Skip to content

The Opposition View - Wimbledon

Gloating & moaning from the increasingly obnoxious Dons

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=441140

Comments

• Oh dear oh dear oh dear!! Windlesham Don Football 2-1 Wycombe??? What game was he at?ive not seen 2 more anti football team this season. Wimbledon out wycombed us. Neither team played any attractive football. I also don't think I've seen any team with more arrogant players than them. if they were running away with the league fair enough but they are just above mid table, oh and that's right below us!!!

• Sometimes I agree with the comments from opposition fans and sometimes I can understand their moans about us and sometimes I just sit and wonder about the bare hypocrisy they spout. Today, it's certainly the latter!

I thought Wimbledon were one of the most horrible, cynical teams I've seen at AP this season. Yes they thoroughly deserved their win, but basically they just did the nasty things much better than we did. I'd hardly describe yesterday as a victory for football, anything but in fact!

• "Neither team played any attractive football ". Excuse me! Until the opening goal which should never have been if the incompetent referee had spotted just one of the fouls in the build-up, Wycombe were playing delightful football. After that they were simply out-muscled.

• If you call that delightful you have very low expectations!

• The period before their goal has clearly been expunged from your memory @mooneyman because, short as it was, we were passing the ball quickly on the deck far better than for many a game. We had no cutting edge when we got near goal though and that has been the case for a long time.
    My expectations are low indeed but I wanted to underline the fact that, up to the first goal, we were at least playing good football and at that stage I was therefore delighted.

• yes we did play some great stuff and the goal which shouldn't have been killed us a bit.

• Absolutely bizarre comments when you consider that they're primary tactic was to boot it up to a big centre forward.

Normally one or two teams in league two manage to play some really good football. Burton last season and Northampton this year for example. Wimbledon are nowhere near that.

• We were piss poor... Fact. We have been poor for sometime. We have been going backwards this year. Hearing the same old excuses every week is boring.

• I think the shock of having their club stolen has turned a lot of dons fans into obnoxious aholes so I think I will skip their views vital

• An awful game, played by two awful teams, officiated by an awful ref.

It wasn't very good.

Wimbledon fans can tell themselves they're Barcelona if they want. In reality they were one of the most cynical, dirty sides I've seen at AP in a while (and that includes us). At least we can admit we're gash. A half-decent side would have beaten us 4/5-0 yesterday. If that's really one of their better performances then they could be in trouble in the near future. The irony of their fans howling about every free kick they conceded was not lost on anyone - they clearly believed they didn't commit a single foul all game. I used to have some sympathy for them, but they have gradually morphed into a horrible lower-league version of the club they replaced, but with the added horror of these PNL-style delusions of grandeur.

I think the problem was, Wimbledon quickly realised they could get away with it and just kept pushing and pushing. Yes, we were awful, but so were they and as others have said, they simply did a better job of "game management" than we did. This started as early as the 33rd minute when Taylor stood with the ball at his feet, refusing to return it to JJ for a free kick, waited for Jacobson to retrieve the ball, then argued (successfully) with the ref that the ball wasn't in the right place. The game became more farcical as it went on and was summed up in the later stages by Harriman's shameful attempt to slap the ball into the net and the Wimbledon player who broke up a late attack by simply catching the ball.

Such a shame, as the first 10 minutes we seemed to be passing it about quite nicely, but when we fell behind we straight away resorted to whacking it long, usually via the ozone layer. Thommo, in fairness, won a fair few of his headers, but never had anyone to knock them down to. The only positives were the performances of McGinn and Sellars, who were the only two players to show any consistent attacking intent.

We've got a hugely winnable game at York next week. I would love it if we went there and played passing, attacking football and stuck to that plan even if we fall behind. I suspect we won't though, as our players have had cynical hoofball tactics drummed into them.

• I reckon a tenner on a 1-0 defeat to York next week would be a good bet.

• I only managed to listen to the commentary, but all I could hear were the Wimbledon fans berating Ainsworth and Wycombe in general. More so than I've heard any other fans do this season, including Oxford and Bristol Rovers.

I find it very strange why is there so much animosity towards Ainsworth especially. Sure, he's not a club legend for Wimbledon, but he was one of the Krazy Gang, and admired for playing nasty football. Why are they so appalled he encourages nasty football as a manager?

• The irony of berating another team for playing ugly football is obviously lost on Wimbledon fans. Strange isn't it, that a club we should naturally feel an affinity with, are one of the most consistently obnoxious in the league.

• Yes, I found the abuse of Ainsworth by their fans very strange. I couldn't hear what they were singing at him, but it clearly affected him. At one stage he turned to the their fans and made a 'what have I done'? style gesture at them.

They may have been superior to us on the pitch, but they were also superior to us in the dark arts of time wasting and game management and there's not many clubs that can claim that! Any moral superiority they think they have over us is very, very misplaced I'm afraid!

• I couldn't believe the abuse aimed at GA by those obnoxious goons. The vitriol spouted by them regarding, what I presume is the tactics they perceive promoted by GA? Well the current club AFC Wimbledon is supposedly born of the original Wimbledon. That Wimbledon found it's fame, (in fact could be accused of being the founder), of the dark arts of the modern game. Added to which, that Wimbledon also used intimidation to the very extreme and beyond. So it is somewhat ironic and hypocritical that they now hurl abuse at one of the team that practices, in part, some of those tactics. As mentioned by others, I used to have sympathy with their plight & struggles added to an admiration for their recent successes, all of which, for me is evaporating with each occasion that we meet. I am almost wishing them a brush with our experience of two seasons ago!

• I donated some money to that lot when they were getting off the ground. Yesterday, I regretted it and that's nothing to do with the result.

They start from the best PR position as a group of supporters and are doing all they can to undermine it. That twat in the bar who interrupted Paul Hayes' post match Q&A is a good example. An odious bunch of people.

• @micra @rmjlondon Spot on. Since the game finished there has been hardly any mention in either the match reports, or on here (or other forums), of the first ten minutes, when we played the ball around at pace, largely on the deck (albeit without creating any real chances). Their first goal knocked the stuffing out of us. Who knows how the game would have progressed if that goal hadn't happened?

• Quite, Which makes it all the more frustrating that as soon as we fell behind we seemed to get our knickers in a knot and immediately started trying to hit passes to Tim Peake. If we'd stuck to playing how we had in the first 10 minutes, it could have been a very different game.

• We had 10 minutes of tippy tappy football. We never looked like scoring and couldn't keep it going once Wimbledon put some pressure on us. We're not built for this style of play in my opinion.

• "Not built for this style of play". Not sure what that means.

• We don't have enough players good enough on the ball to play a close passing style.

• we have what we have and it will be better that we don't make the playoffs or if we do only for financial reasons, we don't want to go up and be battered every week.

• I don't know about you but I'd love to go up.

• well I can assure you we have no chance, we won't win another game playing how we did on saturday and he is too stubborn to change it now ..... lets get to the summer and have a good clear out and start again.

• Luckily we'll have at least Bean back so we won't be playing the same team again.

• I doubt we will play another game like that rmj. Bad day at the office. But not the end of the world. We are not three points off the bottom, folks. Still in with a shout and yes, we were playing quite well until they scored...but their strikers had the measure of AS and AP from the very start and I was surprised they did not get a pen earlier than they did considering all the dodgy wrestling going on. The officials were also awful. The biggest disappointment for me was JJ...the worst game I've seen from him in a Wycombe shirt. As for the abuse for GA...I have no idea what that was about but there was no need for it.

• @rmjlondon said:
    well I can assure you we have no chance, we won't win another game playing how we did on saturday and he is too stubborn to change it now ..... lets get to the summer and have a good clear out and start again.

Silly, stubborn Gareth. Why won't he listen to the Adams Park tea boy?

• Has he got promotion then?

• No, not yet; but neither are we anywhere near relegation. Be thankful.

Back to JJ for a moment. Agreed that he didn't have a great game but did anyone else notice how unwell he looked when he left the pitch? He might have been playing through this illness which has, allegedly, been sweeping the squad recently.