Skip to content

Loan watch

124»

Comments

• Tracking is a useful idea, but surely our analysis goes beyond just recording mileage, as you could run 10miles a game and a lot of it be useless running, compared to 6miles a game of well thought out stuff.

• Good point. I wonder if the GPS gadgets were part of the AAH ( and Banton) issue. They'd probably both have been fairly low down the list come "feedback time" - followed by arguments about the justification/relevance, etc...

• I reckon the two metrics most pored over by management are distance covered and a heat-map to show positional discipline. I think Ainsworth will sign a lot of young players this summer who'll be happy to run about all season long. Some of them will be good, some of them will be dross. If one or two go on to generate transfer fees at some stage the youth-recruitment policy will be considered good business. However I do wonder whether players like Sam Saunders, at the twilight of their careers but with a variety of lower-league suitors, will choose to come to play for a manager who'll expect 100% commitment each match. I hope so, and only time will tell. But to address @DevC 's point earlier, I wonder whether the treatment of Banton and AAH this season will make talented players think twice about whether it's in their best interests to become 'Wycombeised' - it's a lot of effort given the likelihood we won't be able to pay the highest salaries anytime soon.

• Sam Saunders will be long past it before he is back here again if he ever is.

• @aloysius - If Banton is a 'talented" player as you say, can you please explain why he has already been at 9 different clubs in 5 Years? Are all the managers at those clubs unaware of his supposed talent?

• A player very like Sam Saunders did want to come play for Ainsworth last year.

• @aloysius , I'm intrigued at the idea that some players think they can just stroll in and not give 100% commitment each game?

Surely that's the minimum for a professional!?

• Heard a really interesting seminar recently where the GPS Prozone system used by Clive Woodwards England rugby team was a topic. It was pretty clear the system and its results could be managed in a few ways. One player had a very unique approach to getting his stats right.

• edited March 2016

yes because he was desperate for game time, he has since signed a new deal at Brentford and the way they are going they could be relegated which would suit Saunders even more as thats probably his level @Chris

• I hadn't seen he'd signed a new deal. Shame as would have been nice to have fantasised about him joining us all summer before the inevitable disappointment!

@Malone I don't think I disagree with you. In my view 100% commitment is working your hardest for a Wycombe victory every minute you're on a pitch. It does not necessarily mean running about like a headless chicken every minute you're on the pitch to prove your dedication. I fear that GA's definition of 100% commitment is closer to the latter than the former, hence why I imagine some classy, creative players may think twice about signing for us.

@mooneyman I'm not sure I agree that there's a correlation between talent and staying at one club for an extended period. If he lacks talent, as you seem to be implying, why have Notts County taken him on (and started him in every match since Jan)?

@Chris Saunders came to us last season in order to get his fitness levels back up. If there's one thing Gareth Ainsworth can deliver, it's that ;-)

• @aloysius Quote: "If he lacks talent, as you seem to be implying, why have Notts County taken him on (and started him in every match since Jan)?"
    I'm not saying you are wrong about Banton but one also has to consider their form since the turn of the year together with the fate which has just befallen their latest manager Jamie Fullarton.

• The mighty Hartlepool decided after 4 games that he wasn' t good enough!

• Horses for courses.

• @aloysius; alas somebody singing from the same hymn sheet. Whole heartily agree with your assessment, others can disagree but IMO we are missing someone who can dictate play and provide quality balls and not the direct launch and press the opposition we overly rely on, that doesn't help our strikers, who ever that may be.

• edited March 2016

I'm sure the vast majority agree that a Sam Saunders would improve the team.

Would that it were so simple.

• @aloysius said:

Chris Saunders came to us last season in order to get his fitness levels back up. If there's one thing Gareth Ainsworth can deliver, it's that ;-)

Still wound up carrying an injury in the period leading up to the playoff final, aggravated by a strong challenge 10 seconds from kickoff. Even then the mighty Southend only just stole victory. A match of ifs and buts to be sure.

• This gas room is getting silly. Maybe time to pull the plug.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    This gas room is getting silly. Maybe time to pull the plug.

Bye then.

• Bye bye Blue.

• the flouncers always come back in time...

• AAH off injured that Soccer Saturday says is a bad one. Feel for the lad.

• Young with a huge goal to level for Wealdstone at Oldham

• 3-0 Wrexham at Crewe. Not sure this is the confidence boost Max needed.

• Crewe had a player sent off just after half time

• Jack Young's goal for Wealdstone at Oldham, his first in senior football.

https://x.com/WealdstoneFC/status/1782332859774054716?t=Nia-cvQriiszCY-cibNffg&s=09

Like many on here, I am surprised by his absence from our squad. The few times he played for us, he has looked good, as he apparently has in his loan spells at Ayr and Wealdstone.

• Jack surely won't get that time and space in the box against L1 defences surely? 🤷‍♂️