Skip to content

Loan watch

Comments

• Harriman scored twice against Hartlepool at home.

• With all due respect, "saving him for Tuesday". Have to laugh.

This is a guy who has barely played all season, so doesn't need any "resting".

Oldham are a poor team, Holloway will do very well to make enough impact to get a contract.
    If he doesn't, how low will the drop be? Conference? Conference South?

• Good morning. All went wrong when AAH was pushed aside after Thommo and Ugwu joined us, as the Gaffer preferred others to spear the attack. As for conference you are having a episode. AAH was denied a hat-trick by the Lino who has a worst eyesight than me as there was 3 defenders behind him as confirmed with the video still on his twitter account. AAH was also MOTM and in League's one's team of week. AAH didn't accept our contract as he was out of favor but c'mon why was that (it was speculated in the press and on twitter) Ainswoth would never have offered a contract if he was sh1t would he? AAH has 7 goals (2 goals in a sh1t L1 team, work that one out, should be a lot harder wouldn't you think to score in a poor side) for a season he has hardly played compared to with Thommo 8 unless I am mistaken so get real he's now match fit, why because he's getting more than 20 token minutes each week and not after we have gone a goal down.

Oldham fans are hoping they get him after the end of the season so all this slagging off (aka like bitter ex's) and twisted spite will get you nowhere so let it go, he's gone just hope we get a few quid for the club as he is under 24.

I'm a betting man as you know who wants to wager AAH will score more than Thommo? By the end of this season as the fact of the matter Sheridan has AAH playing in a system that gets the best out of him as oppose to being shoe horned in Ainsworth side that obviously don't. Horses for courses.

PS what's happened to Kretch, as supposedly was to become our number one striker? (Was said in a interview) Actually, all our strikers have suffered in our system where we hoof it or lump it, up top and direct, the majority of the time.

• Wycombe is a strikers graveyard. To read Hayes in the press this week bemoaning his lack of penalties is a very sad tale. Put very simply our strikers have to live of scraps and actually do a pretty good job considering.

• Strong words and strong feelings there @Ciderk1d. Have a deal of sympathy with them. @Malone seems to have changed his tune since his post on Sunday when, not unreasonably, he compared the AAH situation with that of Anthony Stewart last year. I'd like to think there could be a similar outcome but I fear the die is cast and that Spring is a better analogy (albeit there may have been other factors in play in that situation.)
    Max was never referred to as potentially our number one striker - just as a potential striker (which I think he is) but he is injured again.

• I wholeheartedly agree with @Ciderk1d. It's far too early to do a post-mortem on this season but the AAH episode deserves some proper scrutiny over the fallow summer months. I remember people giving Gareth Ainsworth a lot of credit for his man-management of Dean Morgan - until that went wrong. Since then we've also had Spring, Ephraim, Stewart, Morias, Murphy, Banton and Amadi-Holloway all leave the club under a cloud (of varying degrees of darkness). Given Ainsworth will almost certainly be our manager next season, I hope he reflects on the nature of a lot of these departures and perhaps adapts his man-management style accordingly. As people keep making the point, he's a young manager still learning the game. AAH provides an important lesson.

• edited March 2016

Deleted

• I think Angol is another case of someone who was not good enough at the time, but who perhaps could have been handled slightly differently. Not sure if anyone else remembers the video on the Borehamwood site where he says that being a part of the Wycombe squad made him come within a whisker of wanting to retire from football completely.

• @Malone said:
    With all due respect, "saving him for Tuesday". Have to laugh.

This is a guy who has barely played all season, so doesn't need any "resting".

Oldham are a poor team, Holloway will do very well to make enough impact to get a contract.
    If he doesn't, how low will the drop be? Conference? Conference South?

What a stupid comment.

• @aloysius I feel that your criticism of GA in handling the players you mentioned is ridiculous and I fully concur with rmjlondon's assessment of the situation. In view of Holloway's apparent improvement at Oldham an argument could be made that GA failed to motivate him. However if that is the case, Holloway himself must take some of the blame as he showed nothing this season when he was given opportunities on the pitch other than apathy and disinterest.

• edited March 2016

I don't know enough about the circumstances of why individual players left to really the argue the toss - all I know is that the number of players leaving under a cloud during GA's management is high and if you look through the names, you'll see a particular type of player failing to thrive under him.

Just because Ainsworth didn't bring in the player himself, doesn't mean it's not incumbent upon him as manager to try to get the most out of them. If he had played Spring instead of Lewis alongside Scowen the midfield would have been more balanced, Morgan would have got more through balls and we might have avoided a relegation dog fight. If Murphy had been allowed to develop a partnership with Bean we might not have needed the play-offs (similarly the assists provided by Saunders might well have been provided by Ephraim had he been given a chance). This season, a 4-4-2 with Banton on the left ahead of Wood may have created many more goals, especially if the strikeforce was more balanced than Hayes and Thompson.

Who knows.

In my view, one of Ainsworth's least attractive management traits is what appears to be a desire to mold all his players in his own image. Everyone needs to be aggressive, gung-ho, wear their heart on their sleeve, run like crazy, track back all the time, etc. Players who aren't of that mindset but might like to sit on the ball a bit more and play a measured pass, don't seem to get much of a look-in (Spring, Murphy, Ephraim, Holloway, McGinn until very recently).

For all Gary Waddock's faults - and there were also many - he understood the need to create a balanced team. For every Spring he signed, there was an Ainsworth. Betsy was allowed to roam free rather than being constrained. Sure, we weren't aggressive or disciplined enough towards the end - but towards the start we played some beautiful football. And before you all jump on me for bringing up Waddock, let's not forget he did what Ainsworth has failed so far to do - get us promoted out of League Two.

deleted

I think @rmjlondon makes a fair point about Stewart though. No blame for Ainsworth on that one. He's wrong about Murphy - I was told by sources very close to the man that he was dropped after going forward for a corner against orders and told he'd not play again.

• Comparing Waddock's achievements with GA is a bit unfair, as I suspect (although have no concrete evidence) that GA's wage budget is considerably lower than Waddocks was.

• Just a little reminder Gentlemen, that this appalling Man-Manager has defied one of the lowest budgets in the league and lead his club to Wembley for the first time in 20+ years and remarkably its far from impossible he may repeat the feat again this season. GA's methods seem to be remarkably effective on the pitch.

Meanwhile players at other clubs (who through the players network will have a very good idea what life is like at WWFC) seem keen to come, those that come on loan seem keen to extend and other clubs seem keen to trust their young talent to GA and his team. Stewart, having seen that the grass isn't necessarily greener elsewhere was very keen to come back.

It is in the nature of football fans on internet forums to find something to have a damn good moan about (I understand from my Plymouth supporting mate that they are debating at present on their board whether to sack their manager of nine months), but jesus guys if you are this negative now, what on earth are you going to be like if (or is it when) we have a more difficult season.

• Good post @DevC except on one fundamental point. I'm sure you'll claim that you were exaggerating for effect/irony in your opening sentence but no-one has made the slightest suggestion that GA is an "appalling man-manager". On the contrary, many have referred over the past18 months to his ability to attract good young players who, in most cases have been happy to extend loans, return to the club or sign a permanent contract.

• Unless anyone has proof, let's not be making or repeating speculative accusations of criminal behaviour against current or former Wycombe Wanderers players. It's libellous, and will result in a ban if it carries on.

• why was my post deleted and by whom ??? back to big brother chris again ???

• Why do you think?

• no idea, as nobody wrote anything just deleted it and if you do so then you should say why.

• I have always thought GA was punching above our weight and admire the way he goes about his work. I have no idea what the problem with AAH was, although like others I was surprised that he was displaced by Thommo and I think that obviously hit him hard after a good end to the season. I would have thought a forward three (if that's what we want to play) of AAH, Hayes and Ugwe, with Thommo as a back-up would have been quite effective and push us forward from last year, but I am no football manager. The problem we have is consistency, very rarely (it seems to me) playing the same team and still those too late or perplexing substitutions. I do however think there are signs we are putting together a decent run to the play-offs! (Famous last words!)

• I would say signing Garry Thompson on a 2 year deal may prove to be a mistake but Im sure GA is allowed to make a few considering what he has done for the club.

• I've been impressed by Thompson; he's strong, fast, works hard, and has experience of the game. AAH might go on to be a better player, although on balance I'd say that's unlikely (love to be wrong!), but Thompson has contributed far more in his appearances this season.

I'd take the upside of the results in the last season and a half if it means the downside that players unwilling or unable to graft and fulfill defensive roles don't stick around for long. And let's not forget that Ephraim was offered a contract for this year, and Saunders was brought in on loan, so it's not like Ainsworth is entirely focused on putting together team of Stuart Lewises.

• edited March 2016

deleted

• Interesting to note the different moderator approach on this thread. Deleting the offensive post but not banning the offensive poster is a much better way to go than banning the poster but leaving the post.
    Just wondering why if the moderator is convinced the poster this time is the same as last time why they are not banned again?

• @DevC you do exagerate don't you. I actually quite like a manager who is prepared to butt heads with certain players. Managers are not there to be universally liked. St. Martin started his reign with a public falling out with Steve Abbley and I have no problems with players being released if they don't fit the bill. Any manager prepared to act and admit a mistake is a stronger manager in my view.

• it was not offensive it is a matter of record and anybody can check that.

• edited March 2016

Deleted

• Provide such evidence, or if you mention anything on this topic again then you'll be banned.

• you just want to ban me chris, well Im not giving you the chance.

• You are very strange. I have no desire to ban anyone. I'd like a) to not have libellous comments on this board, and b) threads to not be all about you. Also c) automatic promotion but I suspect that one is out of reach, so let's concentrate on the achievable goals.

• @Chris I'd like a gasroom where one poster wasn't able to ban another.