Skip to content

Contract talks

2»

Comments

• @DJTaylor said:
    Abandon hope all ye who enter here (Adams Park) and welcome to purgatory (more anti-football).

Who on earth is buying a season ticket next year for reasons other than blind faith, loyalty, non-footballing or a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face?

You missed masochism off your list.

Personally I'll do it to help my club try and keep solvent. I must admit I don't really expect to get value for money on the deal though next season

• I shall still be buying one but this doesn't look good. I like Paul Hayes but Thompson has been absolute toilet since xmas and the thought of those two leading the line again is depressing.

The Bloomfield decision is insane.

• Bloomfield got a contract through sentiment not his football skills imho, that's no way to go for promotion more like relegation. Yes he's been at the club for over 10 years but every player goes past their sell by date and has to be moved on for the good of the club.

• I'm quite dissapointed with this news. Bloomers and Bean surely cannot be justified to both stay on (the latter I would prefer). Hayes maybe and I mean maybe another year but why on earth two! Sam Wood I feel should move on after a few good seasons but last season being almost absent completely. Lynch I Would like to have stayed on as I feel he could be good next year maybe regularly being a cup goalkeeper for us. PCH or someone like Barnets Luke Gambin to play on the left wing an new striker maybe a small nifty Matt Tubbs physique sort of player. A creative midfielder perhaps Jermain Udumanga or Sam Saunders and a young centre back cover option.

• I think Hayes is still a decent player and skipper. Beano also has qualities...not sure about Blooms beyond loyalty though. I can see why Ugwe and Max have gone but I fear MK could develop elsewhere given an opportunity. I assume Lynch's injury made him a bit of a risk even as a No2 and am disappointed Sellers really got a chance to prove himself. We have to have faith, but I am certainly interested to see how things pan out.

• 4-2-3-1
    GK: Siegrest
    RB: Jombati
    CB: Stewart
    CB: Pierre
    LB: Jacobson
    CM: Rowe
    CM: O'nien
    CAM:Udumanga
    LW: PCH or Luke Gambin
    RW:Harriman
    ST: small quick natural finisher

S1: Lynch
    S2:New young CB
    S3: Bean
    S4:McGinn
    S5: Hayes
    S6:Thompson
    S7: James Roberts (loan)

This would be an amazing team

• I'm afraid that I completely agree with @arnos_grove re: Bloomfield. It is an absolutely astonishing decision

I also agree with him re: a front two of Hayes and Thompson. Gaz is going to have to work a little bit of magic in the summer, and in the loan market if we're going to avoid a battle at the wrong end of the table I think

But on the bright side this is precisely what he did two years ago so I'm keeping the faith

• Looking at the list of retained players, I think it's a case of the manager picking the characters he feels are right to take the team forward, rather than the best footballers - i.e he's chosen players who in the main have been at the club for the while, 'get' the club and can help keep the spine of the team together.

Personally, I don't think any of the released players can have too many complaints. They've all been bit-part in the last season and Lynch aside (as there is no other keeper) they can all have a 'thanks but no thanks'.

• Interesting the four players out of contract that were offered new deals, mustered 8 goals between them in acombined total of 114 games !!
    I wonder if they were in mind when Gareth came out with "Weve got goals in the building" quote ?

• My heart wants Bloomfield at the club until his legs fall off. My head is astonished that he's been offered a new deal, particularly since Bean has a new deal offered as well.. I can't understand offering Hayes two years, unless he took a longer deal for less money per week, which is possible.

• Don't understand any Bloomfield surprise. Won't be a high earner, has the club at his heart - who else would play through a broken arm for goodness sake.

He's the ideal type of squad player who'll not moan, who'll come in when needed and do a decent job.

We're league 2, we're not going to have 11 star players.

The big job now is bringing a couple of these star players in. The likes of Mawson and how Hayes was 2 years agol

• I don't think anyone would question Bloomfield's commitment or love for the club @Malone

• True Eric.
    Just don't think his time as a mere squad player is quite up yet.

On another note, with some of the released players, there is always the chance some chose themselves not to stay on

• I think this will be Matty B's last contract in league football and agree he has done a decent job this season when he has played ...... I don't see him playing more than 15 games thought and same with Thompson should he stay.