Skip to content

Ticket sales

Comments

• I'm off to Derbyshire v Leicester tonight. I'm meeting two Leicester City friends for a drink.

• @LX1 The way Leicester City ended the 2014/15 season gave them something to look forward to. They had reason to dream. Look at the way we ended 2015/16.

• We are more likely to win the league next year than Leicester were at the start of last season!

• @DJTaylor What did a Wycombe Wanderers supporter have to look forward to in 2014/15? Even after the great escape, no-one was expecting anything more than survival - and then the unimaginable happened.

• @DJTaylor The continuing development of O'Nien in midfield? The chance to see Jombati and Jacobson who are both among the best players to play for Wycombe in their positions? I'm assuming that Pierre (who is a delight to watch) is leaving. But then I'm also assuming we'll be bringing in some players too - they might be as thrilling as Mawson or McCarthy.

And a trip to Grimsby, good for the soul.

• @LX1 Is that based purely on bookmakers odds?

@NewburyWanderer That doesn't answer my question. (To answer yours, we had League football to look forward to and still had a club to support.)

@Chris Grimsby might be good for sole but I am not sure it does much for my soul. I think your answer could be described as scraping the barrel.

• eh? I said love going to football. How would having a season ticket not be specific to that?

• @eric_plant You were answering my question to @Morris_Ital "Why can't you wait for next season?" Your answers could apply to any season.

• And therefore also to next season

• @eric_plant Yes, but are not specifically about next season.

• what's your point?

• @eric_plant I am looking for an answer to my question " What does a Wycombe Wanderers supporter have to look forward to in 2016/17?" I've got nothing.

• @DJTaylor ..no, it's patently obvious

• edited June 2016

@LX1 I don't think so. It speaks volumes if that's all you've got for an answer to my question.

• It's great to have Benny back!

I suspect Ainsworth has asked for, and been granted, permission to talk to Port Vale and until that's cleared up Howard has sensibly put a hold on any transfers. I hope if Ainsworth isn't offered the job there'll be four or five players lined up to join us at the end of the month - my fear is in the meantime they might look elsewhere.

• I've already answered it!

I'm looking forward to going to see my team play. Not entirely sure what you're looking for here

• @eric_plant I was looking for more than that. Something specific about next season, something tangible, God forbid even something exciting!

• @aloysius - are @DJTaylor and Benny synonymous in your opinion? Could Benny really be arsed?

• @djtaylor What kind of answer would you be looking for? When was the last time you were excited about the next season in June, and what was it that gave you that excitement?

• Something tangible? What the fuck are you talking about?

• @Chris Two years ago on 3 June 2014 having somehow retained our League status and still having a club to support we saw several hopeless players released whilst Paul Hayes returned and Aaron Pierre signing a permanent 3-year deal. I was positively giddy.

I am just curious why any Wycombe Wanderers supporter would be excited for the new season? Apart from arch-loyalists in the likes of @eric_plant and wide-eyed optimists such as @LX1 I cannot think of a simple reason why 2016/17 promises to be anything other than a continuation of the drudgery we've endured in 2016 post-Villa.

• So in essence it was new signings? We've still got plenty of time over the summer to see those.

• I'd like to think of myself as both an arch-loyalist and a wide-eyed optimist

Whichever, there's still nothing I'd rather be doing at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon than watching Wycombe Wanderers. Been that way for about 30 years now. To think of what I'd have missed it on if I hadn't been

• @eric_plant Tommy Doherty just rang, he wants to spend a Saturday afternoon with you watching "The Best of Gareth Chilcott" DVD? 3pm start.

I'll tell him no.

• edited June 2016

@Chris No, not just new signings. Last summer's arrivals hardly inspire confidence this time around.

A sense of direction might be nice. As discussed recently, the target in year 3 of the much-fabled 5-year plan is play-offs and promotion, but there's absolutely nothing to suggest that's realistic or achievable.

We scored six goals in our last eleven home league matches. We won two of our last 14 league matches. The football was wretched and entertainment value nil.

Not one player finished the season in any sort of form (with Luke O'Nien's knee injury ending his season six weeks early) and Aaron Pierre's sale looms on the horizon.

With circa £800,000 of unbudgeted income in 2015/16 (£400,000 from the sale of Matt Ingram, £250,000 from the Villa cup tie and £150,000 from the replay) we are still facing cash-flow problems (where has the money gone?) and are set to face another takeover battle in the near future.

It seems all Wycombe Wanderers supporters have to fall back on is loyalty and optimism.

@eric_plant You're very much both and more besides.

• @DJTaylor what's this about a new takeover battle? You can't just tantalise us with that innocuous half-sentence. What do you know / suspect?

• edited June 2016

What I'd really like to see is a mea culpa from the manager - an acceptance that the last season was riddled with mistakes that sprung from him and him alone and that he's changing his style/man-management/public-relations as a result.

I don't in my wildest expectations think that will happen - not least because we've already seen him hand contract extensions to some of the under-performers and also because he won't want any admission of fallibility on his record for potential future employers to pour over.

What perhaps he could do would be to send us a little sign that he acknowledges he made mistakes without admitting it. A little dog-whistle. If I were advising him, I'd maybe suggest widening out the pitch again. A simple and elegant message that he's made mistakes and will now encourage more free-flowing football without actually saying as such.

• @aloysius like Manuel from Fawlty Towers "I know nothing." It's just a suspicion. We'll soon see whether any new takeover battle ensues.

• I think we should sell the club to Trevor!

• @DJTaylor I support Wycombe and enjoy cheering on my team The season before last was fantastic last not so much but I still love to go and I live in hope