Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Elsewhere on the QPR website. What does @kipper know about this I wonder?

Update on Forino. Wycombe not accepting our 350k offer. He wants to come. He has 1 year left on his deal. Wycombe going to keep him. Things might change if Forino continues to not accept their offer. Wycombe won’t want to risk losing him for free next summer.

• Stand off. Will they up their bid if they can't get anyone else or will we lower our ask if we want the money. Not the most gripping summer story, might not even be true.

• Seeing the aftermath of that weekend result...they might well up the offer but he may welll now not want to go! 😊

• I would rather not stand in his way and just take the money, especially given that we have 6 CBs currently!

• Interesting position for Forino.

He's not a shoe in for our team right now, even with a 3 centre back formation. Let alone getting a game at championship level.

• I love Big Chris, but given our cover at CB per above, I would much rather cash in if we have opportunity to do so.

• edited August 2023

Chris Forino-Joseph and Gareth Ainsworth don’t deserve the disrespect, both implied and explicitly stated, during this discussion.

Chris Forino-Joseph is a young, exciting player with huge potential having made more than 50 appearances already.

Gareth Ainsworth is the greatest manager in our club’s history.

• edited August 2023

Even Mr micra isn't going to launder his breeks at a lack of a - in between shoe and in.

Made sure I put "team" not "club". That's one of his top 73 ranklementations.

• Struggling to see where the 'disrespect' for either Gaz or big Chris is

• If anything, talk of selling Forino to the Championship after those 50 odd appearances is showing respect!

• edited August 2023

Nor me.... no disrespectful comments on either that I've seen???

Suggesting GA and if big Chris also joins him at QPR is a bad move is just opinion.... and actually an opinion i happen to agree with.

I don't begrudge GA.... and I won't begrudge Chris if he does move there.... in fact.. just as I hope GA does well... I would wish Forino all the best too.

• Forino might even develop quicker at QPR, as he would be set to have a lot of practice defending!

• And if the disrespectful comments are based on what @Shev just said about if he does go.. then we have decent defenders to step up???... well.... yes.. indeed we do

• edited August 2023

I also think there is nothing wrong in analyzing how GA is doing at QPR with realism. I don't think it is a good fit, and though I love him to bits, I don't need to get behind him for the sake of the team, as he does not manage us anymore, so realism is even less hurtful. I am certainly not going to pretend he is pulling up trees there because he used to manage us! He will always be a legend, but he left voluntarily, he is a big boy, and while many of us (myself included) will always be fascinated to see how he gets on and hope he and Dobbo have great careers, there are no Wycombe-based considerations to softening any analysis of how they are performing.

• The way you've produced full names there makes me wonder if you used some AI auto generation to create this post 😂

• Cashin would be good but he's under contract at that team who shall not be named

• edited August 2023

There's no disrespect around big Chris not being first choice if that's what is being implied. Everyone could see Ainsworth might want him for the future to develope into a really good player but the reality is that he has limited cash and a pretty poor squad and if he doesn't get them improving asap he's going to get the chop before any developing can happen. Forino doesn't seem match fit yet, has been in and out through injury and on current form might not be selected in our 3, so he's an unlikely go-to in the circumstances.

His signing also would not do much to pacify a set of fans who think he's not up to it if they think he can only attract people from lower leagues who already know him.

Interesting post @Shev - Viewing his time at QPR with a Wycombe tint it's easy to see he needs time and funds but but if viewed a bit more coldly he knew what he was going into and is getting slapped by Oxford after several months in role. Blooms looks to have done really well in the closed season by contrast (with backing and an inherited platform to build on) but it's all just prep. Nobody has any points yet, will be interesting to see what happens.

• I wish GA all the best at QPR. If Chris goes I will wish him well. Not totally sure the move was/will be right for either of them though. £400000 would be welcome as well.

• Curtis Thompson set to join Cheltenham.

https://twitter.com/jonpalmersport/status/1687019598883725313?s=46&t=1RBEO4WBqGcRsvgU2yU85Q

Really hope he stays fit & fights hard to keep them up.

• edited August 2023

Shoeld it be shoo-in rather than shoe-in ? I remember being corrected by someone with a female username about ten years ago on the original Gasroom (and ‘she’ also told me to “keep up” on another occasion) but, for the life of me, I can never remember which is the correct version.

I’ve certainly never said “wanna” but I’m afraid I often catch myself saying “gonna”. You rarely hear anyone saying they’re ‘going to’ do something nowadays!

• Should definitely be should rather than shoeld

• It's SHOO. We might have to give you the boot from this forum if you keep making grammatical missteps like that...

• Rowan Liburd signs for Sevenoaks

• That was a clever piece of wordplay on my part, wasn’t it @eric_plant.

• For subscribers to The Athletic:

https://t.co/84GR5SQMZS

• And for non-subscribers, hit stop in your browser before it's fully loaded, then c&p the text

• Or just do this in Safari.

• Nathan Tyson has signed for Ilkeston Town.