the next five years we will have a full-on relegation battle that we might lose.

• @DevC why do you use the word "insist" as if there's big money backers waiting in the wings?

• Isn't our debt due to expire in 2021?

• Same old cut and pasted stuff with no genuine insight in to the game @DevC
    Not really sure what you think it adds to anything at all.
    I noted the provocative use of the word 'insist' as if there are a range of choices at the moment. I'm guessing you don't have anything factual to back that up.

• Would hope that the debt will be cleared before 2021 unless we have really screwed up on the Ibe deal!

• @Malone I think you missed my point, (possibly I hadn't written it well enough. I know that Bayo was ill & Kashket too ill to travel. My this kit was that maybe a few others who played were also affected but not as bad, hence a possible reason why it was, in general a below par performance?

• It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good. Sounds like an awful game but on the bright side after those three terrible wins @Wwfc2015_ and and richie have been proved right again.

• Are you saying you believe the fanbase and Trust are open to a takeover, Peter? Do they desire such a thing? If that is the case, a representative should be tasked to actively go out and seek such an individual - not wait passively for one to appear. Would you wish this Peter?

88 other league and premiership clubs, plus many more in the conference have found investors. Some are bad, some very bad, but the majority are decent people. Given our status based in the affluent south east, good reputation off the field and located one of (arguably the) nearest in terms of time to heathrow, no reason to believe there is not one out there for us, IF we choose to go out and look.

Whether we do or not is not my choice - it should be the choice of supporters who live in the area and can get to games.

• edited October 2016

No substance (sadly as usual) to Righty's post - just personal stuff. But I cant offer you much "insight to the game", nothing really happened - but if you wish a few thoughts....

They hoofed it, desperately inaccurately. We tried to pass a little then gave up and hoofed it. Central defenders won virtually every ball.

Personally I have never seen PCH play well at CF but I don't see enough games to judge whether that is a trend or just me being unlucky.

Given PCH and GT can both play RW and CF, I was surprised they didn't interchange more when clearly PCH up front and GT on the right was creating nothing.

Pleased to see our drummer was quarantined in a little pen of his own. Can other away grounds follow this lead please.

For the first time at a game we are losing, I was rather pleased to hear the final whistle.

Apart from a dull football match, I had a great weekend in the area - nice meal, convivial pub and a great band on Saturday night 10 miles up the road followed by a glorious 20 mile hike along the Coast path and back in spectacular weather on Sunday. Always think it is a shame that so many away supporters travelling round this green and pleasant land see only the inside of a random Weatherspoons and the Ground. Their call obviously.

• Nice generalisation about the habits of Wycombe fans. My experience is that quite a few take in the delights of the surrounding areas pre and post match. If they don't then surely that's their choice and based on either interests, time or money. 'Spoons pubs have taught me at least one history lesson in recent weeks.

All in all a sadly negative summary after all the grief you've given people on here about being negative about similar recent performances. I like Paris as a central striker and recent games show Thommo is much happier playing wide. Paris is clearly rusty at the moment in my opinion.

Lastly it would be interesting to see your reaction if I ever did get personal and abuse you. My last post was nothing of the sort and to be honest I don't really see the need to abuse you.

• Good point Dev. I was on a ramblers association message board only this morning calling them all dicks for not going to more football matches

• @DevC Are you saying you believe the fanbase and Trust are open to a takeover, Peter?

Yep

Do they desire such a thing?

I don't know but Trust and fans seemed pretty keen the last time someone showed an interest.

If that is the case, a representative should be tasked to actively go out and seek such an individual - not wait passively for one to appear. Would you wish this Peter?

No. I believe in supporter ownership as you know. I don't know if they are actively seeking investment or not. And nor do you, do you Dev?

• Agreed Righty. That's why I said "their call obviously".

Course I don't Peter, but I see no sign of it. From what you have said I presume you would be opposed to them actively seeking an investor , in fact may I go so far as to suggest that as much as you were able, you would try to insist that they didn't?

• Horses for courses Dev. Those running the club have a much better idea of what's best for the club, so if they tell us that seeking an investor is the best way forward then I'd listen to what they have to say and form an opinion from there.

• I salute your flexibility Peter.

By those running the club do you mean the Owners, the Trust or the Management Team lead by Howard (or indeed either)?

• @DevC I don't think the club should actively seek private ownership.

I believe in fan owned clubs. I think the model will become increasingly common in the lower leagues over the next 10 years, although even if it doesn't I would rather persevere for the time being.

• Either really.

• @EwanHoosaami , i probably missed it, so apologies!
    Having taken part in some sport myself at the weekend under the weather, I can imagine how it certainly won't have helped our small squad if the bug wasn't isolated quick enough.

The good thing is that we get an opportunity to go again pretty quickly, and if, that's if, we could get our act together, a few wins would make us soar up the league.
    The away form is so incredibly bad though. It makes you realise how spoilt we were when we went well into the new year without losing on a saturday away from home a mere couple of seasons ago.

• @Malone The away form is really proving an enigma that is stubborn to solve. The clue, for me, is the lack of goals for and just a few added to the against column. The only time I recall us scoring 2 or more away from home and we concede 4!
    My family up in the north-west always look out for WWFC results on a Saturday and refer to us as "Wycombe nil". Speaks for itself really.