Skip to content

Goalkeeper signs

Seems we tried to keep Cameron Dawson, but Wednesday weren't very co-operative.

Comments

• Crikey he's a big lad!

• Do we know how long is Scott Brown injured for?

• Ainsworth's quote about him getting regular football is interesting.

Or it could just be a typical Ainsworth press quote as he seems to be focusing as much about the finances as the incoming player.

Looks a decent signing though

• Decent signing that.

He is highly rated at Chelsea.

• Some penalty shoot-out action when he was on loan at Middlesborough

Looks like a good signing.

• Wow, this is almost certainly going to be the signing of the summer - potentially Ainsworth's best ever bit of transfer business for the club. To get the Chelsea third choice keeper for half a season - and get them to pay for his wages (the press release at least hints that's the reason we couldn't keep Dawson) is a genuinely stunning bit of business. I wonder if it might even persuade Pierre to stay til January, knowing his reputation will surely be enhanced by playing with someone of Blackman's caliber.

Poor Scott Brown may well have done himself a Lynch - the path clears up for him to be first choice for a whole season, he gets injured in his first match (or three) and all of a sudden a glamorous new loanee has been brought in to eclipse him on return.

Also, not wishing to brag, but Aloysius was convinced that 1) we'd try to sign Dawson for half a season and 2) we would be in the market for a second keeper. You're not singing any more, @DevC?!

• He gave his penalty some welly.

• Oh dear. Talking in the third (virtual) person @aloysius . Not good

• Really hard luck for Scott Brown, goes his entire career without missing a game thru injury, can't make it three days into the new season with us!

• Lucky we all made sure Gaz realised he didn't have one. No threads are wasted on Gasroom 2.0

• Has he seen the kit yet? He still has time to pull out before the first game...

• As a point of order, Mr Aloysius, I have checked the relevant thread and you said
    1) SB is susceptible to injury - never missed a game before
    2) AL was injured in his first game - he wasn't
    3) SB came off injured v Crawley - he didn't
    4) CD would be signed this week - he wasn't
    5) A loan keeper was required as a training partner for Brown - hardly
    6) A loan keeper would be happy to sign and sit on our bench - err no

I said we would not sign a loan GK unless a very promising cheap GK becomes available. - which appears to have happened.

We should cautiously welcome Mr Blackman to the club not as the new messiah as you seem to, Mr Aloysius, but as a decent prospect who might with a bit of luck do well with us. And cut him a little slack if he throws one in in his first game. (And it would appear from Chris's link not be too hopeful if Accy get a penalty!).

I cant help but be cautiously optimistic for this season, especially if one of the forwards starts scoring regularly.

• 1) SB has a 100% record of getting injured in competitive matches for Wycombe
    2) You're right, AL was injured in his third game that season
    3) I said SB hadn't completed a match without getting injured, not that he came off. According to Ainsworth his injury was sustained during the match
    4) An attempt to sign CD was made, something you pooh-poohed
    5 / 6) I gave many reasons why a youth team keeper would want to sign for us, not least the chance to play first team football. I guess I was right - but even Aloysius (sorry RITM) didn't dream Ainsworth would be able to pull the Chelsea third choice out of the bag.

Oh Dev, today isn't a day for carping, nor for being 'cautious' in welcoming Blackman. This is a marquee signing and a bloody impressive one at that. Hats off Ainsworth!

• It's ok. The pink shirt doesn't fit him so he'll wear the Chelsea top.
    Having said that, the white strip is rather fetching and when the outfield players are in the white away kit, anyone can catch the ball at corners. Jamal would probably get to it first though.
    @micra's getting very silly. He thinks it's all the excitement. Sorry Righty.

• I think you may be getting a little over excited, Mr A. He is promising. He isn't Gordon Banks yet. No doubt if he makes a mistake against Accy you'll be the first to condemn him as "conference at best".

Wish him well. Hope he does well.

• You really do have to feel for Scott Brown. When he was injured at Cheltenham in September 2011 the club secured the services of a promising but raw English keeper on loan. The young Mr J Butland, for it was he, was so good that Brown couldn't win back his place once he'd recovered until Birmingham recalled their player at the end of the season.

I wonder if he'll think that history is repeating itself. I guess we'll have to wait a few years before we know if Blackman is good enough for the England team. At least Brown can console himself with the knowledge he regained his spot when Butland left and held it for two years. And that he'll have a brilliant anecdote for after-dinner speeches if it happens twice!

• @Chris said:
    He gave his penalty some welly.

Unbelievable welly.

• Brown wasn't injured when Butland signed - he was just replaced in the team and was on the bench in Butland's first and subsequent games. Blackman is currently a million miles off playing for England. he hasn't played a league game yet (in this country anyway)

• It's all me, me, me this afternoon isn't it.
    What an angry and pointless debate about a player we've just seen play on a Youtube clip. Good luck to him. Sounds like he might need it.

• I don't think anyone has said a bad word about the chap? And I'm not convinced anyone has said anything in anger either.

• Not the point I was making @Chris . It's the debate and the posters I'm talking about. Not the comments on the players.

Not really sure why you bothered posting though.

• Had never heard of the lad myself, but am happy that he's generated such excitement amongst a few of you!

If he does very well, and keeps Brown out, so be it. Competition always produces better levels than a guy knowing he'll start every week.

Although not Thompson's biggest fan by any means, I think he's looked sharper this season too. As he won't have to play every single game, hopefully he'll stay that way too.

• edited August 2016

Chris, I think Righty was trying to have yet another personal dig. Yet again , in his Geoffrey Howe style, it has fallen flatter than a hedgehog on the M25. I wonder if he has eaten Tattler somewhere along the way.

I am sure all wish Mr Blackman great success at WWFC and in his future career.

• If you're reading, welcome to the Gasroom Jamal but more importantly welcome to this great little football club. Looking forward to seeing you in action (but not too much!) tomorrow.

• Personally I still think this was Plan A all along (although probably without the injury)

• I think so too @bookertease . Scott Brown seems a steady keeper, but not the calibre of our last few years.
    Just hope he was brought in under this possible scenario, and it's not now massively demotivated him!
    Having said that, maybe he was just happy to get another contract as a pro. The slip into non league and part time is perilously close after all.

• Pierre is extremely overrated. Sell in January, take the money and add a sell on clause.

Scott Brown has done his groin whilst striking the ball from a goal kick. Expected to be out 2-4 weeks.

• See another thread where it remind everyone how good Pierre was keeping Bayo under control. And your logic is a little flawed. If he is so overrated surely we'd want to maximise the money and not worry about a sell-on clause

• Anyone who thinks Pierre is overrated clearly wasn't at the match on Saturday.

• Not convinced he would be able to play successfully above league 1 level. Very good player but not in the class of Hause, Williamson and Johnson.