Skip to content

Quite possibly the last known pictures of Loakes Park.

2»

Comments

• Late fifties entrance music,entry of the gladiators with a scratchy record,(should play it again next home game)!.

• Gutted I never visited, sadly started supporting in August 91 so too late

The only park of Loakes Park I saw was half demolished as a hospital car park

• Loved that old ground. Spent some incredibly cold saturday afternoons on the terraces, but also enjoyed sitting in the main stand for a while too. I only started watching Wycombe in '85 but it felt like home to me in a way that Adams Park has never replaced. Obviously we needed AP to push to get into the league so we had to move.

I can certainly remember that Colourbox world cup theme, and also The Liquidator before most Loakes Park matches, plus of course The Dambusters theme as the team came out.

• Dambusters or Entry of the Gladiators? I may be confusing with my young days supporting Maidstone United.

• Dambusters it was.

• Wouldn't "The Dambusters' March" be better, than "Love Runs Out", for the entry of the teams today? Apologies to fans of One Republic and anyone else who likes the song.

• See I am with you there, it always takes me back to Loakes Park when I hear it. Bolton still come out to 633 Squadron and more bizarrely Tranmere come out to the Rockford Files, I presume its something to do with Rock ferry area of Birkenhead. But fans were outraged when they tried to change it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tranmere-rovers-keep-rockford-files-9732648

• It was always The Entry of the Gladiators and that would be more appropriate than anything else.
    During the war, when Americans were based at Wycombe Abbey they organised a game of American Football at Loakes Park to show us how it was played. I was a schoolboy at the time. That is my first memory of Loakes Park, sitting on the ledge on the front of the main stand as I did many times afterwards.

• @Cyclops The current song is the chairman's choice apparently

• @Cyclops said:
    Wouldn't "The Dambusters' March" be better, than "Love Runs Out", for the entry of the teams today? Apologies to fans of One Republic and anyone else who likes the song.

'Is that the name of that old crap that sounds like someone repeatedly banging on about 'the love town' before each game', says this old fart? That's the worst song we've ever run out to (and I'm including Terry Evans' Guns & Roses era too).

If we had decent speakers I'd go with Public Enemy's Lost At Birth. Proper statement of intent!

• Personally I'd go for `Hell Is Empty And All The Devils Are Here' by Anaal Nathrakh. Should get everyone pumped up and scare the bejesus out of the opposition.

• @arnos_grove - Quote:-
    'Is that the name of that old crap that sounds like someone repeatedly banging on about 'the love town' before each game', says this old fart?
    Er... I believe it is old man. Not my favourite, either; but I didn't want to go in too hard on it for fear of upsetting poeple. I'd rather go for The Dambusters because I should think just about everyone must know, and probably like, it well (even the players) and it is a very stirring tune.

• The entry of the gladiators should be played problem would be that in the days it was played the team ran on to the pitch passed a few balls around and the ref would have the game started within a few minutes, now I guess the momentom would be lost because the games take so long to start.

• edited April 2016

Fair play to the club, I'm informed they have confirmed the teams will run out to Willie Hightower tonight: