Skip to content

Joe Jacobson

2»

Comments

• I'd say it's a close call between Mickey Bell and JJ. Bell was great going forward and not too shabby defensively. JJ's weakness does appear to be where he keeps backing off but thinking about it I'd say more often than not he does end up stopping the attacker with a well timed block or interception.

• Vinnicombe deserves an honourable mention too I think.

• Wot? No mention of Chris Vinnicombe here? That surprises me.

• What about Frank Westley? Who? I hear many asking.

• I googled Frank Westley, as I was curious. In the process, I uncovered this video of the Amateur Cup Final defeat:

• From me Mickey Bell and Vinnie require honourable mentions.

• Mickey bell was the more exciting player for me as he had more pace but both very good in their own right

• @bill_stickers Thanks for posting that link.

• @bill_stickers yes, thanks. It's frankly astonishing for anyone under a certain age to see a crowd that size watching an amateur game.

• I was in that crowd. The Amateur Cup was taken seriously by the media as well as by the supporters. Look at the size of the crowds we had at Loakes Park in the previous rounds. I don't say "those were the days" about many things but that really was a great occasion. Pity we lost, as we did in the two earlier semi-finals against "the Bishops"

• Alan Beeton surely?

• Andy Sandell was the best centre forward we ever had though.

• @bill_stickers said:
    I googled Frank Westley, as I was curious. In the process, I uncovered this video of the Amateur Cup Final defeat:

Marvellous and a fairly decent gate to boot. Headgear galore but not a tea-cosy in sight.

• You don't tend to see rosettes these days, were all the rage in yesteryear.

• I was delighted to see the club shop selling rosettes on saturday. Snapped one up immediately (although still disappointed they weren't around for Wembley)

• Maybe we should start a rosette trend again......maybe I'll post a link to a "make your own rosette" webpage and have everyone going to villa wearing light/dark blue rosettes!

• I did briefly hear a rattle being used in the Woodlands on Saturday. Not sure that's a trend I want to bring back.

• Agreed, think it would end up Bing a rattle suppository if next to me in a Saturday I'm afraid.

• Being.... Bloody auto carrot

• Auto carrot! Love it.